Food! [The thread that started this section]

Sadly half the world thinks Arabs = Persians.

Yeah, that definitely is an issue that bugs a lot of Iranian folk.

In this case though I don't think it was a matter of confusing Persian and Arab people - it's not that most people know the dish I posted as an Arab dish because they think Iran is an Arab country, it's that they didn't even know there was an Iranian type of kebab and that it was by all accounts the origin of all styles of kebab.

It's a huge shame that lately Iran's contribution to the world is funding Hezbollah and creating tension across the Middle East, even though Iran has contributed so much to so many areas from culinary items to mathematics to medicine - aside from the last century or so.

At any rate, glad you liked my post and sorry to politicize this thread. It's just annoying that people know Iran for all the wrong reasons and none of the good ones.

Bought chinese food:

IMG_20110410_215539.jpg

Probably not ultra premium but oh well, for 7 bucks its awesome! And way better than yet another 2 slices of pizza..

Throwback how I miss thee, I haven't had cola for like a month. :(

What is that anyway? Orange chicken? And the stuff all over the top of it?

Looks like sesame chicken and those are sesame seeds....

[video=youtube;0-jCjn3EotI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jCjn3EotI[/video]

Throwback how I miss thee, I haven't had cola for like a month. :(

What is that anyway? Orange chicken? And the stuff all over the top of it?

Clockwerk's correct, its sesame chicken...sadly it tastes kinda funky now the more i eat it....some spice or something....bummer too cause the rice itself was great...now though..blechh...dunno if i'll finish it tbh...i might refrigerate it and try again tomorrow...

I don't usually get sesame chicken here though...i was just in a rush not knowing when the place closed and when i got there it looked like it was closing time so i hurried :/

Looks like sesame chicken and those are sesame seeds....

[video=youtube;0-jCjn3EotI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jCjn3EotI[/video]

Bingo! :lol: at the video btw..

Last edited:
I recognize the sesame seeds, I'm talking about the stuff next to it.

I guess it's rice with an off colour?

I recognize the sesame seeds, I'm talking about the stuff next to it.

I guess it's rice with an off colour?

Correct, it's some sort of fried rice. Ironically the rice was very good...wish i didnt mix it all in now :/

Went to local Indonesian restaurant w friends last week, some familiar dishes to me, some new

Martabak - some tortilla filled w meat and vegetables

5608827176_1b08a8cac8_z.jpg

Cumi cumi goreng - squid sauteed in butter n garlic

5608246327_8bd37eaee3_z.jpg

flat rice noodles similar to chow fan

5608831752_99d7d94516_z.jpg

Nasi goreng, indonesian fried rice w chicken satay skewers topped w fried egg

5608833922_9763045592_z.jpg

curry & steamed fish

5608253271_e42e0d3133_z.jpg

I had Taco Bell for lunch since I was out of the city picking up computer parts. There's no Taco Bells in Vancouver, only some of the more outer lying suburbs.

Any old way, I had a Crunchwrap Supreme. It was actually okay, I ate it pretty willingly which is unlike my previous two Taco Bell experiences.

One time about a year ago, I got in my car and decided to randomly drive until I found a Taco Bell... which surprisingly I did (as I said, they are very rare around here) but I ended up ordering the chilli cheese burritos which tasted horrible and also exploded all over me and the car.

Second time around I went down in LA, and I was disappointed because the combo came with two small hard shell tacos instead of fries which are customary when you make it a meal in most fast food outlets.

So yeah, third time was the charm I guess. Fries were really shitty though, they are the same crap that KFC sells (the ones that feel like sandpaper).

Last edited:
So yeah, third time was the charm I guess. Fries were really shitty though, they are the same crap that KFC sells (the ones that feel like sandpaper).

That's because KFC, Taco Bell, and others are owned by the same conglomerate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yum!_Brands

You'll even see a few "dual-branded" resturants here with say Taco Bell on one side and KFC on the other...it's strange yet works relatively well asthetically:

11yum.583.jpg

Last edited:
The Taco Bell Pizza Hut ones don't work at all, though, as the pizzas are pre-made personal pizzas and breadsticks and they are pretty horrible.

The local A&W/KFC is alright, though, as it seems like it's not an "express" version of either place.

I know they are all owned by the same company, doesn't mean they necessarily need to share menu items.

For instance we have some Wendy's and Tim Hortons together but they only share a roof and nothing more.

Oh and all Taco Bells are with KFCs here, though KFC itself can be standalone and is all over the city.

I tried the turkey burger at Hardee's/Carl's Jr. today....tasted better than the beef burgers they sell.

Reactions: TC
Second time around I went down in LA, and I was disappointed because the combo came with two small hard shell tacos instead of fries which are customary when you make it a meal in most fast food outlets.

In the USA , Taco Bells dont have fries...only in Canada(found that out when I was in Toronto...). Usually with combo meals they have chips, which are usually horrid.

I had the carmel one.Pretty good, but for the price I didn't think it was all THAT much better than:
nestledrumstick_jpg.jpg

They seemed a lot like Dove bars, but slightly larger, actually.

I tried the turkey burger at Hardee's/Carl's Jr. today....tasted better than the beef burgers they sell.

Read this last night, so I tried one for lunch today. I agree, it's pretty good.

Read this last night, so I tried one for lunch today. I agree, it's pretty good.

I <3 turkey burger's in general...I might have to walk across campus and get one tomorrow...*rubs chin*