Food! [The thread that started this section]

My first proper chefs knife. I've used a Global at home where my parents live for a long time, but this one is just mine. :) This thing is so much sharper.

MWMwuT9.jpg

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it.

Has it gotten its requisite first sharpening on your whetstones?

*It's probably a sign I've been using German profiled knives for too long since my first thought on seeing the picture was "Ooh, a mac slicer!"

Has it gotten its requisite first sharpening on your whetstones?

No. Hoping it'll stay sharp for a long while. Gonna store this one in the box as I don't have a knife block. I have a feeling that some knife blocks scratches the sides of your blade anyway.

you guys eat toads???

i've had frogs, but never tried toad...

Technically you have. There is no genetic difference between a frog and a toad, but what we call a toad generally prefers to live in drier environs, where as frogs prefer it wet.

No. Hoping it'll stay sharp for a long while. Gonna store this one in the box as I don't have a knife block. I have a feeling that some knife blocks scratches the sides of your blade anyway.

Ah, I wasn't sure if Macs followed the trend of other (Japanese) knife makers in that they come needing to be "opened" requiring a first sharpening.

I like magnetic strips for their practicality, and that they make a nice display doesn't hurt either.

Ah, I wasn't sure if Macs followed the trend of other (Japanese) knife makers in that they come needing to be "opened" requiring a first sharpening.

Is this something you've read or have you bought a knife that needed sharpening before use? I'm under the assumption that all the western style Japanese knives (brands like Shun, Miyabi etc) come ready to use.

I like magnetic strips for their practicality, and that they make a nice display doesn't hurt either.

:nod: Once I move somewhere more permanent and get more knives, I'll get a magnetic knife block.

Just don't buy any ceramic knives, otherwise you won't know where to store them. :p

Nothing better than a great knife. I cannot fathom that people can go through life having to fight their tool every time they want to slice up a tomato.. :p

I need to get mine sharpened soon though.

Is this something you've read or have you bought a knife that needed sharpening before use? I'm under the assumption that all the western style Japanese knives (brands like Shun, Miyabi etc) come ready to use.

:nod: Once I move somewhere more permanent and get more knives, I'll get a magnetic knife block.

I read the bit about requiring sharpening somewhere first, but I did pick up a couple knives (gyuto and deba) while I was in Japan and while sharp, the shop owner did caution me to sharpen them before use. I suspect you're right about the western styled/marketed brands though.

Continued from here, here, here and here,

Went back to the Taverne Magnan with some friends yesterday, and had a classic poutine variation, the Italian poutine (where gravy is replaced with Bolognese sauce). Of course, this being Magnan, they make their own variation by adding chunks of roast beef to the mix.

IMG_20140518_202955.jpg

Last edited:
My new knife rosey story didn't last as long as I had hoped. It turned out that while the "thicker" 1/2 of the knife was sharp, but the outer 1/2 was not.

I emailed the vendor I used (knivesforchefs.co.uk) and they said I could send them the knife. I was told that it was indeed not satisfactory sharpened from factory.
It supposedly had a 'burr' hanging out on one side, which in other words is just a super fine thread of metal. I was offered to either have it sharpened and returned or have a new knife sent.

That's customer service. :)

I've generally been pretty impressed with how good the customer service is for knives. Glad to hear you're experiencing the same!