Food! [The thread that started this section]

Whoa that NYE dinner looks awesome!

Right now we're making peanut butter truffles and peanut butter-chocolate-butterscotch-schnapps-stuffed oreos. Truffles are setting before being topped, oreos are quite brilliant. We added the schnapps on a whim and it turned our mixture of peanut butter, powdered sugar and chocolate oreo stuffing from a goopy slurry into a stiff, fluffy consistency not dissimilar to the original stuffing.

So you cooked all that fancy stuff yourself? Or was it a catered event?

I cooked half, my girlfriend cooked the other half. Some of it, like the consomme was made the day before, as you had to filter it through some muslin to get the clear pink liquid, and to serve it chilled.

step one. peel banana

step two. cut notch on concave side of banana

step three. spread chocolate spread inside. (i recommend Hashaschar, which is an Israeli brand, but Im sure nutella would do)

step four. enjoy your easy snack.

Still had some leftover pork belly from NYE, so we bought some spicy packet ramen, cooked it up, added some of the pork belly gravy, added bamboo shoots and dried mushroom, some barbecued corn, and tore up the pork belly into it. Topped it all off with a soft boiled egg.

Fantastic.

Americans don't eat custard.
Apart from that being a great autobiography title or a title for a one-man show... or an episode of the Rugrats.

I don't know why. It's funny trying to describe it to them on my FB page.

Last edited:
Clockwerk, had some Greek food the other day. Besides my regular baccala and dolmas, I tried Taramosalata. Holy fuck was that tasty, any authentic recipe you'd like to share? It was creamy like hummus, but the flavor was so much richer. The fish eggs were like little salty bits of heaven.

Clockwerk, had some Greek food the other day. Besides my regular baccala and dolmas, I tried Taramosalata. Holy fuck was that tasty, any authentic recipe you'd like to share? It was creamy like hummus, but the flavor was so much richer. The fish eggs were like little salty bits of heaven.

Since you mentioned fish eggs I can assume you are not a vegetarian like LP...:lol:. Have you tried Tiropitakia, Kothropita, or Spanakopita (varying types of filo dough pies)? Those are usually popular with everyone. Another favorite is Tsoutsoukakia (greek meatballs)

1-1 1/2 minced beef
4-5 slices of bread soaked in diluted (w/water) red white
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 egg

Mix all the above ingredients and roll into cigar shapes 3 inches long. Saute quickly in frying pan with oil and butter until just brown add meat balls to sauce (below) and cook for approximately 30-40 minutes.

3/4 stick butter browned
2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
1Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
enough water to cover

add cumin to taste.

I could probably throw down 20 recipes, but I'm not sure what you would like. Do you want me to go more towards the coasts and fish based cuisine or the interior with more red meat? Since you mentioned fish earlier I recommend Psari Plaki.

sauce:
2-3 tomatoes
1 onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
2-3 teaspoons Greek oregano
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green onions, chopped

1-1/2 pounds cod, halibut, or tilapia

combine bay leaves, garlic, olive oil, green onion, lemon juice, onion, oregano, tomatoes, and white wine in a sauce pan. Boil until the sauce is soft.

Place fish in a greased casserole dish or pan. Pour sauce over fish. Salt and pepper to taste. cover dish or pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake until fish is slightly browned.

Also everyone loves Pastitsio.

I have had Spanikopita and Pastitsio. I was specifically looking for a Taramosalata recipe, shit was delicious. Thanks for the others though, I'll save em to the recipe folder.

I might be the farthest thing from a vegetarian as is possible. I eat meat at every meal if I can.

Ok I have a Taramosalata recipe...

1/3 of an 8 oz jar of tarama
1 small onion, finely grated
1-1/2 cups olive oil
4-5 slices of bread, crust trimmed off
juice of 2 to 3 lemons

Mash tarama and add grated onions, Add a little of the olive oil and beat thoroughly to a smooth paste. Moisten bread and squeeze out excess water. Continue beating tarama mixture, adding alternately small bits of moist bread, olive oil, and lemon juice.

Taramasalata should be beaten until cream colored. Top tip: left over taramasalata is awesome as a dressing on a tossed salad.

I had another thought if you liked filo pies and hummus... meet Voltron well if Voltron was made of filo and chickpeas...

Bourekia me Revithia

536e70ecf295ed5d_cheese.jpg

Had some leftover chicken breasts I needed to get rid of decided to make chicken marsala w/ some lemon-garlic pan roasted asparagus on the side, not the prettiest presentation but it worked

simmering mushrooms, butter, scallion, later added cream and marsala wine for the sauce

5329414344_58704d567e_z.jpg

fried up lightly floured and seasoned flattened chicken breasts, later finished cooking in oven

5328806565_eb0711077b_z.jpg

done

5328808271_506e228456_z.jpg

besides the fact i can't stand asparagus, that looks delicious!

And asparagus are about 5 months out of season. :p

We're still getting it fresh here, a consequence of importing and lack of respect for carrying only seasonal produce. Sadly I think we should go back to that, but ppl in the US are frankly spoiled as hell because we now expect and can get most produce all year round now.

I love noodle bingo...

http://img821.imageshack.**/img821/336/35905045.jpg

The front, ok...

http://img87.imageshack.**/img87/3277/90700758.jpg

The back... WTF? :lol:

http://img21.imageshack.**/img21/1208/31656753.jpg

Just bought this. I've got a massive food boner.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/01/09/foodboner.jpg