Food! [The thread that started this section]

So you're telling us basically that you're craving for two hours of continuous fire inside your mouth? :p

Oh yes, I like eating spicy food until it makes me cry lol. Although I tend to have arrabbiata only when I'm sick to clear my sinuses with the chilli, and I do feel a bit sick tonight.

I am seriously craving Arrabbiata pasta right now. It's 3:30 am, and I'm a hopeless cook. I wish there was a 24 hour italian restaurant in Sydney :p
Last week I was at photokina and we found an awesome italian restaurant in D?sseldorf called Da Noi and that's where I first had some Penne Arrabbiata and it was fucking delicious. A bit different than the standard recipe, though, had a few black olives, which made the whole thing to die for. It was spicy, hot enough for most people, but I just shrugged it off, hehe. I'm yet to find a spicy dish that can make me wince.

The whole experience was awesome too. The main waiter, who not only spoke only in Italian (understood german, english and french at least as well) also looked like he just stepped out of a 30s gangster movie. Music played in the background were arias, mostly by Pavarotti, we got free antipasti of toasted bread, mozarella cheese, cherry tomatoes and olive oil and the best thing, for us photographers, was they had opus books by accomplished photographers and general photography books (one was about Ali) for their customers to peruse while waiting for food.

I had a pizza the first time (cause I was an idiot). It was good, but not the best I've ever had and not nearly on the level of the pasta or steaks. For desserts we had Panna Cotta, which is one of the most delicious desserts I've ever tasted. Not super sweet, had its own unique, fresh taste and topped with a dash of syrup.

The people in there were also a lot more stylish than what you see normally in restaurants or in Germany at all, so we probably sullied the same experience for them, I suppose. :lol:

On the whole I'm giving this place 5/5 and whenever I'm in D?sseldorf, I'll be eating there. Also, I was surprised at how much Italian I was able to think of. :)

I just made these:

e7849ce15e248f0e2407f07dea67da38.jpg

They are called Ban Chang Kueh, Apom Balik, or Peanut Pancakes. They're a malaysian treat of a pancake which is crispy on the outside and crumpet like on the inside, and have crushed peanuts and sugar inside. I was going to take a photo of mine but we ate them all...

OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I just made these:

e7849ce15e248f0e2407f07dea67da38.jpg

They are called Ban Chang Kueh, Apom Balik, or Peanut Pancakes. They're a malaysian treat of a pancake which is crispy on the outside and crumpet like on the inside, and have crushed peanuts and sugar inside. I was going to take a photo of mine but we ate them all...

OMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Do want quite badly.

I had a pizza the first time (cause I was an idiot). It was good, but not the best I've ever had and not nearly on the level of the pasta or steaks. For desserts we had Panna Cotta, which is one of the most delicious desserts I've ever tasted. Not super sweet, had its own unique, fresh taste and topped with a dash of syrup.

The question is, what you were comparing it with. The original pizza Italian style has a very thin dough and is made in a stone oven. You cannot compare it to what they sell you at Pizza Hutt or similar places...

It's not that hard to find good Italian restaurants in about every town in Germany. The problem is to find one, which actually offers a bit more, than the standard pizza/pasta stuff. Here in town we have an Italian restaurant with a chef, who used to be a member of the Italian national cooking team (I suppose there are some kind of cooking world championships) and if you want to eat good there, forget the menu and order what's been written on the chalkboard on the wall.

I recently read of a new Italian restaurant in Hamburg, which has been decorated inside to look like a place right out of a mafia movie. I wanna go there some day.

There are also Italian restaurants who offer a "Mafia Dinner", where you can eat while witnessing the quarrel of two rivalling mafia clans in the restaurant -- played by actors of course ;)

Such "event gastronomy" becomes more and more popular here. Usually they contain some kind of play, sometimes with the guests involved. "Dinnerkrimi" (dinner criminal) is touring from restaurant to restaurant for example and you have to solve a murder case in the course of the evening.

Then of course there are the middle age events called "knights tables", which have been popular since the 1970's already, where you get food cooked by old recipes, which you have to eat only with your fingers (all you get is a knife to cut your meat off the roasts). with minstrels playing medieval music, etc.
pic-rittertafel.jpg
Rittersaal1.jpg

You are allowed to belch and fart, throw the bones behind you on the ground and must drink whenever your mug gets refilled. If you don't, you're put to pillory :) One tip for those meals: Dress in old clothes ;)

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/karoug/2010/10/02/DSC00348.JPG

Epic noms!

Then of course there are the middle age events called "knights tables", which have been popular since the 1970's already, where you get food cooked by old recipes, which you have to eat only with your fingers (all you get is a knife to cut your meat off the roasts). with minstrels playing medieval music, etc.
pic-rittertafel.jpg
Rittersaal1.jpg

You are allowed to belch and fart, throw the bones behind you on the ground and must drink whenever your mug gets refilled. If you don't, you're put to pillory :) One tip for those meals: Dress in old clothes ;)

I need this in my life. Badly. I'd put on my working overalls, fart, belch and overdose on alcohol and unhealthy food until the point of explosion.

That's bs. I don't want a play with my food. If I did, I'd go for a steak on Broadway.

Gotta agree with Ice there, I don't think I'd enjoy a meal with theatrics.

Last edited:
http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/6874/imagen0130.jpg

What you're looking here is pesto sauce, Alfredo sauce, chicken, saussage, mushrooms, melted yellow cheese, white cheese,mayo, ketchup, ground beef on red sauce, some things i don't recall and somewhere there are some french fries.

It took 3 people to down that thing, it tasted way better than it looks/sounds.

It took 3 people to down that thing, it tasted way better than it looks/sounds.

i certainly hope it did, any other way and it would've been lethal :p
that's one mother of a mixture, sounds pretty crazy to me :?

Maple pots des cr?me avec praline p?can. :cool: Picture could've been better but my mom and brother were like "aww, come on, I just want to eat it!" so I felt le rushed.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2010/10/05/CRW_8859.jpg

The recipe is really for almond praline, but pecans are ftw. I frigged up the praline topping on the first try because I've never done a caramel-y thing like that before and almost burned the caramel (almost, but not quite burned, but it tasted like crap anyways). It doesn't take long so redoing that wasn't a big deal and the second time I actually knew what I was doing and took it off the heat much faster and it was le perfect. An easy and very delicous dessert. Maple ftw.

That's bs. I don't want a play with my food. If I did, I'd go for a steak on Broadway.

Oh ssshhh... or I'll paste some pictures of Currywurst ;)

Gotta agree with Ice there, I don't think I'd enjoy a meal with theatrics.

What theatrics? Of course you can always enjoy your dinner with such events, no matter what happens before, after or inbetween the courses.

What theatrics? Of course you can always enjoy your dinner with such events, no matter what happens before, after or inbetween the courses.

Any theatrics... you know, how there's dinner theater or the Italian restaurants where a soprano comes and shouts opera music at you.

All I was saying is I like restaurants where the food is the only real focus. As in there's no period rules, costumes, music or anything else other than eating involved. That's just my opinion, I know you can go to a medieval restaurant purely to enjoy the food; it just would be a waste for me because I know I wouldn't enjoy the other aspects of the experience. :)

Best thing about those medieval restaurants.....no utensils! You get to rip that little game hen limb from limb with your bare hands!

Any theatrics... you know, how there's dinner theater or the Italian restaurants where a soprano comes and shouts opera music at you.

All I was saying is I like restaurants where the food is the only real focus. As in there's no period rules, costumes, music or anything else other than eating involved. That's just my opinion, I know you can go to a medieval restaurant purely to enjoy the food; it just would be a waste for me because I know I wouldn't enjoy the other aspects of the experience. :)

So when you're taking a girl to a restaurant, you're telling her: "Shut up, I want to enjoy my meal!", so the food stays in your focus? :D

Seriously: You simply cannot enjoy good food in the wrong atmosphere. Enjoying a good meal is more than sending your taste buds to work. The same food you loved in a fancy restaurant, will be stale and boring to you, when you eat it alone in your room in silence.

Going to a restaurant is always some kind of event (not counting fast food now). Be it that you have a nice talk with the folks who join you, be it that you take in the atmosphere or be it that you watch the other guests. Also you're usually dressed up for it, so you are in fact wearing a kind of costume, too.

Fact is, that before and after you actually eat your food, you sit around waiting doing more or less nothing. In the best of cases you do casual talking. That's where the whole event idea comes into the game.

But in the end it's of course a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Good food in bad company isn't very nice but bad food in good company might very likely be nice. :)

I tried to make a veggie +ham Spanish tortilla (minus the potato, so I guess it was just an omlette.

It ended up like some veg with scrambled eggs. :blink: