DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Looks like something out of a Lovecraft novel

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Cabbage was on sale, so I decided to try my hand at kimchi… ask me again how that went in two weeks or so 😝

So?? :)

I can't eat at restaurants, and take-out burgers suck. We don't make them at home very often, but I was *really* craving one.

King's Hawaiian pretzel buns, sharp cheddar, bacon, canned crispy fried onion strings, arugula/rocket, tomato, mayo, brown deli mustard. The best-tasting burger I've made in a loooong time.

20220708_220146.jpg

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Nothing left … so I guess that went well and we’ll be doing it again! Awesome to just have around and throw into stuff you’re making or for a quick snack or something. Haven’t really gone into anything that was necessarily really a kimchi dish.
Except maybe those kimchi pancakes I made and didn’t take a picture of.
The best-tasting burger I've made in a loooong time
It does like rather tasty 😋

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
I think today I will go and see if I can get 70/30 mince meat for burgers for dinner.
For me, beyond 80/20 never browns since it more or less poaches in the fat. I imagine a larger cooking area would help, so it can spread thinner. :unsure:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
For me, beyond 80/20 never browns since it more or less poaches in the fat. I imagine a larger cooking area would help, so it can spread thinner. :unsure:
I normally never pan fry burgers. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also butcher doesn’t have it available today, I can ask for it and have it ready made the next day. They only had 90% lean :(

GRtak

Forum Addict
Goodbye ChocoTaco, I barely liked you.

Grab them before they disappear.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
They've changed. The shell used to be a bit flexible and chewy, like it was soaked in a syrup or something. It had a caramel-y-ness to it. At some point years back, they changed it to be crisper, dryer, and more bland shell. Haven't enjoyed them since.

Last edited:

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
Had a bun to use up. In retrospect, while I love banana in a PB&J, a whole banana is a bit much.

20220728_210905.jpg

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
One of my favorite lunches back when I worked in "the city", were the various food truck asian-fusion burritos. A sweet and savory beef, garlic rice, some sort of slaw, and sweet/spicy sauce, and a fried egg.

I saw that chuck roasts were on sale, so I thought I'd give them a try. I call it the "Bull-Gogi & Kim-cheat burrito"

- "Bull-gogi": Chuck roast from the slow cooker, in a cooking liquid of a store-bought Korean bulgogi beef-inspired sauce, apple juice, brown sugar, beef broth, sriracha and a boat-load of garlic.
- Garlic rice: left-over rice, cooked with another boat load of garlic
- "Kim-cheat": Faux kimchi made with store-bought slaw mix, some extra carrots, gochujang, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, salt, pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Fried egg
- Wrapped in a flour tortilla, then browned in a skillet

It *mostly* hit the spot. I wish I had larger, better tortillas, wish the meat weren't so "wet", the rice wasn't quite what I imagined, and it needed some other creamy sauce, maybe a cilantro sriracha sour cream/mayo sauce?

So while it wasn't perfect, it hit about 75%. Good enough until I can actually venture out of the house again long enough to get the object of my desires. Especially because my favorite two also put potato tots in them, but I had dirtied enough dishes with this already, so I skipped the tots.
:lol:

Not a particularly well-styled, attractive photo, I admit...
26850128_2025378337745458_2082014095191438127_o.jpg