ford focus svt problem

michaelc1220

Car(s)
2004 Ford Focus svt
i just recently bought a 2004 ford focus svt. when i got it home everything was working fine and driving great till about an hour later, i noticed that every now and then i couldn't get the shifter to go in gear. it progressively got worse and worse until the next day when i went to take it to the ford dealer i couldn't move it at all. any ideas? thanks!

it does every now and then. But yesterday morning when i went to start it, it jolted forward and i had the clutch to the floor with my foot on the brake and the e-brake locked..The shifter also wouldn't move when this happened so i called for a tow truck

Sounds like the master or slave cylinder for the clutch hydraulic system may be out.

This is a possibility, but there are a couple of other issues with the Getrag transmission in our cars. It is afterall made of paper.

The cluth master cylinder is a known issue and probably needs replacing as most of our cars have one that leaks. I'd check the driver floorboard by the clutch and brake pedals for moisture--that'd be your fluid. If you spot fluid then you're clutch master cylinder needs replacing. If you don't it is time to check the transmission itself along with the slave cylinder.

Also, you could have your shift bushing or shifting fork acting up. Keep in mind these are NOT cheap transmissions so I hope you don't have an issue outside of the clutch master cylinder because it will not be cheap to fix/replace.

*edit*
Also, if your shifter wobbles back and forth when in gear you need to replace a piece on the base of the shifter. And while I'm at it double check that your shifter cable isn't loose or even mostly disconnected.

Go here or here for more specific information for your car.

Last edited:
Does Pennsylvania have lemon laws? How recently did you buy it?

Funny you mention that, Texas has a lemon law (supposedly) and I had an issue 18 hours after I bought it and the dealership wouldn't take it back. I think the lemon law is a joke.

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com said:
The Texas used vehicle lemon law

Your used vehicle may be covered under the Texas lemon law if it is still covered by the manufacturer?s original warranty. The Texas used vehicle lemon law does not recognize extended warranties.

Pennsylvania's lemon law statutes...

Funny you mention that, Texas has a lemon law (supposedly) and I had an issue 18 hours after I bought it and the dealership wouldn't take it back. I think the lemon law is a joke.

Pennsylvania's lemon law statutes...

Well that's not a very useful lemon law, aren't manufacturer warranties transferable anyway? I believe in MA you get 90 days even for used vehicles. PA law seems to only apply to new cars.

I believe most factory warranties are transferable in some sort. Aren't some prorated after ownership transfer? Not 100% sure how the lemon law works to be honest--seems like more hype than actually being helpful.

I actually bought the car in virginia because my mom lives there and we found a better selection there. When i took it back to the honda dealer they said they think it is the clutch so they ordered a new one that should be in by thursday. They said it would cost around 1500 for parts and labor but i told them i would pay 600 for it and they agreed on that price. It was was also having a problem starting but they said this could be due to the fact that if the clutch is bad, the car might not recognize the fact that the clutch is disengaged

$600 is a fair price for a new clutch+installation, make sure they replace the throw-out bearing and double check both the slave cylinder and shifting fork. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure the flywheel is in good shape either.

if it turns out that the slave cylinder needs to be replaced about how much do you think that would cost me?

if it turns out that the slave cylinder needs to be replaced about how much do you think that would cost me?

I'm not sure, because I replaced mine at my dealer while everything else was being replaced--at my employee discount. The part shouldn't be any more than say $60-75. And since they are replacing the clutch they are already at the transmission so the labor shouldn't be much if any additional.

Well you DID buy it from a REALLY sketchy dealer...

It was actually from a pretty well known honda dealer, they just called today and said that it had a new clutch in it but it was the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder that were bad

This is a possibility, but there are a couple of other issues with the Getrag transmission in our cars. It is afterall made of paper.

The cluth master cylinder is a known issue and probably needs replacing as most of our cars have one that leaks. I'd check the driver floorboard by the clutch and brake pedals for moisture--that'd be your fluid. If you spot fluid then you're clutch master cylinder needs replacing. If you don't it is time to check the transmission itself along with the slave cylinder.

Also, you could have your shift bushing or shifting fork acting up. Keep in mind these are NOT cheap transmissions so I hope you don't have an issue outside of the clutch master cylinder because it will not be cheap to fix/replace.

*edit*
Also, if your shifter wobbles back and forth when in gear you need to replace a piece on the base of the shifter. And while I'm at it double check that your shifter cable isn't loose or even mostly disconnected.

Go here or here for more specific information for your car.

I agree... I just bought an 03 SVT and I drove it home and looked on my floormat and there was fluid everywhere. Brought it to ford and they deffinently said it was the clutch master cylinder that was leaking.