Ford beats Toyota in quality rankings... no seriously.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19073071/

DETROIT - Ford supplanted Toyota as the leader of the pack in initial quality rankings, taking the top spot in five of 19 segments in the 2007 survey by J.D. Power and Associates, released Wednesday.

Porsche again dominated the overall ranking of brands, averaging 91 problems per 100 vehicles as it had last year. That compared with a 2007 industry average of 125 problems per 100 vehicles. Last year it was 124.

Ford Motor Co. earned segment awards for the Ford Mustang, Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan and Mazda MX-5 Miata. Mazda is 33.4 percent owned by Ford.

Toyota Motor Corp., which grabbed the top spot in 11 segments last year, captured only four this year ? the 4Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma and Lexus RX350/RX400h.

Ford?s Lincoln brand took third in overall nameplate rankings, averaging 100 problems per 100 vehicles. It was behind Porsche and Toyota?s Lexus luxury brand, which averaged 94 problems per vehicles.

Lincoln jumped from 12th in 2006.

?We saw dramatic improvement from Lincoln,? said Neal Oddes, J.D. Power?s director of product research and analysis. ?It was a fantastic year for the Mercury Milan, with dramatic improvements in terms of defects.?

Overall, he said, Ford?s strength came from new launches such as the Edge, MKX and MKZ.

Toyota had seen its list of quality leaders decrease in a quality study released Monday by Strategic Vision Inc., a San Diego-based market research company and consultant to automakers. Despite improving its overall quality, Toyota led in one category in that study ? down from four in 2006. South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Co. led in five categories, outperforming its Japanese, European and U.S. competitors. Last year, it had no winners.

In the J.D. Power survey, Hyundai fell from third overall to 12th. Oddes said relaunched vehicles such as the Santa Fe did not do as well as the automaker had hoped. On the plus side, the redesigned Elantra performed well in its segment.

For the study, Westlake Village, Calif.-based J.D. Power collected responses from more than 97,000 buyers and lessees of new 2007 model year vehicles after 90 days of ownership.

This year?s survey included 228 questions and asked for information specifically about design and production, such as defects and malfunctions.

Ok, the headline is right from the article, don't shoot me.

Last edited:
Yes, they make good stuff over here too, a little high on an equivalent score over here I'd have thought. Their Dealers are not up to snuff in UK generally, but the actual products are usually very good now. Ford sell several market leaders now.

I've been saying it for quite a while now, but Toyota used to make good quality cars but now they've realised they can make reasonable cars in a middle of the road type way and then trade on the goodwill of their name.

BOYCOT TOYOTA I SAY!

I'm not entirely surprised. Still, I'm not going to buy a Ford..... Thats what Hondas are for :)

My recent experiences with both brand new Toyota and Ford vehicles were both very, very poor. I wouldn't buy either.

I rarely take initially quality seriously I remember the last time this happened when GM won initial quality. As a Toyota owner long term quality is all I care for and the true reason why Toyota is on top at the moment. Toyota has never been perfect and in the end it comes down to how well Toyota can satisfy customers even when problems occur. My dad's 2000 Avalon had some issues that shouldn't have occured apparent to the dealer and fixed with no charge. His 2004 Avalon is probably his most driven car since the Cressida I drive clocking 80,000+ kms. The only problems it ever had...a flat tire and a dead battery...things not at all related Toyota's quality.

i think some of the drops in japanese reliability has to due to fact more and more japanese cars are now made in america. a couple years ago, about 10% of toyotas and hondas were still made in japan and shipped over (FYI if the hondas hood has a white plastic cover, its made in america, a clear plastic cover, its made in japan). with the addition of new american plants and increased demand for the japanese premium brands (acura and lexus), the number of imported hondas and toyotas has basically fallen to zero. maybe this has had an effect.

i think some of the drops in japanese reliability has to due to fact more and more japanese cars are now made in america. a couple years ago, about 10% of toyotas and hondas were still made in japan and shipped over (FYI if the hondas hood has a white plastic cover, its made in america, a clear plastic cover, its made in japan). with the addition of new american plants and increased demand for the japanese premium brands (acura and lexus), the number of imported hondas and toyotas has basically fallen to zero. maybe this has had an effect.

I doubt that personally. I'm betting on Toyota getting a bit comfortable in their position and name. Hell read just about any car magazine, and by default "Toyota's are awesome!" and the American cars always have to prove themselves.

The reason why vehicles like the Helix are so tough is that they are simple. Low power and low stressed engines let them last for some time. Toyota has moved away from this model of simplicity.

They beat Toyota by one segment, whoop-tee-doo....Ford still sucks, IMO. And notice, the Toyota trucks beat the Ford's. I thought Trucks were Ford's pride and joy :lol:

Last edited:
Mazda actually didnt fare as well in the survey, compared to Ford.

And Jeffy, Toyota trucks do no beat Ford - they are facing an expensive recall for engine failures on the new Tundra right now.

And Jeffy, Toyota trucks do no beat Ford - they are facing an expensive recall for engine failures on the new Tundra right now.

Bleh, whatever. The Tacoma won in this test, the Ford truck did not. I used to have a Ford and it died before it even hit 50,000 miles. I've seen Toyotas with over 300,000 miles on them. As far as every day cars go, I'd take a Toyota over a Ford any day of the week.

We've played the recall game before on this forum. Ford trucks get recalled too. All manufacturers have recalls. It's just when Toyota has one, it gets blown way out of proportion. "OMG Toyota had a recall!!! The world must surely be at an end!" I wouldn't be surprised if the US car companies paid the media to have Toyota's recalls exploited even more. Sounds like something those sleezeballs would do. (OK, now I'm being sarcastic, just so you know in advance)

Last edited:
The reason why vehicles like the Helix are so tough is that they are simple. Low power and low stressed engines let them last for some time. Toyota has moved away from this model of simplicity.

And it's a damn shame. Their old (20/22 specifically) R engined cars/trucks are awesome. Sure they had rust problems until the late 80's. But god damn I've never seen a more rock solid engine. Those damn things just never stop going.

Mazda actually didnt fare as well in the survey, compared to Ford.

Considering how new Toyota is to the truck segment I expected as much. It happens when you start introducing new designs and vehicles.

Considering how new Toyota is to the truck segment I expected as much. It happens when you start introducing new designs and vehicles.
Actually they're pretty old in the US truck market. 1964 was when they released a very very small pick up truck which would eventually be called the Hi-lux, now the Tacoma. This market they have grown very slowly only in recent years have they produced trucks with the power and size America wants.

Ford's over here are very well made. The current focus is built to an excellent standard. Although I had a look at an Auris in a showroom the other day (!) and was actually rather impressed (!)

I've noticed that the cars built in America are poor in quality. Our 2001 Sienna for example just doesn't seem as solid as our 93 Tercel. The Siennas got huge caps, and bad finish in certain areas. Mind you, our experience with it has been good. Not a single problem with reliability.