Food! [The thread that started this section]

Check out a brand called "De Cecco". Not sure if they export to USA but I wouldn't be surprised.

2000000342.jpg

Also Rustichella d'abruzzo pasta is very good:

2000026054%26%261.jpg

You can recognize good pasta by the slightly rough, matte surface. It comes from the brass forms in the presses. Most pasta makers use teflon forms nowadays, because they last longer. You can tell by the slick surface. Brass forms are only used by traditional pasta makers who don't produce in large numbers.

And if you like fresh, filled pasta like Tortellini or Ravioli, I can recommend Rossi:

2000026348%26%261.jpg

But they have to be stored in the fridge and should be eaten within a week.

Last edited:
Yep, we get De Cecco. It was OK, but not as good as even the store branded "fresh" (refrigerated) pasta. I remember it foamed up like mad, almost as much as the low-priced store brands...which is odd, because normally that type of wheat flour shouldn't have that issue.

I haven't seen Rustichella d'abruzzo, tough.

I've seen De Cecco in stores around here.

If you want to treat yourself with something very special, I can wholeheartedly recommend these:

4035530229_a7974a062a_o.jpg

Those are from Hotel Cipriani in Venice and made with eggs. They cook for 2 (!) minutes and you mustn't leave them in a second longer than that. They're really divine but also expensive - about 8 Euros here for 250 g.

And while we're at it, these are what I have on my wishlist to try out next, after my current stock is eaten:

2000012195%26%261.jpg

I was made aware of them by a TV documentary about traditional Italian pasta manufacturies. But also not cheap: 7 Euros for 500 g. Some say it's the best pasta in the world...

EDIT: Oh hell, why wait? I just ordered a collection of different shapes for 35 Euros :p

Last edited:
There's a pastificio in the corner and I know how to make pasta.
I think I'm good. :lol:

I do love me some eggy pasta...

Which leads me to wondering, why are egg noodles so often seperated from pasta in their marketing? The differences seem pretty minimal in the comparison...

So, for a few years now, I've been meaning to make a timpano (or timballo). In fact, ever since I watched Big Night.
This week, I decided I would make it, or at least try.

Making the dough

52AacNA.jpg

Already in the pan, with pasta, tomato sauce and gorgonzola.
8XagA4x.jpg

Next layer! Hard-boiled eggs, and salami.

1tVunPZ.jpg

Final layer! Meatballs, cheese and more tomato sauce. Beaten eggs to top it off.

u1uFz02.jpg

Closing it up.

9BVSRTm.jpg

It held up! It looks like a drum, as it should! :D

7VeaYez.jpg

Inside, everything help up as well.

3qiyiVj.jpg

Pretty colors.

gF9Cicx.jpg

Yum!

Jxyt2nT.jpg

Last edited:
Are they really?
They work for me. :dunno:

Hotlinking protection, probably. You still have them in cache, so they'll show up for you.

Huh...they worked for me yesterday...but not today.

I linked them from Google Photos originally.
Reuploaded to Imgur now, hope it works.

:lol:
Definitely not for the faint of heart.
A fun weekend project nonetheless.

Just bought this out of pure madness:

20247985014_6fb13af11c_o.jpg