4. Dodge Nitro SLT
5. Chrysler Town & Country
6. Mercedes Benz S500
7. Chevrolet Aveo
8. Chevrolet Colorado
9. Nissan Titan
10. Jeep Liberty
11. Smart Fortwo

Let?s get this out of the way: There really aren?t any truly abysmal new cars in dealers? showrooms any more. Even the worst of the lot would be considered superior when compared to some notorious clunkers from the 1970?s and ?80?s. Still, not all models are created equal. Each offers varying degrees of performance, comfort, utility and economy. A few hit home runs in virtually every category, while others may miss the mark in one or more areas, sometimes as trade offs for excellence in another. Some have just stayed on the shelf for too long and are forced to compete with dated designs and technology.

As the latest round of new-car ratings from Consumer Reports illustrates so soundly, the differences between the ?best? vehicles in the market and the also-rans is decreasing to an ever narrowing degree. Truly awful cars from the dark days of the auto industry might have been characterized by inferior engineering, dismal ? often hazardous ? performance, dubious reliability and fit and finish that rivaled the craftsmanship of a seven-year-old assembling a model car while dozy on plastic-cement fumes. By comparison, some highly criticized new cars today tend to commit far more lenient sins.

For example, Ford dropped from fifth place among all manufacturers rated by Consumer Reports to the 11th spot this year, even though its road-test scores actually improved by two points. What makes better-performing cars bad? The magazine chalks it up to ?subpar reliability of some new vehicles, due largely to the troublesome MyFord Touch infotainment system and Power-Shift automatic transmission.? We?re not big fans of Ford?s clumsy control system or the too-busy-for-its-own-good gearbox found in the automaker?s smallest cars, but neither qualm is hardly on the same plane as notorious episodes from past model years of cars rolling over and/or out of control in emergency handling maneuvers or bursting into flames following a collision.

Similarly, Honda fell a step out of CR?s favor because recently redesigned versions of the compact Civic and Odyssey minivan were good, but not just deemed good enough as the versions they replaced.

That said, we poured over the latest data from Consumer Reports? 2012 Annual Auto Issue to identify which models, based on a convergence of objective test results, could be considered the 10 Worst Built Cars for 2012. (See the accompanying slide show for the complete rogues? gallery and selection criteria.)

We started by examining CR?s road test ratings and isolated the models that were ranked at or near the bottom, as noted by an aggregate score under 50. Overall ratings are based on more than 50 individual tests and evaluations, and are presented on a 100-point scale. We then identified those models that received the lowest marks for reliability, based on Consumer Reports subscriber surveys, and were cited for at least two other ?worsts,? including bottom-of-the-pack value ratings, highest five-year operating costs, lowest owner satisfaction, poorest fuel economy in a given class and/or worst performance in accident-avoidance tests.

Of the 10 models that comprise our final list of 10 Worst-Built Cars for 2012, all but two of them, the Smart ForTwo and Toyota FJ Cruiser, come from domestic-brand automakers, specifically Chrysler LLC and General Motors. While those automakers have been making great strides in recent years with new and recently redesigned models, they?re still recovering from their near-death experiences in 2008-2009 and the laggards in their respective lines awaiting major makeovers or replacements continue to haunt them.

?GM and Chrysler are building nicer cars with each redesign. Still, their scores are dragged down by several older designs that score low in Consumer Reports testing or have reliability issues,? says David Champion, senior director, Consumer Reports Automotive Test Center, ?As more new products are introduced, their fortunes could change if they can improve their overall reliability.?

Most of the vehicles on our list are comparatively dated models that have fallen behind the competition in terms of automotive engineering and/or meeting consumers? expectations. The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickup trucks, for example, haven?t seen a major redesign since the 2004 model year; the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Dodge Avenger, Jeep Compass and Liberty, Smart ForTwo and Toyota FJ Cruiser have received only incremental changes since 2007 or 2008. Even the most modern models in our list, the Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck (redesigned for 2010) and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (debuting for 2009) still run on dated underpinnings and have limited appeal except perhaps to a loyal following with specific needs.

There is at least one bright side here, however. For those who can overlook their flaws, most of the models on our least-desirable list tend to command deep dealer discounts and are eligible for substantial manufacturers? incentives, including cash rebates, cut-rate financing and affordable lease deals. For example, the pint-sized Smart ForTwo can currently be leased for as little as $139 a month for 36 months with a $999 down payment. Dodge is offering $3,000 cash back on the midsize Avenger sedan, with Jeep granting a like amount to buyers of its midsize Liberty SUV. The heavy-duty Dodge RAM 2500 pickup on our list is being offered with a $1,500 rebate, while the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks are being sold with up to $2,000 cash back.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2012/03/19/the-worst-built-cars-for-2012/

As a whole, not a very big surprise. But what is the S-class doing on that list?

Last edited:
Something's not right...the list I found doesn't correspond with the pictures shown on Forbes.

And the S550 must be a mistake.

It used Consumer Reports for ranking data. Pretty much invalidates the whole thing. Not that I don't think most of those cars are particularly poor in initial build quality - because they fail quite a lot in the real world - but anything using recent CR data is instantly suspect and should not be used as reference material if at all possible.

Last edited:
TIL Mercedes is a US domestic auto maker. :p

Yeah I noticed that too. The fact the Mercedes isnt on Forbes website and the list goes all the way up to eleven makes me wonder if OP inserted Mercedes because he doesnt like Mercedeses?

Last edited:
Today I learned the plural for Mercedes is Mercedeses :razz:

In all seriousness though, something has got to be wrong with having an S500 on that list. Maybe a few years ago I wouldn't be so surprised if say a C Class or other American built Mercedes was on the list during Merc's dark days but it's a whole different story these days.

Reactions: AiR
Wait, are we looking at the same list? The one I found: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45ghgl/cadillac-escalade/#gallerycontent

• Cadillac Escalade
  • Chevrolet Colorado
  • Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
  • Dodge Avenger
  • Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Liberty
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
  • Smart ForTwo
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser
EDIT: I see this was already mentioned.

I was a little surprised to see the FJ Cruiser on there, not because it's a high-quality vehicle (it isn't), but because it is part of the Cult of Toyota, the massive group that unquestionably buys the next Toyota model * because that is what they have always done. There is an assumption that Toyota builds excellent products even though the best years from that company are now more than a decade behind us. GM went through this same process, they used to build a good product and then started to believe their own BS and refused to see where quality and design were slipping until it was too late. Now they are a punchline. Back in the late 1990s, Toyota announced they wanted to chase GM and be the largest automaker in the world - well, they are well on the way to following in GM's tragic footsteps - oh, and Volkswagen Auto Group already claimed the "largest" title from GM and we know what their quality is like.

First, I am seeing a lot of places where they are cutting corners, even on their Lexus vehicles. Lexus used to be a no-compromises line that was destined to compete with Mercedes. Now the switches and latches are lifted out of a Camry, the materials have gotten cheap and the build quality has declined - but these vehicles are still close to Mercedes and Audi in terms of price. This simply cannot be sustained.

Second, and this is the big one, during the gas-pedal recall circle-jerk, it became clear that Toyota has a corporate culture of the illusion of quality. Employees won't report problems they discover because they fear being blamed, the company is highly compartmentalized so problems that are discovered in, say, California, never get out to other regions or to headquarters in Japan. This simply cannot happen if a company wants to continue to hold onto it's mantra of quality; that quality cannot be assumed, it must be challenged at every turn. This is what got Toyota it's reputation, and the current corporate culture is what will eventually result in their fall from grace.

Last edited:
No Mazda :)

I was a little surprised to see the FJ Cruiser on there, not because it's a high-quality vehicle (it isn't), but because it is part of the Cult of Toyota, the massive group that unquestionably buys the next Toyota model * because that is what they have always done.

That's because Forbes based their list on Consumer Reports's ratings. CR isn't really liked by car enthusiasts since they treat cars as unemotionally as they treat the washing machines they test, but that does help make them very impartial (on a side note, I've always been impressed with how CR sources everything they test, including vehicles: they buy them at retail using undercover buyers across the country, as anything sourced from the manufacturer is likely to be cherry-picked).

I can see the S-class being on that list actually. The interior was fantastic when the model first came out, but the new A8 and 7-series are much more solid-feeling now.

I was a little surprised to see the FJ Cruiser on there, not because it's a high-quality vehicle (it isn't), but because it is part of the Cult of Toyota, the massive group that unquestionably buys the next Toyota model * because that is what they have always done. There is an assumption that Toyota builds excellent products even though the best years from that company are now more than a decade behind us. GM went through this same process, they used to build a good product and then started to believe their own BS and refused to see where quality and design were slipping until it was too late. Now they are a punchline. Back in the late 1990s, Toyota announced they wanted to chase GM and be the largest automaker in the world - well, they are well on the way to following in GM's tragic footsteps - oh, and Volkswagen Auto Group already claimed the "largest" title from GM and we know what their quality is like.

First, I am seeing a lot of places where they are cutting corners, even on their Lexus vehicles. Lexus used to be a no-compromises line that was destined to compete with Mercedes. Now the switches and latches are lifted out of a Camry, the materials have gotten cheap and the build quality has declined - but these vehicles are still close to Mercedes and Audi in terms of price. This simply cannot be sustained.

Second, and this is the big one, during the gas-pedal recall circle-jerk, it became clear that Toyota has a corporate culture of the illusion of quality. Employees won't report problems they discover because they fear being blamed, the company is highly compartmentalized so problems that are discovered in, say, California, never get out to other regions or to headquarters in Japan. This simply cannot happen if a company wants to continue to hold onto it's mantra of quality; that quality cannot be assumed, it must be challenged at every turn. This is what got Toyota it's reputation, and the current corporate culture is what will eventually result in their fall from grace.

I agree 100%. I sat in several Lexus models at the local auto show and was unimpressed. The materials in the CT Hybrid were particularly non luxurious with some iffy panel fits. Even the LS interior doesn't wow me compared to the 7 series that was parked 20 ft away, and I've seen press shots of a LS interior with a misaligned looking glovebox door.

The new Camry's proof that they're trying to get better when it comes to interiors but corner cutting still shows through.

Last edited:
It used Consumer Reports for ranking data. Pretty much invalidates the whole thing. Not that I don't think most of those cars are particularly poor in initial build quality - because they fail quite a lot in the real world - but anything using recent CR data is instantly suspect and should not be used as reference material if at all possible.

I'm not in the know as to why CR data is suspect. Why do you say that?

I'm not in the know as to why CR data is suspect. Why do you say that?

They've been caught out lying a number of times. The latest one was when they continued to automatically give Toyota high rankings when the evidence of Toyota quality was going the other way.

It all started with the Suzuki Samurai rollover test - which, as it turned out, was rigged.

The behavior which CU deemed unacceptable stemmed from the sudden swerve simulation part of the test where, for example, a car backs out of a driveway or drives forward from a side street or intersection and into traffic, causing the driver to suddenly swerve to avoid hitting the object that is obstructing the driver's path.

The unacceptable tipover behavior occurred after the standard course was modified to induce the tipover behavior which did not occur while experienced drivers utilized the standard course.

Been downhill for them since.

That's because Forbes based their list on Consumer Reports's ratings. CR isn't really liked by car enthusiasts since they treat cars as unemotionally as they treat the washing machines they test, but that does help make them very impartial (on a side note, I've always been impressed with how CR sources everything they test, including vehicles: they buy them at retail using undercover buyers across the country, as anything sourced from the manufacturer is likely to be cherry-picked).

CR always gets a stiffy for Toyota, which is why I'm surprised one made the list.

They've been caught out lying a number of times. The latest one was when they continued to automatically give Toyota high rankings when the evidence of Toyota quality was going the other way.

It all started with the Suzuki Samurai rollover test - which, as it turned out, was rigged.

Been downhill for them since.

I see. After reading the Toyota thread you linked to (gracias, btw), it amazes me that CR, a company who is supposed to tell us if crap is good or not, would just say "yeah, its good. They did well the last few times". That just blows my mind that a company that does ratings would issue a recommendation without actually knowing or adequately test the product.

• Cadillac Escalade
  • Chevrolet Colorado
  • Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
  • Dodge Avenger
  • Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Liberty
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
  • Smart ForTwo
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser
Short question for the people who actually know these cars (and don?t have to google every single one of them) - aren?t all those cars all (from a tecnologial view) rather simple automobiles? In terms of drivetrain, electronic aids, electronic systems generally, suspension ...