Food! [The thread that started this section]

It won't be cat, though, if that's what you're thinking. :mrgreen:

2c0d758aea095fc8370b03e19c620d89cb164c18ac4216be4fc9a22b43b7ab0f.jpg

It won't be cat, though, if that's what you're thinking. :mrgreen:

:lol:
At first I thought about that, but seeing that nicjasno was involved made me relax.

Bear, bison, or wild boar?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with that. My mom was always trying to sneak venison into our food. I could always tell.

My dad always tried to get emu into things. The most successful was the emu cake. Good thing we didn't know any vegetarians at the time...no...scratch that...to bad we didn't know any vegetarians at the time. :)

Last edited:
My dad always tried to get emu into things. The most successful was the emu cake. Good thing we didn't know any vegetarians at the time...no...scratch that...to bad we didn't know any vegetarians at the time. :)

Emu cake? Sounds... odd. What was it like?

Emu cake? Sounds... odd. What was it like?

Like a really really rich carrot cake, likely helped by the frosting.. Emu meat is super low in fat (for a red meat), so it's not like it was greasy or anything...just dense. Was kinda sorta of like a cake version of mince meat pie.

I've tried wild board, it's a little woody.

Ba-bum, Tss!

This is 100% home grown, with certificates and everything, it's not an undocumented contamination.

thats called washing the potato :D

:p No, I mean bruching it with something stiff enough to brush away the dark brown outer layer, while still leaving the layer under it behind, where someone above me said much of the nutrition of the skin resides.

You can get perfectly decent high-end frozen french fries. Obviously you're going to have a higher ceiling, quality-wise, if you cut them yourself, but I've definitely experienced premade french fries that I wouldn't at all mind getting in a restaurant.

[...] but I've definitely experienced premade french fries that I wouldn't at all mind getting in a restaurant.

For example: you?d go to a place where you?d spend north of 100? (just to give a number most people would prob think of as "high") for a Dinner and you wouldn?t "mind" if some of the stuff on your plate comes from the freezer because the difference to fresh made is not that big?

The point that I?m trying to argue here is not that there aren?t "decent" pre-made fries, but that it does matter at what "level" of dining you?re looking at. Above a certain price-range IMO the food should be nothing less than 100% fresh and handmade.

all dairy you find everywhere will be UHT. so a high-end restaurant can't use that?

i'm not going to a restaurant to taste the fries, they're just palette cleaners...
i prefer my 100? going to special ingredients, and not the wage of some low level employee who's slicing potatoes all day...

i don't mind frozen fries at all, i even prefer them...

For example: you?d go to a place where you?d spend north of 100? (just to give a number most people would prob think of as "high") for a Dinner and you wouldn?t "mind" if some of the stuff on your plate comes from the freezer because the difference to fresh made is not that big?

The point that I?m trying to argue here is not that there aren?t "decent" pre-made fries, but that it does matter at what "level" of dining you?re looking at. Above a certain price-range IMO the food should be nothing less than 100% fresh and handmade.

Well, you specifically mentioned a 30? burger, and you can get pre-made products that'll go perfectly with that.

I work in a couple of restaurants that serves steaks and fries, not in-expensive places to eat. Average spend per costumer is around 60-70?. In the one, we cut our own potatoes, and bake them with a special program in the oven before they're fried. In the other, they use high-end frozen fries, which are basically cut potatoes with the skin on, that has been processed in some way to remove moisture. Both are excellent in their own right, though none come close to the triple-cooked fries you can make at home, but that recipe is not really feasible at the scale and pricepoint I'm talking about here.

My point is that there's a big difference between the quality of the frozen products, and to turn down the really good ones becomes more a point of principle, than it has anything to do with the quality of the product.