Ford AU launches new FPV F6X (great, another car to get jealous of)

Elmo187

Car(s)
Cobalt SS/SC-SN95 5.0 Stang-Toyota Corolla AE86
Courtesy of AutoBlog
Introduced at last year's Sydney Motor Show, the Ford territory-based FPV F6X has launched Down Under. It's just another in the string of Oztacular FPV products exclusive to the island continent, and it is the first FPV machine that isn't based on the Falcon sedan or ute. With looks that are reminiscent of the Freestyle/Taurus X, the all-wheel-drive F6X won't ever be confused for either thanks to its turbocharged 362 hp (270 kw), 405 lb-ft (550 nm) inline six and the performance it brings. The suspension is ret-uned for sport duty and the 18-inch rims hide upgraded brakes, featuring 6-pot Brembos in front, which heel the beast when necessary. Inside, a spiffy two-tone leather motif is standard, and outside, exclusive badging and optional striping are all part of the appearance package. Overall, it's pretty cool. The same can't be said for its price: $75,990 AUD is the starting number -- no small amount of cabbage for our Australian friends. Note to Ford: See? If you offered more cool stuff like this in the US, the brass wouldn't be reduced to making Homer Simpson jokes about the current product. TwinForce EcoBoost Taurus X SHO... do it already.
image41757_b.jpg

image41777_b.jpg

full high res gallery

eh... i am not impressed. At first i was all "OMFG forester xt fighter" but then i realized that unlike the forester this isn't based off the chassis of a performance car.

eh... i am not impressed. At first i was all "OMFG forester xt fighter" but then i realized that unlike the forester this isn't based off the chassis of a performance car.

IIRC, it is based off the same platform the Falcon is on.

another high performance Ford from Australia that we don't get.

Well I doubt very many people would buy it even if it was sold here. Maybe a Trailblazer SS and Grand Cherokee SRT-8 competitor, but even those are pretty limited in their sales.

Is that car considered a wagon or SUV down under? I like the wagonish looks but don't have an impression of how tall it really is.

Well I doubt very many people would buy it even if it was sold here. Maybe a Trailblazer SS and Grand Cherokee SRT-8 competitor, but even those are pretty limited in their sales.

its not an SUV and it doesn't have the power to keep up with either of them, so it wouldn't compete against those 2.

:blink:

Mate this thing would run rings around a Forester XT. The forester has a performance chassis does it? I assume you mean the WRX, which is the same chassis as the base model Impreza....that qualifies as a sports car does it?

The ride/handling of the Territory shames many regular cars, let alone SUV's. The only problem with this is it doesn't look nearly aggressive enough. Barely looks any different to the regular Territory Turbo. Hopefully there is an optional 20's pack.

Is that car considered a wagon or SUV down under? I like the wagonish looks but don't have an impression of how tall it really is.

It's taller than a RAV4, ford already have a wagon of the falcon so it's more a softroader.

This should be much faster than a forester XT, it has 270kw and some massive brembo (6 pots) to stop it.

and this is the car that the territory evolved from

fpv-f6-typoon-r-spec-1-big.jpg

Actually it would be classified as a Crossover SUV, which was essentially a name coined to sell ugly minivans, but then started being applied to station wagons.

Actually it would be classified as a Crossover SUV, which was essentially a name coined to sell ugly minivans, but then started being applied to station wagons.

Except for one small thing, the territory isn't a station wagon

Ford Falcon wagon
BlobServer

Ford Territory

BlobServer

BlobServer

The territory is starting to show its age styling-wise, it's due for an update 2009 AFAIK

Oops, that should have been three dots rather than just one, so as to imply the rest of the transition to anything remotely a wagon without a truck frame being called a Crossover.