Foodgear - A Finalgear Recipe Collection

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S, '08 X5 3.0D
So, those in the Telegram channel will have seen that I proposed the idea of sharing recipes in a thread, and possibly collating them into some kind of ebook or so forth. There was some interest, and so this thread was (finally) born.
Since we can't travel too far at the moment, and I'm sure many of us have old family recipes, or tried and true favourites that are local or regional specialties, perhaps by sharing them here, and having other members around the world try them out, we can explore the world with our tastebuds instead!

I'll be back with a recipe when it's not 3am here, and I've had a chance to sit and type it up properly, from the shorthand version quickly stored in the notes app on my phone.

Great idea!
Thanks for starting the thread.

I'll start:

Tapioca pearls in wine, a staple of the Italian immigrants back in Brazil
- 1500ml of red wine. As grapey and sweet as possible
- 500ml of water
- 500g of dried tapioca pearls
- 500g of white sugar
- a few sticks of cinnamon and a few cloves

- Soak the pearls in water for around 1 hour
- In a big pot, put the water and wine. When it starts boiling, add the pearls (without the water, just the pearls).
-Boil for 10 minutes.
-Add sugar, cinammon and cloves and boil until the desired thickness is reached (that is, a few more minutes.)

Done!

Let it cool in the fridge and enjoy.

This is usually eaten paired with a Crème anglaise.

1614794316748.png

Halal Snack Pack - After a night out on the grog, there's no greater Aussie tradition than heading to the local kebab joint for an HSP.

Ingredients - serving extras:

Frozen potato chips (or make your own)

salt

olive oil

shredded mozzarella

barbeque sauce

sriracha sauce

Meatloaf:

½ kilo/2.2lbs minced lamb (or torn up charcoal chicken, or both!)

1 grated brown onion

fine chopped garlic cloves (As many as you like, I’m not imposing a limit)

cayenne pepper

ground cumin

ground coriander

salt to taste

ground black pepper

(Technically 1 teaspoon of each, but you do you...)

Garlic Sauce:

3-4 cups olive oil

peeled garlic cloves (At least 10, but again, you measure that with your heart!)

¼ cup lemon juice

¼ cup ice cold water

1 ½ teaspoons salt

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 150c/300f

Put all meatloaf ingredients in a food processor and blend until mixture is well combined.

Tip mixture out onto foil, and form by hand into loaf shape, then roll and wrap it up tight.

On a baking tray cook for 1.5-2 hours. When done, allow to rest in foil for 30 minutes.

Garlic sauce:

Chill olive oil for 1 hour.

Blend garlic, lemon juice, ice water and salt to a smooth puree. Drizzle in the chilled oil steadily until the oil is emulsified and starts to thicken (should be just a little more watery than mayo).

Taste and add more lemon or salt as preferred.

Put into a bottle and chill until ready to serve (will keep in fridge for up to a month, so you can use it on everything.)

Cook potato chips using your preferred method, season while hot.

Slice meatloaf into long thin strips, heat olive oil in a frypan on high and fry the meat strips until browned.

Serve on a bed of fries/chips, scatter mozzarella over the top of the lamb strips then drizzle generously with garlic sauce, barbeque sauce and sriracha.
HSP.png

Last edited:
Halal Snack Pack - After a night out on the grog, there's no greater Aussie tradition than heading to the local kebab joint for an HSP.

salt

olive oil

shredded mozzarella

barbeque sauce

sriracha sauce

Meatloaf:

½ kilo minced lamb (or torn up charcoal chicken, or both!)

1 grated brown onion

cayenne pepper

ground cumin

ground coriander

salt to taste

ground black pepper

(Technically1 teaspoon of each, but you do you...)

Garlic Sauce:

3-4 cups olive oil

peeled garlic cloves (At least 10, but again, you measure that with your heart!)

¼ cup lemon juice

¼ cup ice cold water

1 ½ teaspoons salt

METHOD:

Put all meatloaf ingredients in a food processor and blend until mixture is well combined.

Tip mixture out onto foil, and form by hand into loaf shape, then roll and wrap it up tight.

On a baking tray cook for 1.5-2 hours. When done, allow to rest in foil for 30 minutes.

Garlic sauce:

Blend garlic, lemon juice, ice water and salt to a smooth puree. Drizzle in the chilled oil steadily until the oil is emulsified and starts to thicken (should be just a little more watery than mayo).

Put into a bottle and chill until ready to serve (will keep in fridge for up to a month, so you can use it on everything.)

Slice meatloaf into long thin strips, heat olive oil in a frypan on high and fry the meat strips until browned.

Serve on a bed of fries, scatter mozzarella over the top of the lamb strips then drizzle generously with garlic sauce, barbeque sauce and sriracha.
View attachment 3560427
giphy.gif

salt

olive oil

shredded mozzarella

barbeque sauce

sriracha sauce

Meatloaf:

½ kilo minced lamb (or torn up charcoal chicken, or both!)

1 grated brown onion

cayenne pepper

ground cumin

ground coriander

salt to taste

ground black pepper

(Technically1 teaspoon of each, but you do you...)

Garlic Sauce:

3-4 cups olive oil

¼ cup lemon juice

¼ cup ice cold water

1 ½ teaspoons salt

METHOD:

Garlic sauce:

Serve on a bed of fries, scatter mozzarella over the top of the lamb strips then drizzle generously with garlic sauce, barbeque sauce and sriracha.
View attachment 3560427
I fell in love with this dish after coming across it somehow years ago. I even was in a Facebook group where aussies posted these potato and meat contraption quite often. So good, I will have to make it now.

Not sure about mozzarella, barbecue sauce and sriracha sauce altogether on a kebab.

Probably should a have a separate Kebab thread.

Not sure about mozzarella, barbecue sauce and sriracha sauce altogether on a kebab.

Probably should a have a separate Kebab thread.

Don't knock it until you try it. That's the whole point of this thread anyway.

Last edited:
As someone who will eat practically anything I would totally eat these. The wine desert seems like a delicious mulled wine type (I'm always up for adding sugar to red wine) and kebab is well... kebab. What's not to like?

@Misrabelle - I like the way you alternated between chips and fries, that was obviously totally deliberate to keep Brits and Americans happy. :p

Last edited:
that was obviously totally deliberate to keep Brits and Americans happy. :p

*shrug* if the way a fried potato is described bothers you, maybe realize that maybe some stuff just doesn't matter. :p

As someone who will eat practically anything I would totally eat these. The wine desert seems like a delicious mulled wine type (I'm always up for adding sugar to red wine) and kebab is well... kebab. What's not to like?

@Misrabelle - I like the way you alternated between chips and fries, that was obviously totally deliberate to keep Brits and Americans happy. :p
Indeed. I also changed (most of, I think) the measurements from mls or grams to their equivalent cup/spoon measures, since that is probably easier for everyone.
However I was out on a driving job when I was doing it, and people calling me all the time to ask questions wasn't helping me concentrate.

Last edited:
Great idea!
Thanks for starting the thread.

I'll start:

Tapioca pearls in wine, a staple of the Italian immigrants back in Brazil
- 1500ml of red wine. As grapey and sweet as possible
- 500ml of water
- 500g of dried tapioca pearls
- 500g of white sugar
- a few sticks of cinnamon and a few cloves

- Soak the pearls in water for around 1 hour
- In a big pot, put the water and wine. When it starts boiling, add the pearls (without the water, just the pearls).
-Boil for 10 minutes.
-Add sugar, cinammon and cloves and boil until the desired thickness is reached (that is, a few more minutes.)

Done!

Let it cool in the fridge and enjoy.

This is usually eaten paired with a Crème anglaise.

View attachment 3560417
thanks for the recipe. I will try the recipe.