For Americans wondering "Why the hate?", some answers from PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

janstett

Car(s)
86 944 Turbo, 2000 TA, 09 GC Overland, 11 CLS550
I caught the premiere of "America at a Crossroads: The Anti-Americans (a hate/love relationship)" just now on PBS. They spend a good 20 minutes of this episode on the British view of America (the first 15-20 minutes I caught discussed Poland's relationship with America; and apparently I just missed France) and it helps to answer some of the questions most Americans don't understand as far as Europe, and Britain's specifically, and Top Gear's even more specifically, hatred.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/crossroads/about/show_anti-americans.html

It's much more complex than simple patriotism or national pride. To sum it up:

- Britain has a hard time getting over the loss of its empire and Brits have an inferiority complex towards Americans, they don't like that they are so far below the US on the world's stage; any chance they have to make themselves feel superior to Americans is therefore relished to soothe their inferiority complex.
- As an outgrowth of this, they are OBSESSED with the freaks and outcasts of American society. Think about the Alabama incident in series 9's visit to America. I was kind of shocked to see film footage of BBC presenters travelling to America in the 1970s salivating with glee to talk to UFO conspiracy nuts and in the 80's to talk to some freakish gun cult. In light of this, I visualized Clarkson in the stead of his 1970's counterpart; Clarkson suddenly didn't seem very innovative; in fact he was following a long line of BBC precedent. Now, thinking back through Clarkson's videos over the years, the picture becomes sharply focused; that's why you'll never see New York City or Los Angeles or anything good on film. That's why you'll see staged hillbillies and gangbangers and idiots on the streets of Las Vegas. That's why they go to New Orleans to prey on the underbelly of that city's misery. That's why they go to Detroit to show the abandoned houses. Given that, I must applaud the team for bothering to show anything worthwhile or give America any credit at all (e.g. 60's muscle cars, SR-71, Shuttle).
- In general, they are simultaneously enthralled with America, and incredibly frightened of what they see and don't like. Part of it is snobbery of the intellectuals thinking only they or their ilk should have a public voice, but at large they think Americans are a bunch of clowns running around not knowing what they are doing; and some nauseating examples (Jerry Springer, Paris Hilton) reinforce this horror. George W. Bush's perceived bumbling incompetance and inarticulate mannerisms (which I maintain are a facade but I'll leave for another discussion) plays into that fear.
- They rail against anything American, yet ironically their lives are PERMEATED with American influence; in many ways they are criticising themselves. (Haven't we always said Clarkson is an American?) They are innundated with a lot of American TV programs and American culture/coprorations in their daily lives.
- They are simultaneously disgusted by, and enamored of, the ability of anyone here to say whatever they want, no matter how stupid or uninformed. In proper British society, one doesn't just speak up.
- They feel, at the bottom of it all, that they CREATED the US and therefore by proxy are still running the show. They subconsciously take credit for everything American. Consequently they maintain a view of the world wherein they created everything (very Clarksonesque, no?)

I highly recommend the show; it was almost like having a therapy session with Jeremy and getting inside his head. I found it very interesting on a non-Top Gear level as well.

Last edited:
^yea

The original post is a well worded exposition but it will only fall on deaf ears.

You can also get an idea about how people's ideas and opinions about America and Americans are formed by watching TV and movies. I've read and heard many Europeans call Americans "ignorant" but I have found that the level of ignorance is about the same.

America's the 800lb gorilla in the walk-in closet - everybody simultaneously hates it and loves it, wants to ignore it but is enthralled by it altogether. In the end, it's because nobody can deny its influence in almost every facet of human life.

I don't understand the kids on this site that despise being from here. There location says "England hopefully" or something like that.

I don't understand the kids on this site that despise being from here. There location says "England hopefully" or something like that.

ZOMG I don't understand them, they must be wrong!

/Staying out of this thread.
//going to England in 2 months.

I'm going to have to suggest this program coming out on the 3rd of September titled "Inside America's Empire": http://www.pbs.org/weta/crossroads/about/show_inside_americas_empire.html

I also suggest reading the book Imperial Grunts: On the Ground with the American Military, from Mongolia to the Philippines to Iraq and Beyond by Robert D. Kaplan, the same man in the TV program above.

Yeah... what of it?

I'm gonna stay out of this thread.

Because Britain is really not better than the US, it is just different. Before moving there I would talk with the thousands and thousands of British citizens who seem to be leaving Britain for places like Spain, Australia, and the United States. There is quite a movement going on. BBC news did a piece on it awhile back, I would check that out also.

Last edited:
http://img517.imageshack.**/img517/1007/flamewar1dy0.gif

:whistle: *leaves thread...*

http://img517.imageshack.**/img517/1007/flamewar1dy0.gif

:whistle:

I'm game, though quite a few of the Europeans should be asleep right now. But in the end the conclusion that we will come to is that about 99% of anti-Americanism is a result of the ignorance of the people preaching it.

ZOMG I don't understand them, they must be wrong!

/Staying out of this thread.
//going to England in 2 months.

I think the point was that the "Location" is supposed to show where you're located. Not where you want to be located. Ask everyone on this site where they would choose to live, if given the choice, and you'll see many different countries listed.

I find it funny that some American's trash talk America on here, because every time they insult America and Americans, they're also insulting themselves. Of course, that's why they do it, to try and distance themselves from the stereotypical American. That's why you see newbie members make a point of addressing their weight and education. It's even more pathetic, because being from this country should give you the knowledge of how vastly different life is from area to area. But some still choose to ignore this and side the Big Book of Stereotypes.

The grass is always greener from the other side.

^ You should be LEGIT banned for posting that :puke: :p

I must admit after the Top Gear special I thought to myself I am NEVER EVER going to America, after watching it again today I really don't think I would want to visit certain places......BUT that applies to no doubt every country in existence.

No doubt there are a lot of people in America that are very ignorant for whatever reason (quite possibly the state of American news media) but this forum shows that there are intelligent, articulate people there as well.

The only thing that I don't like about the states is the way they "americanize" certain things. Shows like Iron Chef America and Hell's Kitchen are just some examples. Other than that I've been to the states many times and I have to say that the people there are good people. Very helpful and kind. Yes, there are lots of fat people but overall it does seem to be a nice place. But to be honest, theres no place like home :)

I must admit after the Top Gear special I thought to myself I am NEVER EVER going to America, after watching it again today I really don't think I would want to visit certain places......BUT that applies to no doubt every country in existence.

No doubt there are a lot of people in America that are very ignorant for whatever reason (quite possibly the state of American news media) but this forum shows that there are intelligent, articulate people there as well.
I find it ironic that you accuse "a lot" of Americans of being ignorant and then go on to admit that your view of an entire nation is based on an episode of Top Gear.

One worrying thing for Americans tho'.

"Great Britain: A majority (57%) continues to see US influence in the world as mainly negative, while just 33 percent sees US influence as mainly positive?down slightly from 36 percent in 2006.

"France: French views of the United States remain quite negative, showing little change over the previous year after sharply worsening from 2005 to 2006. Seven in ten (69%) say the US is having a mainly negative influence in the world, only slightly greater than the 65 percent who held this view in 2006."

"Poland: The Polish, long the European public to express the most positive feelings toward the United States, have turned sharply cooler though a plurality is still positive. The number holding a positive view of the US has dropped from 62 to 38 percent and negative views from Poland also increased significantly, up from 15 to 24 percent."

European view of American influence - it's not improving is it?

One thing to remember when there is some fighting to be done and some lives to be lost which European country turns up to help and which one go and find a hole to hide in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.