Food! [The thread that started this section]

ANOTHER ONE!
this time sourdough. I am honestly speechless at the difference. insane.
2FBD5535-26D7-4016-A42E-3BD2254188E5.jpeg

Yep, three days is the perfect amount of days for pizza dough.

@ninjacoco

What is bad Tex-Mex? My only frame of reference is On the Boarder, Uncle Julio's, or Chuy's.... They're very different, but good for their own reasons.

@ninjacoco

What is bad Tex-Mex? My only frame of reference is On the Boarder, Uncle Julio's, or Chuy's.... They're very different, but good for their own reasons.
It's really, really hard to mess up Tex-Mex. Chuy's is a favorite, IDK if I've had Uncle Julio's and On the Border wasn't memorable, but yeah. Bad Tex-Mex is usually just too bland, un-spiced, or with salt as the only main spice—or there's a fatal flaw in how it's made, say with cold tortillas, corn in places corn shouldn't be, over/under-sauced entrees, or an overreliance on overprocessed ingredients beyond the usual Velveeta/Easy Melt.

It's hard, but you can screw up Tex-Mex.

It's really, really hard to mess up Tex-Mex. Chuy's is a favorite, IDK if I've had Uncle Julio's and On the Border wasn't memorable, but yeah. Bad Tex-Mex is usually just too bland, un-spiced, or with salt as the only main spice—or there's a fatal flaw in how it's made, say with cold tortillas, corn in places corn shouldn't be, over/under-sauced entrees, or an overreliance on overprocessed ingredients beyond the usual Velveeta/Easy Melt.

It's hard, but you can screw up Tex-Mex.

Ah good to know! Yeah, I wasn't sure if Uncle Julio's is more than just a Chicago area type chain. Think of it like Chuy's, but without 50s diner type mixed beach town theme. They also have much less focus on Chicken Everything but still make tortillas in house and are on display, my little brother used to like watching the women making them. It's kind of neat, but really much the same thing.

Oh my gosh. I could sit at the end of one of those flour tortilla making machines and die happy of an exploding stomach. Fresh tortillas are magic.

Tacos, to use up the last of some flour tortillas.
Seasoned ground Turkey
Black beans
Pico de gallo
Shredded cheese
Shredded cabbage
Sliced radishes
Sliced pickled jalapenos
Jalapeno cilantro hot sauce
Sour cream
20220128_222417.jpg

Why has nobody told me about baked oatmeal before? It’s an outrage!
830CBD16-F014-46AE-B028-F36DE53FB027.jpeg

that’s with dried cranberries, apricots and dates and with a way too small sprinkling (ran out) of chopped almonds.

I am confused but intrigued. I'd try it. My morbid curiosity will get the best of me someday, and it might as well be with that.

While that may technically be correct (the best kind of correct!), that’s not really the agreed upon usage of the term processed in food related matters*

* which is: highly industrialized, lots of additives not usually associated with food, lots of cost cutting, lots of cheap water and starches involved.

So, "american cheese" and "processed cheese" get tossed around interchangeably a lot...and it may be technically true. But to me, there's a stark distinction between two classes of product:

Tier 2: Stuff like Velveta, Cheez Whiz, EZ Cheeze and Kraft singles: "pasteurized recipe cheese product" or "Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread"

Tier 1: Proper "American cheese" like Boars Head, Land O Lakes, which basically is just cheddar that melts better is basically unbeatable on a burger, unless you're going for a specific flavor profile from another cheese.

Saying "American cheese isn't cheese" is a bit like saying "meatloaf isn't meat". There's more cheese in ma lot of American cheese than meat in meatloaf.

Besides..."processing" is actually a Swiss invention.

But then we get to "Pasteurized Process American Slices".... I don't even want to call it Tier 3. There's no "cheese" in the name, and I'm not even sure if they need to have any dairy in them at all (any other product with "cheese" in its official name has to be at least 47% cheese). And while "plastic" has a technical definition that could apply to any cheese...but in casual use of the word, this stuff is pretty close. Ha!

Last edited:
I've had some vegan slices that tasted and looked like it was made from crude oil.
The first time I ever had faux shredded cheese, it had the texture of shredded carrots, that melted into clay. I would have MUCH rather had shredded carrots.

B8F1606E-B688-491C-A113-C6F670148A96.jpeg
F95DCD63-EAD8-48FA-9FCC-2549FD9A14E9.jpeg