Ford Capri

Flynn

I used to love this car when I was younger. I always promised myself one:) Ofcourse that was when petrol was 75 pence per litre and insurance companies hadn't started fleecing the young out of money. The styling seems abit outdated now as well, back then it had only just finished production I think in the early 90s. Thoughts/views?

ford-capri-1983.jpg

capri_xx_pack.jpg

0008.jpg

Last edited:
I'd prefer the Mk2 in general, and if money wouldn't be a problem, a Mk1 RS2600.

Ford_capri_mk2_1974.jpg

rs-2600.jpg

Thanks for your input. Generally, I have never been fond of cars from the early late 60s/early 70s. I am probably late 80s+ at a stretch but really my passion is for the 90s models. Everything just seemed so right in the 90s, the balance was perfect.

Sure they stopped production in 86. I remember my boss had a D plated Laser 2.0 and god I thought it was awful. Polly is right the car suited the 70's but by the mid 80's it was dated. The facelifts from the Mk1 where much like any other ford of the era, couple of light clusters and a new grill.
Capri315.jpg

Even for 1986, this is old.

My old nightfill manager drove a MK1 Capri. That thing was Shmick, too.

My knowledge of Capri's is limited... I'm sure he said it was a six cylinder. It definitely sounded like a six that's for sure! I'm not sure what he'd done to it but it sounded bloody fantastic!

It was like a deep redish purple colour with 13" chrome wheels. He gave me a ride home in it one time and it turned a lot of heads - unfortunately, there was a police car behind us for most of the journey so he didn't open the taps... but he really didn't need to because it sounded so good that I was already at the maximum level of enjoymentness.

He also had a V12 Jaguar but that's a story for another day...

Am I wrong, or is this the Pontiac Firebird of Europe? Cheap, easy to modify, usually dodgely so, fast in a straight line, driven by aging rednecks/sleazeballs/douchebags/chavs/bogans and the like, who drink cheap beer and have low standards regarding everything, donuts on your lawn, up on cinderblocks in the yard, etc.

Pontiac-Firebird-0.jpg

ford-capri-1983.jpg

I really like this style of Capri. It's too bad we never had this over here in NA, the Mercury Capri never looked anything like that.

How come the picture won't show up? How the hell is anyone supposed to know what I'm talking about.

Am I wrong, or is this the Pontiac Firebird of Europe? Cheap, easy to modify, usually dodgely so, fast in a straight line, driven by aging rednecks/sleazeballs/douchebags/chavs/bogans and the like, who drink cheap beer and have low standards regarding everything, donuts on your lawn, up on cinderblocks in the yard, etc.

Well it was supposed to be an European Mustang :p

I can't speak for all of Europe, in Germany at least the Capri doesn't have that bad of an image in my experience, GM's answer the Opel Manta and its drivers on the other hand were often ridiculed (several box office comedies dedicated to Manta community after it received cult status). The German chav rivalry was mostly between the VW Golf and Opel Manta/Kadett riced (or is it sausaged/schnitzeled in this case?) to carbage hell and back, huge aftermarket part suppliers etc.

Last edited:
I had a Manta "Coupe" as it was back then and my friend at the Capri. The Capri was pretty good in a straight line but shove it through corners and the rear got really squirelly. My Manta could really take the bends much better but was not so good going straight...... although it completely screwed a Sierra (not the XR).

Round our little streets i lost count of the Capris that got side swiped on the drivers side trying to get out of junctions or driveways. I think it was a similar number that ended up in ditches, arse first.

We got an old 1970 Capri ready to get restored.

My Grandfather had a 69' Mk1 until 1984 or so, it was a 2.3 or 2.6l with an automatic. It was a Ghia with vinyl roof and in some kind of copper metallic paint. I remember sitting in it imagining driving it one day. I think it was one of my very first automotive experiences :)

btw: I love the term "schnitzeled" :lol::lol::lol:

I can't speak for all of Europe, in Germany at least the Capri doesn't have that bad of an image in my experience, GM's answer the Opel Manta and its drivers on the other hand were often ridiculed (several box office comedies dedicated to Manta community after it received cult status). The German chav rivalry was mostly between the VW Golf and Opel Manta/Kadett riced (or is it sausaged/schnitzeled in this case?) to carbage hell and back, huge aftermarket part suppliers etc.

:love: kadett coupe
coupe2.jpg

Ya don't say. ;)

We actually have and old Ford Capri III at home... (Look at that nasty 70s interior... :p )

Ford_Capri_21.jpg

Ford_Capri_22.jpg

Ford_Capri_15.jpg

Ford_Capri_13.jpg

It's a 1979 3,0 S Ghia, with an Essex or Cologne V6, not sure which. Anyway, my father bought this car second hand back in 1980, and was using it as an everyday car for some years untill my big brother was born and they bought a second car, a Granada 2,8 estate. My dad however didn't have the heart to sell the Capri, so he kept it. In fact I am quite emotionally tied to the car, as i was almost born in it. Apparently my birh was a hasty one in which my parents had to get to the hospital really quickly with an average speed being in three figures, I have been told. I was born just 10 minutes after they arrived. Explains my love of speed and cars... (And to a certain extent, Fords)

^Never mind the interior, get rid of the body kit, at least the side ones ;)

A six wheeled Manta...

URL=https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/21/tm3.jpg]https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/21/tm3.jpg[/URL]:heart: