Food! [The thread that started this section]

If you want to ride bears shirtless, this is how you need to eat. lol

Poutine Dynamite:

Merguez sausage, hot red peppers, jalapeño and hot peppers salsa.

Delicious.

IMG_20190816_18164534b82110279176c9.jpg

Last week I found the most dubious pancake I have encountered yet... Pancake "kapsalon". ('Kapsalon' is a Dutch "dish" consisting of kebab and fries, melted cheese, salad, garlic sauce and hot sauce.) So when I saw this in pancake form, I had to try this...
IMG_20190823_131609.jpg

It's a pancake with kebab, fries, cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce, red onions, garlic sauce and sambal. It was a lot better than it sounds.

I’m proud to say, my first try in making pork schnitzel was a success.

Attachments

• 2C57B375-123F-4152-850B-487430D8E5BE.jpeg
    2C57B375-123F-4152-850B-487430D8E5BE.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 191
  • 7AC84EE2-4070-4355-8ECC-C2801E50AE44.jpeg
    7AC84EE2-4070-4355-8ECC-C2801E50AE44.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 197
  • 87C57AFA-1F56-4952-849A-D140FA19AF1F.jpeg
    87C57AFA-1F56-4952-849A-D140FA19AF1F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 213
  • E68BF202-BE25-40EB-8AB8-BB2B3831D41B.jpeg
    E68BF202-BE25-40EB-8AB8-BB2B3831D41B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 193
Why is it that the Mexican places run by real Mexicans (as apposed to the fake ones) make the most bland tasting tacos? Is that how it's supposed to be? Unseasoned steak? I know of one place that's not close to work or home and stuck in an area that decided to rip up the roads in October 2019 and widen the road and intersection that is pretty decent but so many are just boring. I can go to Chipotle and have way more flavorful everything. All the meats, cheeses, lettuce, and salsas for the burritos are so good. The chipotle smoked hot sauce always makes a bowl so much better.

The only region I've found decent mexican by non-franchises have been the local places around SF-Sacremento-LA- area? That's where veggies and shit actually have some flavor. Perhaps its the shipping? Local taste preferences? I don't know. There's a Velvet Taco in Chicago that has decent stuff but that's like Boutique tacos were they're like 10 bucks a taco... Maybe I need a Torchy's...

Why is it that the Mexican places run by real Mexicans (as apposed to the fake ones) make the most bland tasting tacos? Is that how it's supposed to be? Unseasoned steak? I know of one place that's not close to work or home and stuck in an area that decided to rip up the roads in October 2019 and widen the road and intersection that is pretty decent but so many are just boring. I can go to Chipotle and have way more flavorful everything. All the meats, cheeses, lettuce, and salsas for the burritos are so good. The chipotle smoked hot sauce always makes a bowl so much better.

The only region I've found decent mexican by non-franchises have been the local places around SF-Sacremento-LA- area? That's where veggies and shit actually have some flavor. Perhaps its the shipping? Local taste preferences? I don't know. There's a Velvet Taco in Chicago that has decent stuff but that's like Boutique tacos were they're like 10 bucks a taco... Maybe I need a Torchy's...
Wait, what? Those tacos are generally uncomplicated to showcase the meat, TBH. Cilantro, onions, meat (with a few exceptions, like breakfast tacos). If the meat ain't good, they're doing it wrong. I wonder if they blanded it down for the area? Tacos I had in Mexico City were like, a religious experience despite being very basic. (Also, most of Chipotle just tastes salty to me, but that's another story, haha.)

One of the taco writers (actual beat, which I am jealous of) described Velvet Taco as $20/plate dishes divided up and plopped into tortillas. He's not wrong! We have one here, and it's okay, and to be fair, the genius of tacos is being able to eat something in a convenient tortilla. That being said, plopping something like a paneer curry into a tortilla digresses pretty far from the idea of a taco insofar as the tortilla becomes a delivery vessel for a standalone dish as opposed to an integral part of the entree itself. Torchy's does the fancy-taco schtick right, IMHO. (Also, their queso is the besssstttt.)

(Also also, holy crap, that schnitzel looks gooooood.)

tl;dr—please hire me to write about tacos. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Holy shi... 15lbs?! Looks fantastic! :woot:

15lbs before cooking. It ended up being around 10 all done I think based on how much I had left. You can see in the 2nd pic how much it shrunk in the smoker, when I put it in it had about 1/2" clearance side to side.