Food! [The thread that started this section]

lol wat? The wtf Jap thread is thata way :p

it gets even worse when you find out that some of their rare Densuke watermelons sell for more than thousand each. Hell the record is $6100

I just can't stand the taste, it makes me sick to my stomach. Dunno if it's medical, but I do know it's fucking annoying, because most fruit salads contain melon (1 cube of melon to 1kg of fruit salad and to me the whole shebang tastes of melon) so it rules those out for me. And I fucking love all other fruits.

Question for you:
Watermelons aren't actually melons; they are cucumbers. How do you feel about cucumbers?

Cucumbers are delicious.

"Pickles are cucumbers soaked in evil"
"Pickles are zombie cucumbers."

I do loves me some cusumbers, though.

Question for you:
Watermelons aren't actually melons; they are cucumbers. How do you feel about cucumbers?

Watermelon is the only one I can stand, because the melon taste is watered down, but it's still not something I enjoy eating. Eating cucumbers is like eating solid water.

I just can't stand the taste, it makes me sick to my stomach. Dunno if it's medical, but I do know it's fucking annoying, because most fruit salads contain melon (1 cube of melon to 1kg of fruit salad and to me the whole shebang tastes of melon) so it rules those out for me. And I fucking love all other fruits.

Seeing as how different melons taste so different (e.g. watermelon vs. cantaloupe), maybe you dislike a certain chemical or underlying taste in melons?

I love fruit as well, have quite a lot of it and not for health reasons. There are certain fruits which I don't really care for in terms of taste, like pears and pear-related fruits, but luckily I don't have a gag reflex for any fruits common in our parts.

Ever seen crazy overpriced, custom grown japanese square watermelons?

I'd seen pictures before... don't they seem extremely pointless? Sure it looks neat, but the moment you get it home the shape becomes totally moot. So why pay a huge premium for a square shape?

Or are watermelons really rare in Japan like cantaloupe, and would cost a lot regardless of whether it was square or circle shaped?

Huh, I did not know that. I suppose the outer parts of the flesh close to the rind do kind of have a cucumber-y smell, plus watermelons and cucumbers are both supposed to be refreshing so there's that.

Cucumbers = the most pointless vegetable.

I beg to differ... Iranian people actually eat cucumbers as a fruit, it's always part of a fruit bowl that any Iranian put together.

The most pointless vegetable are celery... absolutely no taste and I always have to floss out the bits later.

I'd seen pictures before... don't they seem extremely pointless? Sure it looks neat, but the moment you get it home the shape becomes totally moot. So why pay a huge premium for a square shape?

Or are watermelons really rare in Japan like cantaloupe, and would cost a lot regardless of whether it was square or circle shaped?

No I don't think so, I know regular round watermelons are a traditional summertime treat in japan and korea and they can't be unobtainably expensive, but maybe a little pricy. The square ones are just an insane boutique item.

which kind? there's a bunch. i had the regular vanilla ones, and i really want to try the others. hopefully they'll be available at drugstores and the like as single servings like they are everywhere else in the world.

which kind? there's a bunch. i had the regular vanilla ones, and i really want to try the others. hopefully they'll be available at drugstores and the like as single servings like they are everywhere else in the world.
Classic Vanilla was the only flavor on offer at my local Kroger.

the issue with cucumber is that it sometimes doesn't have taste. the best cukes are the little persian ones.

I've only ever had the perfectly straight, EU, EAA, Obama approved cucumbers. I've actually seen those smaller ones in the local 'immigrant' shop and they look great. Maybe I'll buy some in the summer.

A guy on tv milked a cucumber. It foamed, and he said that removes the bitterness.

:blink:

A guy on tv milked a cucumber. It foamed, and he said that removes the bitterness.

:blink:

Bitterness in cucumbers? Does not compute.

Maybe someone should make a thread for fruits and veggies. This thread already ran the gamut from edkwon's fine dining photography to Aston Martin's reports of his latest instant noodle concoction, I think this is a step too far. :mrgreen:

Damn you Trader Joe, why does all the stuff you sell me have to be so good??? Quit trying to make me fat D:

These = little slices of heaven

maple.jpg