Food! [The thread that started this section]

nicjasno and I made some chilli con carne yesterday and here's a 90 second video of the entire 6 hour process:

Wine?
Corn?
I?ve heard of chili recipes with beer...care to disclose it?
/me drools.

Quick rundown:

2.5kg of onions
2.5kg of minced beef

Simmer the onions in 0.7 litres of olive oil, add meat into which you've mixed in chilli powder (how much depends on you, we used a whole spice bottle), while that's cooking, mix up the sauce and beans.
0.85kg of pelati, 1 litre of tomato sauce, half a litre of chili tomato sauce, 0.5 litres of red beans, 2 garlic pods, chopped, salt, pepper, origano, kumin, paprika and freshly chopped habaneros (to heat level).
30 minutes after the meat, add a litre of wine, mix and let cook for another hour, add sauce.
After 30 minutes add 500g of sweet corn (drain the cans) and after another 30 minutes add a small pack of croutons, so it loosely covers the surface. They will soak up the grease the accumulates on top. After they do that (you might have to help them a bit by dunking), mix them in, add a spoonful of honey and let cook for at least another hour (or until it reaches the right consistency).

Pork away!

Quick rundown:

2.5kg of onions
2.5kg of minced beef

Simmer the onions in 0.7 litres of olive oil, add meat into which you've mixed in chilli powder (how much depends on you, we used a whole spice bottle), while that's cooking, mix up the sauce and beans.
0.85kg of pelati, 1 litre of tomato sauce, half a litre of chili tomato sauce, 0.5 litres of red beans, 2 garlic pods, chopped, salt, pepper, origano, kumin, paprika and freshly chopped habaneros (to heat level).
30 minutes after the meat, add a litre of wine, mix and let cook for another hour, add sauce.
After 30 minutes add 500g of sweet corn (drain the cans) and after another 30 minutes add a small pack of croutons, so it loosely covers the surface. They will soak up the grease the accumulates on top. After they do that (you might have to help them a bit by dunking), mix them in, add a spoonful of honey and let cook for at least another hour (or until it reaches the right consistency).

Pork away!

Thanks!
Sounds delicious! :D

Nearly a liter of oil is too much, but a tablespoon will not be enough to sweat those down.

Technically, sweating onions means cooking out most of the liquid/'water' inside them so you don't really need much oil. If you keep moving them they won't burn.

Ate this thing on my trip to Chicago over the weekend:

pizza.png

Already forgot the name of the restaurant. Started with a G... erm... whatever.

Gioridano's or something like that. I've been there before. It was alright. I was expecting something spectacular so I might have been lining myself up for failure.

Yesterday I was in NYC. Had an Israel flashback with lunch (maybe it was second lunch) at Aroma Espresso Bar. Aroma is a big chain from Israel that recently launched in America. A bit pricey, but the frozen coffee and lemonade are actually killer and the grilled halumi cheese sandwich was awesome, and be bread was still warm from the oven.

c2f122055c4aeb076ca82131862d8b8a19f08ff4_wmeg.jpg

Today I made myself an epic sandwich as a snack. Here is is, pre-assembly:

f0a6d44b5562a0762a0cd3f2adcc065ef3564d83_400r.jpg

Toasted English Muffin
Homemade Bean (Not Chickpea, I'm allergic) Hummus
Seared Tuna Steak
Cucumber
Tomato
Onion
Pickle
Peppadew Peppers

Gioridano's or something like that. I've been there before. It was alright. I was expecting something spectacular so I might have been lining myself up for failure.

That's the place.

I wasn't expecting spectacular, since I don't normally like pizza. This stuff I liked though. Felt strange having the sauce on top of the cheese but that's possibly what made it taste good to someone who doesn't like pizza.

Technically, sweating onions means cooking out most of the liquid/'water' inside them so you don't really need much oil. If you keep moving them they won't burn.
Yeah but they were using a cast iron pot, in order to prevent sticking a decent amount of oil is needed to lube the bottom.

Yesterday I was in NYC. Had an Israel flashback with lunch (maybe it was second lunch) at Aroma Espresso Bar. Aroma is a big chain from Israel that recently launched in America. A bit pricey, but the frozen coffee and lemonade are actually killer and the grilled halumi cheese sandwich was awesome, and be bread was still warm from the oven.

Halloumi...:drool: