Ford Atlas Concept (The next F-150 by any other name)

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Jalopnik said:
If you woke up from a bender in Ford's press event this morning, you'd have seen a large scaffold full of buff men in construction outfits spraying showers of welding sparks and pounding large hammers into girders with rippling muscles glistening with sweat. And, based on this and the loud, blaring industrial music, you'd probably think you were in a gay dance club. But you'd likely realize you were wrong when the large truck was lowered from the ceiling and then mobbed by men far too poorly dressed and out of shape to ever be in such a club.The truck was the Atlas, Ford's new concept for the future of the F-150.
While it's a concept truck with more than its share of opulent concept car indulgences, it's also very clearly still an F-150. All the usual F-150 styling cues are there, only more so. There's the trademark beltline drop and kink, the proportions still retain the F-150 bulldog-beefiness, the taillight treatment fits the same basic profile even if they're now the rounded-rect shape that's infected pretty much nearly every taillight today.
The front end's styling is the most dramatically different, though still clearly F-150 based. I find the front grille a bit baroque and fussy, with a number of intersecting bars and openings and slots of varying weights and thicknesses. The headlights are show-car extravagances, LED units with blue glowing piping.
The concept is built on the F-150 platform, and retains the general dimensions, though it is a bit wider, and Ford said it'll be powered by a "next-generation" EcoBoost engine. The real changes body-wise, however, are in active aerodynamic features. The grille features adjustable shutters that would open when more cooling is required (idling in traffic on a hot day) and close for aerodynamic improvements for, say, highway cruising.
There's also a dynamic chin spoiler/front air dam to help with aerodynamics, and each wheel has a set of active, spring-loaded shutters that can close to improve aero performance at speed. I felt these with my hand, and based on the hard duty and environment these trucks will likely face, it's hard to picture them staying intact long. But this is just a show car, so I imagine they'll figure it out.
There's a number of other interesting features designed based on the kinds of work these trucks tend to do. There's a very nice little inverted-U-shaped hydraulic frame that raises out of the tailgate to assist in managing long cargo. If you've ever tried to haul a dozen 12' 2x4s you can imagine how handy something like this could be. Though they didn't mention it, with this thing extended and the tailgate down, you could drag an idiot/friend on roller skates for an excitingly pants-soiling asphalt-skiing session.
Most tantalizing and least explained was a trailer backup assist system. As someone who's blocked traffic horribly backing up trailers, this is very exciting.
The interior is full of leather and screens and some very clever removable aluminum-and-rubber floor mat tray things ? possibly representing the pinnacle of floor mat technology. Also, the roof features an integrated cargo area/rack system for oversize bed cargo tie-downs or smaller item storage. All these features combine into a well-thought-out truck concept.
I talked to Ford Design Head J Mays about the truck and the word he kept saying about it was "intelligent." That word choice reflects a bit of defensiveness to the perceived lo-brow nature of full-sized trucks. If the "intelligence" takes the form of useful tools like they hinted at here, that'd be great, and not the awful attempt to move a truck higher up the brow that was J Mays' oldLincoln Blackwood.
Even though I was really, really hoping for a small or even mid-sized truck (J Mays told me, basically, not a chance) this does seem a rationally-thought out concept. Hopefully the clever bits will make it to production, and not just the overdone grille and fancier interior.

I'm excited to see what this ends up bringing. It seems like Ford really has this market cornered in terms of features. The ecoboost engine was a game-changer when they dropped it in to the F-150 a few years ago, and milage seems to be the name of the game once again with the aero tweaks. The other updates like the liftgate support for long objects are pretty cool too. I hope that when they put them in to production they can be robust enough to stand up to daily abuse. A new feature means nothing if it breaks after you use it three times.

One thing I'm wondering about is the list of powerplants. I know that an updated ecoboost mill will be the volume seller, but will they discontinue V8 F-150s? And what about a diesel model? Surely it's time to give fleets and people who do a lot of towing that kind of torque and fuel flexibility. The diesel that's going in the new Transit seems to me like an obvious choice. You're building them for the states, so why not throw them in a few pickups and see how they sell? It's not like before when the options for diesel power came exclusively from the Super Duty range or from Navistar. There are real options in usable sizes now.

As neither GM nor Ram are discussing discontinuing the V8 Ford can't either. In this particular segment it would loose face.

Ford just introduced the Coyote and Boss V8s three years ago. I'm sure they're not willing to give up on them that easily. And as jetsetter said, when all of your competition - both import and domestic - have V8s, you should too. Also, the aero tricks will work just as well to boost mpg on a V8 as they would with a V6.

A diesel is not a bad idea, though. They seem to sell pretty well in the Super Duty range, it's possible that Ford could introduce an F-150 diesel.

Is that the only bed option? A work truck needs an 8 foot bed, period.

Last edited:
Most do not seem to realize that the Atlas was the most important vehicle shown at the show.

What the hell are you smoking? If it was so important, why haven't I seen this on the news?

:dunno:

(That is me shrugging)

Last edited:
What the hell are you smoking? If it was so important, why haven't I seen this on the news?
:dunno:
(That is me shrugging)

The F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the United States (645,316 during 2012) and as such is quite important to Ford. What happens to the F-150 impacts every division Ford has inside the United States and around the world. The Atlas is important because it previews what is to come for the F-150. Remember that the Corvette may be flashy but is sales are ultimately minimal.

That interior reminds me of this
ford-atlas-dash.jpg
x52_4a96835f50f68.jpg

Please tell me one of those buttons launches the torpedoes. Because 'murcuh.

I don't like it......front end looks plasticky, proportions are wrong, inside looks to flashy, it's not offensive enough to greenies, a pick-up does not need an engine with the word 'eco' in it's name, it needs an engine with 'planet' and 'killer' somewhere in the name, and I bet you can't even get it with a baby sealskin bedcover either.

Bah humbug.....

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what this ends up bringing. It seems like Ford really has this market cornered in terms of features. The ecoboost engine was a game-changer when they dropped it in to the F-150 a few years ago, and milage seems to be the name of the game once again with the aero tweaks. The other updates like the liftgate support for long objects are pretty cool too. I hope that when they put them in to production they can be robust enough to stand up to daily abuse. A new feature means nothing if it breaks after you use it three times.

One thing I'm wondering about is the list of powerplants. I know that an updated ecoboost mill will be the volume seller, but will they discontinue V8 F-150s? And what about a diesel model? Surely it's time to give fleets and people who do a lot of towing that kind of torque and fuel flexibility. The diesel that's going in the new Transit seems to me like an obvious choice. You're building them for the states, so why not throw them in a few pickups and see how they sell? It's not like before when the options for diesel power came exclusively from the Super Duty range or from Navistar. There are real options in usable sizes now.

I think the V8 will stay and I am glad for it. My 5.0 gets better gas mileage than my dad's ecoboost FX4 due to my taller rear axle. All variables like that equal the ecoboost should do a little bit better, but the V8 is far from a gas guzzler. Also, having driven both now, I still prefer the V8. The ecoboost isn't really any quicker and the V8 has an epic sountrack.

The F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the United States (645,316 during 2012) and as such is quite important to Ford. What happens to the F-150 impacts every division Ford has inside the United States and around the world. The Atlas is important because it previews what is to come for the F-150. Remember that the Corvette may be flashy but is sales are ultimately minimal.

The new F-150 will be important, but the concept leading up to it, not so much. Many of them are sold to fleet buyers as work trucks. As long as they don't crew it up and keep it price competitive it will still sell in big numbers.