Food! [The thread that started this section]

I counter your Chicken Dupiaza with a lamb Thika Bhoona - yummy scrummy for those - I've got to go to work in the morning and not pong moments. ....

Hey, another question about these weird hotness terms. Was used in Top Gear as well. Jalfreze for instance. WTF is that all about?

:lol: I can remember when they said that before. Now my Corrado, now that's a Chicken Phall :lol:

PHALL.jpg

:mrgreen:

Let's start a thread of how hot your car is by terms of curries :lol:

Last edited:
Hey, another question about these weird hotness terms. Was used in Top Gear as well. Jalfreze for instance. WTF is that all about?
OK Ice it's like a Madras but with green peppers (capsicum) and some tomatoes. Translating er ... hot but nice - sorry best I can do. Curry, the very best food to accompany a decent (Belgian - of course) beer BTW.

Are you 'mental' - then order a chicken phal BTW. One to be avoided if you like food.

I'm talking about all of them. Is there a site that explains them? Or has a scoville counter?

Well, i doubt any of it will phase me. There was only one thing so far that got to me and that was pure Naga Jalokia @ 1 mil scovilles.

*shrug*

It is not about the heat really, it is about what the whole thing tastes like, the heat from the chilli is an adjunct to the other ingredients - well it should be.
I know some people try to eat the hottest curry they can - I just blundered in when I was young, and let 'so called' friends order for me on a few occasions - mistake.

BTW getting a really good curry is more difficult that it seems in the UK and getting more difficult all the time as the first wave of chefs retires and the youngsters are not up to the job yet - seems to be all happening at once.

Probably because its not an answerable question - right give you the quick list:

1. Chicken or Lamb Korma - cream and armonds very cool and when well done (which it rarely is) is rather nice
2. Chicken Curry - rather nice and probably one to start with with a bit of spice
3. Jalfreeze/Madras similar heat - my favourites really like Thikka Jalfreeze and Prawn Madras - quite hot, make sure you have a popadum with salt on it to clean the palate whilst eating
4. Vindaloo - usually very hot and with potato, can be very nice when done well but pick side dishes carefully - a decent Nan Bread best IMHO
5. Anything labelled Phal - avoid.
6. A Portsmouth specialiaty but may be available around and about Tindaloo - avoid (you could send the Royal Navy to sea with this and they'd not need refueling ever!).
7. Balti Curry - very nice especially if bought in the English Midlands or Glasgow for some strange reason.
8. Chicken Masala (is that how it is spelled?) again very nice and recommended, btw no Indian would eat most of this stuff Brits only.

I really dislike Korma. Tastes too "coconutty" for my likeing and way too sweet.

:puke:

The thing that's amusing is that all of these supposedly spicy curries pale in comparison to the real thing. A british vindaloo is less spicy by far than most indian curries (pretty much similar ballpark to milder curries).

Er you've been on a piss up in Portsmouth on a Friday night with the Navy and gone for a Tindaloo after chucking out time then? No, I do not think you have.

As we are on the topic of Indian Food, What starters do you all like?

Some that I do:

1.) Onion Bhajees
2.)Poppadoms
3.)Pakoras
4.)Samosas
5.)Shami Kebab

Most i've enjoyed hot food was in an Iranian restaurant, so hot even the old owner wouldn't touch it. :D

Prawn on Puri my favourite.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one, :D

Enough of talking about food though, I'm going :sleeping:, I forgot the time was 11:35PM!

What?!

What did you eat? Pretty much most Iranian dishes are anything but spicy.

Most i've enjoyed hot food was in an Iranian restaurant, so hot even the old owner wouldn't touch it. :D

The thing that's amusing is that all of these supposedly spicy curries pale in comparison to the real thing. A british vindaloo is less spicy by far than most indian curries (pretty much similar ballpark to milder curries).

Well, most curry houses in UK are mostly run by Bangladeshis, and they usually make there curries hotter than the real Indian stuff

And all this N.Indian food talk is making me want some good old S.Indian food(Sambar, Idli, Dosa(watering mouth...). :mrgreen:

And all this N.Indian food talk is making me want some good old S.Indian food(Sambar, Idli, Dosa(watering mouth...). :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, a couple of large masala dosais with some good sambar and coconut chutney. And a couple of thair vadas as well. Mmmnnnnn. :)

800px-Idly_sambar_vada.JPG

800px-Dosa-chutney-sambhar.jpg

And here's a little chart of some South Indian Cuisine.

Chennai_Veg_Cuisine.JPG

/Yeah, I'm South Indian, big woop, wanna fight about it? :p

Last edited:
FUCK YEAH SOUTH INDIAN FOOD. I loves me some keralan chicken curry with appam.