Food! [The thread that started this section]

+1 for poutine. How can you go wrong with fried potatoes, cheese (what the heck makes a curd?) and gravy. The last poutine I had was duck fat fried waffle fries with shredded duck breast. And now my mouth is watering.

Curd is what you get in the 1st stage of cheese making after mixing milk and rennet. Usually the curds are then salted a bit and packed into a shape and stored/whatever untill you get required age and mouldyness. :p

YGsKtaY.jpg

Guinea fowl leg "coq au vin"

Who needs restaurants? ;)

I love sugar wafers. But these guys from Keebler....

6sbR74G.jpg

... are utter shit.

Poutine, Part II

Poutine, Part II

Continued from.

Tried 2 different specialty Poutine at Sesame.

I had the Thai (bottom of the picture), and my girlfriend had the General Tao (top of the picture).

IMG_20131210_152037.jpg

(Sorry for the horrible picture, didn't realize it was so out of focus).

The General Tao is not bad, a bit weird, definitely not my favorite, but still interesting.

The Thai however was a bit disappointing. The Thai sauce just didn't seem to be a good match to the rest of the poutine.

Also, in both variety I thought that the breaded chicken was too dry and crispy.

Now, one of my favorite. The "Magnan" poutine with black pepper sauce, at Taverne Chez Magnan.

Like most meals containing the "Magnan" suffix, this means a variation on a classic by adding roast beef (the specialty of that restaurant).

IMG_20131212_195428.jpg

The black pepper sauce by itself transforms the poutine, but the added chunks of roast beef brings it to a whole new level.

I?ve been wanting to make poutine for quite some time now...I just need time. :(

Man, I need to visit Quebec sometime...

And on a food related note, I got this at a local pizza place.
6B62B419-2937-4FDE-9064-A57336EF7261-767-00000145611D1E98_zpsa0fdf6f9.jpg

It's a Stromboli, which is basically a calzone full of mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, and pepperoni.

That looks delicious :drool:

Had a rare steak today. Can't say I'm a fan. It wasn't warm inside and it was just tough to cut and chew. Give me medium, please.

Then it either wasn't a very good steak.

Apparently.

I'm not a fan, either. I've butchered animals before, and the smell of under-cooked meat (even red-dripping roast beef sandwiches) reminds of the smell of raw meat/butcher shop.

It just wasn't cooked. Last time I went to that place I ordered medium and it was succulent and delicious.

I'm not a fan of rare steaks because I don't like it when it's still cold in the middle. Medium-rare is the nice balance of rarity and warmth, for me at least.

Rare seems to be a much more fluid (eh, that's about right) definition than it should be(temperature). A good steak rare can be quite tasty.

That said, it's messed up more often than not, so I usually go with medium rare. :lol:

In my opinion, only certain cuts suit being cooked rare, as they need to be pretty tender by nature to be enjoyable that way. Fillet for example. I don't think a ribeye would be nice when cooked rare, as the fat wouldn't be cooked well enough.

Last night I made chicken parmesan for the first time, and it turned out pretty darn well, if I do say so myself. I think the sauce for the pasta could have used a little more seasoning, but I guess that's what I get for being lazy and using sauce from a jar.

I made pot au feu for the first time (from a recipe). Then I realized that I've grown up eating it without ever having known its name.

I made pot au feu for the first time (from a recipe). Then I realized that I've grown up eating it without ever having known its name.

Different countries tend to cook the same dishes without even knowing.

:nod:

In other news, losing track of a bay leaf is somewhat upsetting.

I was sick of Christmas food just as I was preparing the 2nd meal. I quited like our first meal on Christmas Eve, as the turkey turned out perfect, but on the 26th I both couldn't be bothered cooking any more and I would rather eat a thai green curry than the traditional meal that I was preparing.

Once I stop celebrating Christmas with my parents I will probably start some new traditions. I quite like turkey when it's cooked correctly, but I don't care much for the other fatty and heavy Norwegian Christmas dishes...

Have you tried deep fried turkey? I like it more than the usual baked turkey, as it's nowhere near as dry.