• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

For the guitar nuts

jensked

You may have seen this, but I'll post it anyway, it's a segment from the "Crossroads" movie. (not the Britney Spears one of course :))

You see a guitar duel between the city star (Steve Vai) and the country Boy (Ralf Dimaggio or what's his name, Karate Kid). The city star just smashed the Country boy in the duel, but the last one fights back with one of the most memorable guitar scenes. ("Eugene's Trick Bag")

Enjoy :)
http://tangledupinblues.com/video/Steve Vai & Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossroads Guitar Duel.mpg
(right click, save as, 25mb, very fast link) By the way, the name of the file is incorrect, there's no Stevie Ray Vaughan in it :)

For those of you who're in doubt: in reality, Steve Vai plays both. For the movie, they teached the actor Ralf Dimaggio how to mimic the movements, but he can't really play it.

Cool, you can kinda tell that Ralf is not really playing it, awesome nonetheless.

i have a lot of my friends go on and on about that movie. i never knew what they were talking about just until now. :lol: thanks for sharing!

another great guitar moment in a movie would be the battle of the bands scene in "bill and ted's bogus journey". there's a bit of awesome steve vai guitar solo which then segues into the music for the end credits. (god gave rock n roll to you by kiss)

i'm getting about 120kb/s at the mo, looking forward to seeing this. I love the Steve Vai song from Bill and Ted :)

got it, decent speeds this time...

jayjaya29 said:
Cool, you can kinda tell that Ralf is not really playing it, awesome nonetheless.
^x2 ;)

Crossroads is one of my favorite movies.
It would have been better if they had picked someone other than Karate boy for it though. :?

i knew i'd seen that guy before!

Re: For the guitar nuts

jensked said:
the city star (Steve Vai)
Actually, he's the devil's best guitarist, Jack Butler. That's the whole point of the 'crossroads' (where Robert Johnson supposedly made a deal with the devil).
Steve Vai plays both.
Actually, Ry Cooder plays Ralph's part. ;) It was Steve vs. Ry in the "Head Cuttin' Duel." And it was apparently around 15 minutes long originally, which would have been way too long for a movie.

Arlen Roth taught Ralph to "play" for the movie (four days a week for two months) and wrote all the guitar parts.

Re: For the guitar nuts

Ripplin said:
Steve Vai plays both.
Actually, Ry Cooder plays Ralph's part. ;) It was Steve vs. Ry in the "Head Cuttin' Duel." And it was apparently around 15 minutes long originally, which would have been way too long for a movie.

Arlen Roth taught Ralph to "play" for the movie (four days a week for two months) and wrote all the guitar parts.

Actually, there's some confusion. In some interviews of people who made the movie, you hear different stories.

Vai playing both, Vai playing both except the slide guitar by Cooder, Vai vs Cooder, blablabla

And every story is as credible as the other and has several sources, so we'll never know.

Nobody seems to know.

Yeah, you're right. I put that down from memory, but I do know there are conflicting views. I've read a few of them, but not lately.

I just got out my booklet from Steve's album "The Elusive Light and Sound Vol. 1" and he says "a lot of people ask me [if] that's me doing both guitar parts in the duel. I do all the guitar parts except the slide stuff, that's Ry. Essentially I had to beat myself in the last movement." :)

And I must say that, even though Ralph's playing may not be note-perfect, he did a very convincing job with the parts he had to play himself or play to!

Thanks for pointing out the ugliness of my sig. Haha! (the anti-alias was already on, too! You should see that one without) I didn't like it either, but I didn't really want a background behind it. I like the look of this new one, though. Much clearer.

I like your current sig, by the way. You're obviously into guitars and some of the more lesser-known things it has been featured in. Any favorite players and such?

Here's a funny picture I found of Vai and Lemmy. Steve is being a little more polite. :p

lemmyvai1.jpg

Found this, too:

steve_vai.jpg

"Steve Vai, the man who wanted to try everything"

oui oui, je sais parler le francais, pas besoin de le traduire ;-)

Well, I'm first of all a Clapton, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan fan. (i'm 22 so i'm no old bloke :)) I've been to Clapton's last tour and I'll be going to his next Belgian stop in may.
I've seen Steve Vai two months ago in Antwerp. A show of (i kid you not) 3 full hours. And 45 minutes support act (Eric Sardinas). That was too much. After one hour I got bored, cause basically it's just all the same with Vai :twisted:

It's funny, because even before I checked that link, I thought "I wonder if it's gonna be Jake Shimabukuro?" And so it was. :p

Did you see his appearance on Conan O'Brien? It was amazing! One of those times where Conan was truly impressed by a guest. Heh.