Food! [The thread that started this section]

I like crab and salmon and figured it would be good to spread on some crackers as a snack. Has anybody ever tried this stuff before? If so, what did you think?

i don't know whether the stuff that comes in glasses is different, but most crab / salmon pastes i've tried have been quite good (not many i admit).

I love avocado. I never get tired of eating it. :love:. I am also sad that raspberry season has pretty much ended. :( Some of the local growers had some amazing raspberries for sale at the farmer's markets (same with avocado).

I hate avocado. Never got a taste for it. It used to be you could avoid it by not ordering a sandwich that was called "california" anything. California club, california burger, etc. However, in California, why is there avocado in my "grilled chicken pesto croissant" sandwich" Why is there avocado on my pepper steak fajita?

Gross.

Once or twice a year I'll eat Chipotle's guac...I think it's the lime-y super salty chips that make it passable for me, but otherwise...no thanks. You can have mine.

Last edited:
Avocado - the one bit of California cuisine I will not miss when I move back East. Fish tacos, on the other hand...

In other news, I decided to pop a couple of beef pasties in the oven for dinner. I thought about putting a couple of slices of cheese on them, then I heard a voice in my head saying, "You want cheese on that?" :jc: and I decided that I really didn't want cheese on that.

Aw. Well I guess I'm a freak of nature who just loves avocado. I buy it just to eat it plain. :lol: Oh, but I do love fish tacos. They are so amazing. This one pub I go to has them and it's pretty excellent. They also only serve garlic fries, which are excellent. Interestingly enough, most places I go to don't offer avocado at all, so I don't quite have the same issue.

I hate avovado. Never got a taste for it. It used to be you could avoid it by not ordering a sandwich that was called "california" anything. California club, california burger, etc. However, in California, why is there avocado in my "grillec chicken pesto croissant" sandwich" Why is there avocado on my pepper steak fajita?

Gross.

Once or twice a year I'll eat Chipotle's guac...I think it's the lime-y super salty chips that make it passable for me, but otherwise...no thanks. You can have mine.

Get the fresh 'made at the table side' guac at Don Pablo's, you'll change your tune pretty fast.

Get the fresh 'made at the table side' guac at Don Pablo's, you'll change your tune pretty fast.

As far as I know, I've had the tableside-made guac at every restaurant I've ever been to that offers it, as my girlfriend is a fan. If you don't like avocado, you aren't going to like guac. In fact, the fresher, more "real" the worse it is.

Dim sum time!

6215899447_fa2c4d8e75_z.jpg

6216412582_d63d4798bc_z.jpg

6216410908_d134a317c8_z.jpg

6215893531_d6a73837ef_z.jpg

Cue Aston Martin and "lazy American" bashing in 3... 2... 1...

In other news, I just had the most amazing pork roast ever for dinner. (Yes, I said for dinner - my sleep schedule is all messed up right now.)
It was a 1 pound applewood smoked pork loin wrapped with 5 strips of applewood smoked thick sliced bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar. Pork that good makes me realize why it's a sin to eat it in 2 out of 3 major Western religions.

No pics because I was hungry.

fall restaurant week 2011 has come and gone again, a little sampling of the places I tried

Lukshon, Culver City

Shrimp toast
6228916525_e53f825455_z.jpg

Spicy chicken pops
6228922007_65a1f86e83_z.jpg

Garlic pork belly
6228924617_649e7af4cc_z.jpg

Chiang mai curry noodles
6229450072_676c1d900d_z.jpg

Fogo de chao

6229511024_83a2693b39_z.jpg

6228998319_4d85be262d_z.jpg

6229542664_230d764c94_z.jpg

Roy's Hawaiian Fusion, downtown

yuzu crab stuffed shrimp
6252237572_3b7b31da87_z.jpg

Coq au vin
6251710385_86c58c4ab6_z.jpg

The Water Grill, downtown

Clam Chowder
6245920546_f41923cab1_z.jpg

Swordfish steak
6245922750_d0b2c4af26_z.jpg

Salmon
6245923762_ce6cbd2b20_z.jpg

Red velvet pudding cake
6251533197_d7df84bb2c_z.jpg

I have to say...yum *laughs* I know, I know. It's a crap burger with a list of novelty ingredients...but it works. Although, I'm a sucker for a bun that can stand up to burger juice. This had a nice "skin" on it so it held together.
RedRobin_Oktoberfest.jpg

It also has swiss cheese, and beer mustard.

Last edited:
It needs cabbage in some form, be it kraut, or red cabbage or slaw.

While I partially agree, that would have been too much. However, every restaurant that offers some sort of bratwurst on their "oktober" menu should have sourkraut by law.

Oh, it's from Red Robin. That means I can actually go try it. I may have to now, looks good. :p

If you have one of their cards, it's $3 off. At least, it is here. The $3.00 is "banked" to your card...you don't actualy get $3.00 of this particular visit, and you can only use this "deal" once.

Last edited: