Food! [The thread that started this section]

9695498A-3966-4212-B8D4-DD43A101872B.jpeg

Looks good!

Looks like something out of a Lovecraft novel

Cabbage was on sale, so I decided to try my hand at kimchi… ask me again how that went in two weeks or so 😝

So?? :)

I can't eat at restaurants, and take-out burgers suck. We don't make them at home very often, but I was *really* craving one.

King's Hawaiian pretzel buns, sharp cheddar, bacon, canned crispy fried onion strings, arugula/rocket, tomato, mayo, brown deli mustard. The best-tasting burger I've made in a loooong time.

20220708_220146.jpg

Nothing left … so I guess that went well and we’ll be doing it again! Awesome to just have around and throw into stuff you’re making or for a quick snack or something. Haven’t really gone into anything that was necessarily really a kimchi dish.
Except maybe those kimchi pancakes I made and didn’t take a picture of.
The best-tasting burger I've made in a loooong time
It does like rather tasty 😋

I think today I will go and see if I can get 70/30 mince meat for burgers for dinner.

I think today I will go and see if I can get 70/30 mince meat for burgers for dinner.
For me, beyond 80/20 never browns since it more or less poaches in the fat. I imagine a larger cooking area would help, so it can spread thinner. :unsure:

For me, beyond 80/20 never browns since it more or less poaches in the fat. I imagine a larger cooking area would help, so it can spread thinner. :unsure:
I normally never pan fry burgers. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also butcher doesn’t have it available today, I can ask for it and have it ready made the next day. They only had 90% lean :(

Goodbye ChocoTaco, I barely liked you.

Grab them before they disappear.

They've changed. The shell used to be a bit flexible and chewy, like it was soaked in a syrup or something. It had a caramel-y-ness to it. At some point years back, they changed it to be crisper, dryer, and more bland shell. Haven't enjoyed them since.

Last edited:
Had a bun to use up. In retrospect, while I love banana in a PB&J, a whole banana is a bit much.

20220728_210905.jpg

One of my favorite lunches back when I worked in "the city", were the various food truck asian-fusion burritos. A sweet and savory beef, garlic rice, some sort of slaw, and sweet/spicy sauce, and a fried egg.

I saw that chuck roasts were on sale, so I thought I'd give them a try. I call it the "Bull-Gogi & Kim-cheat burrito"

- "Bull-gogi": Chuck roast from the slow cooker, in a cooking liquid of a store-bought Korean bulgogi beef-inspired sauce, apple juice, brown sugar, beef broth, sriracha and a boat-load of garlic.
- Garlic rice: left-over rice, cooked with another boat load of garlic
- "Kim-cheat": Faux kimchi made with store-bought slaw mix, some extra carrots, gochujang, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, salt, pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Fried egg
- Wrapped in a flour tortilla, then browned in a skillet

It *mostly* hit the spot. I wish I had larger, better tortillas, wish the meat weren't so "wet", the rice wasn't quite what I imagined, and it needed some other creamy sauce, maybe a cilantro sriracha sour cream/mayo sauce?

So while it wasn't perfect, it hit about 75%. Good enough until I can actually venture out of the house again long enough to get the object of my desires. Especially because my favorite two also put potato tots in them, but I had dirtied enough dishes with this already, so I skipped the tots.
:lol:

Not a particularly well-styled, attractive photo, I admit...
26850128_2025378337745458_2082014095191438127_o.jpg

Our oven has been broken for almost 4 weeks now. I didnt realize how much of the cooking we do was in the oven until we no longer had one. The stove still works, so we have the stove, microwave, slow cooker and Griddler...but, man, I'm craving a shitty pizza or frozen eggrolls. Ha!

It died right after the Independence Day sales ended, so we are waiting for the Labor Day sales to see if the one we want goes on sale.

Dinner tonight: Chicken Vesuvio

1lb chicken breast, pounded thin. Salt and pepper, dredge in flour. Brown in a non-stick with 1 tablespoon EVOO about 3 mins each side.

Remove the chicken to a plate. Add 12oz either tiny red potatoes or red or gold potatoes cut into 1" pieces to the skillet with 2 teaspoons more oil. Brown potatoes for 7 mins, stirring occasionally.

Add 1-10 cloves of garlic 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/8 tsp dried rosemary, 1/8 tsp salt, and heat for 30 seconds until fragrant.

Add 1 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup white wine. Nestle chicken pieces into the liquid, cover, and simmer for 12-18 mins, flipping halfway, until chicken is to temp.

Remove chicken to plate, and tent loosely. Reduce liquid and continue cooking potatoes for another 7 mins-ish until potatoes are tender.

Scoop out potatoes with a slotted spoon to the chicken plate. Off-heat, stir in 1/2 frozen and thawed green peas, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter until cohesive. Pour over chicken and potatoes.

Eat.

20220816_233109.jpg
20220816_233040.jpg

Made an orange and feta chicken for dinner tonight, another skillet meal.

20220819_222320.jpg

While our oven is still broken, I was fortunate enough to score a free Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven. After about 3 hours of scrubbing, it's almost clean. 😅

20220822_000035.jpg

I started watching Cuisinart's videos on YouTube for it, and the first one I watched, they showed a tray of sweet potato fries. I thought, "Oh, that looks like a good sized serving, or a side for *maaaybe* two people. The host then said, "and as you can see, it's plenty of fries for a whole bunch of people." 🤣

Then out of ALL of the things they could have chosen to demonstrate in the air fryer toaster convection oven, for just the 2nd recipe in the video...guess what they chose. Chicken wings? Maybe brussel sprouts? Maybe some melty toasted sandwiches or frozen breaded chicken strips?

Nope. They chose granola. WTF?

Parmesean and panko crusted chicken with lemon and sun-dried tomatoes. The broccoli has crush red pepper flakes, but somehow managed to capture none in the photograph.

Screenshot_20220824-111548_Gallery.jpg