Food! [The thread that started this section]

My spoon is too big.

:(

I "accidentally" ordered one of these today:

DeLonghi%20ICK%206000.jpg

Ice Cream maker with a compressor. Really looking forward to playing around with it, really got hooked on it after trying out the one they had at my ex-girlfriends house :)

I'm going to need one huge kitchen at some point, there's few things better than getting new gear.. :D

I "accidentally" ordered one of these today:

DeLonghi%20ICK%206000.jpg

Ice Cream maker with a compressor. Really looking forward to playing around with it, really got hooked on it after trying out the one they had at my ex-girlfriends house :)

I'm going to need one huge kitchen at some point, there's few things better than getting new gear.. :D

A compressor? So no more waiting for the bowl to freeze or be worried it is already melting? Interesting!

That looks pretty nifty. smaller portions due to the compressor, but should mean it cools down and sets faster. And it also gives the chance for more experimentation and thus more icecream!

I demand a review.

Yep, cools by itself, so it's faster and a lot more convenient than having to freeze the bowl a day in advance :) And of course, multiple portions :D The bowl is 1,2 liters, so should be able to make som decent portions at a time :)

I expect I'll receive it tomorrow, I've already got some whippingcreme/Whole milk infusing with some vanilla, so I'm all set for the first test run :)

Yep, cools by itself, so it's faster and a lot more convenient than having to freeze the bowl a day in advance :) And of course, multiple portions :D The bowl is 1,2 liters, so should be able to make som decent portions at a time :)

I expect I'll receive it tomorrow, I've already got some whippingcreme/Whole milk infusing with some vanilla, so I'm all set for the first test run :)

What?!? That's very good! My trusty Cuisinart has a 1 liter bowl and it's plenty for experimentation.

Just made my first batch!

It's big, heavy and very noisy, but it sure does the job :) It's got the disadvantage of only cooling the bowl from the bottom, which I believe means it's slightly slower than the direct competitors in its price segment, however, it's got a more powerful motor, that does more revolutions per minute than most other machines (45rpm versus 32rpm for most others). This is supposedly the more important aspect :)

The motor is the noisiest part, the compressor isn't very loud at all.

I've played around with another machine before, and in comparison I'm getting a very even consistency throughout the ice cream straight out of the machine.

My first batch was Heston Blumenthals recipe for a Vanilla Ice cream, which is 420g of whipping creme, 180g whole milk, 85g sugar and 4 vanilla pods, brought to a quick boil, and then chilled and left to infuse for 24 hours before putting it in the machine. In this case it was left in the refridgerator for two days, I doubt that's a bad thing :)
It's very good, very pronounced vanilla flavour and an excellent consistency.

All in all, very happy with the machine. Weighing in at around 15kg, it's not very hand to lug about, but it is pretty awesome that you're able to make a bunch of ice cream or sorbet whenever the mood strikes you.

Next I think I might try to make some frozen youghurt :)

I really hope you have a better experience than the reviewers on Amazon...
For now I'll stick to my old Cuisinart. :p

Decadently rich. Yum. That's 1 lb of whipping cream, for those of us in the affected countries.

I really hope you have a better experience than the reviewers on Amazon...
For now I'll stick to my old Cuisinart. :p

Well damn, actually hadn't read any of that before I bought it, I'm quite dissapointed in myself. :p The paddle does seem slightly flimsy, but we'll see how bad it goes. People having problems are most often the noisiest :)
In any case, plenty of other brands with compressors if you still fancy the upgrade :)

Decadently rich. Yum. That's 1 lb of whipping cream, for those of us in the affected countries.

Yeah, it's definitely not the diet version :p It was however the best vanilla ice cream I've had in quite a while :)

Bought a 26cm Le Creuset cast iron shallow casserole as a post exam gift (they were on 20% discount \o/). :)

I currently have a stainless steel 30cm+ casserole aswell, but it's just way too big for me now. Half of the pan just tends to burn.

cast_iron_shallow_casserole_26cm_volcanic.jpg

Looking forward to using it.

Last edited:
That looks very nice, Le Creuset makes some cool stuff :)

Experimented a bit with sous vide tonight, I've had a cheap cut of beef in at 55 degrees celsius for about 19 hours.

It's insane how tender it got. Almost too soft for my taste, I'd probably tone it down just a bit, just to keep some more structure in the meat. Knowing how this cut usually is though, it's quite impressive, and really a testament to what this method of cooking can achieve :)

Nice! ;)

400 grams of mince beef, yo. I had a 300g dish, but it had cheese and ham mixed in.

The sausages alone are for sure over 1000 calories...and the whole dish is probably 1500+ maybe even 2000...:blink:

The sausages alone are for sure over 1000 calories...and the whole dish is probably 1500+ maybe even 2000...:blink:

What are you talking about?

Well damn, actually hadn't read any of that before I bought it, I'm quite disapointed in myself. :p The paddle does seem slightly flimsy, but we'll see how bad it goes. People having problems are most often the noisiest :)
In any case, plenty of other brands with compressors if you still fancy the upgrade :)

Someday. For now I don?t have the money or the room for such a big appliance. :lol: