Ford beats Toyota in quality rankings... no seriously.

A friend of mine had one that blew a head gasket around 200k, cracked the head and block, he said it was the first time it overheated, and that it didn't overheat by alot. That surprised me, I mean Toyota built them to be like a forklift engine or something absurd originally. Did any yours ever overheated?
From what I have found of the very few Cressidas that use the 22R there doesn't seem to be any problems with it other than lack of power. 5Ms and 7Ms that blow a head gasket tend to not even affect the block or head. The very solid 5Ms I have found overheat only because of lack of oil, so it might be a oil leaking issue with seals.
Whats Toyotas cam issue? Do they run flat or something?
According to Toyota, the cams snap.

not suprising at all

from my experience id much rather have a ford focus or mondeo than the equivalent toyota

we have a rav4 t5 or something like that.... its not that its not nailed together proper, it is, but the quality of the interior plastics is woeful.

theres plenty of small rattles n squeaks as the shoddy plastics rub. they feel hard and brittle and because they have been solidly put together every bump in the road is transmitted through the whole interior and it almost sounds like your riding in a van. and you will feel the bumps because the suspension is rock hard.

the 2.0 VVTi engine isnt particularly refined either, it feels like its suffocating and engine noise intrudes into the cabin quite alot, tho this is masked my the horrendous road noise.

add to that it took the dealer nearly 2 weeks to sort out a dodgy ECU and i have to say the Rav4 is one of the worst cars my dad ever purchased.

even the renault scenic RX4 was better, despite the whole power steering frame thing getting cracked. (mum used to hold the wheel on the stops, so the PS pump kept pumping and eventually put a stress crack in the frame work)

i think with the growing popularity of lexus....toyota are trying to ween customers off of their normal cars an on to the more prestiguous and profitable luxury cars and theyre doing this by making a car renowned for its engineering feel cheap so that next time, Mr jones who wants more quality will buy a lexus instead.

not suprising at all

from my experience id much rather have a ford focus or mondeo than the equivalent toyota

we have a rav4 t5 or something like that.... its not that its not nailed together proper, it is, but the quality of the interior plastics is woeful.

theres plenty of small rattles n squeaks as the shoddy plastics rub. they feel hard and brittle and because they have been solidly put together every bump in the road is transmitted through the whole interior and it almost sounds like your riding in a van. and you will feel the bumps because the suspension is rock hard.

the 2.0 VVTi engine isnt particularly refined either, it feels like its suffocating and engine noise intrudes into the cabin quite alot, tho this is masked my the horrendous road noise.

add to that it took the dealer nearly 2 weeks to sort out a dodgy ECU and i have to say the Rav4 is one of the worst cars my dad ever purchased.

even the renault scenic RX4 was better, despite the whole power steering frame thing getting cracked. (mum used to hold the wheel on the stops, so the PS pump kept pumping and eventually put a stress crack in the frame work)

i think with the growing popularity of lexus....toyota are trying to ween customers off of their normal cars an on to the more prestiguous and profitable luxury cars and theyre doing this by making a car renowned for its engineering feel cheap so that next time, Mr jones who wants more quality will buy a lexus instead.
There might be some major differences in Euro Toyotas and American Toyotas. I've been in many Toyotas and they've all been quiet, soft and refined although most fit the definition of boring. My mom has a friend with a RAV4 and normally complains about ride quality of other cars but she liked the RAV4 and wants to replace my Cressida with it much to my displeasure. I think you probably know about the difference between a Euro Ford and American Ford. My cousin's American Focus, when I asked him about how driving a manual was he drifted off and told me about the poor quality materials in that car compared to my uncle's Camry and his former Ford Taurus. That car is noisy although the ride is acceptable.

Who cares about "initial" quality? I only care about how it hold up after 5 or 6 Buffalo winters.

Who cares about "initial" quality? I only care about how it hold up after 5 or 6 Buffalo winters.

Initial Quality is the only reliable quality that can be measured. Everything after the initial break in of the vehicle depends more on the owner then the car. Trust me, give me a Bugatti and I'll find something to break.

"Initial" quality is how many problems, on the average car (numbers taken from a very very large pool of vehicle owners) per 100 vehicles, are there in the 1st year.

Since they use the same criteria for what constitutes a "problem" for every car company, it's an as-good-as-you-can-get measure of how well a car is put together.