Ford Fusion Hybrid tops Camry, Prius

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...fusion-hybrid-tops-camry-prius-in-comparisons

If you're in the market for an ultra fuel-efficient hybrid that makes a convincing family sedan, your best choice has always been a Toyota -- until now. Toyota's Camry Hybrid and Prius have been the only realistic alternatives for many. Most American-built hybrids simply haven't matched their fuel economy, and the Nissan Altima Hybrid remains rare and hard to find.

A new entrant in the contest, however, may have knocked the Toyotas from their lofty perch.

The automotive press has begun testing the all-new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid in recent weeks. Two prominent publications have now published comparisons pitting the Fusion Hybrid against its Toyota competition, and the Ford has won both.

USA Today writes: "OK, let's just get it out there: The 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is the best gasoline-electric hybrid yet. What makes it best is a top-drawer blend of an already very good midsize sedan with the industry's smoothest, best-integrated gas-electric power system. It's so well-done that you have to look to the $107,000 Lexus LS 600h hybrid to come close."

"The Toyota Prius crowd will protest," they note, but USA Today says Ford's car simply drives better. "A car is, after all, a driving machine. Brownie points for saving somewhat more fuel or offering a cargo-friendly hatchback, but driving feel is most important. And there, Fusion is without equal among hybrids."

Car and Driver set the Fusion against the Camry Hybrid, Chevy Malibu Hybrid and Altima Hybrid, but the result was the same. "Ford has pulled off a game changer with this 2010 model, creating a high-mpg family hauler that's fun to drive," they write. "Nothing about the leather-lined test car, optioned up from its $27,995 base price to $32,555, seemed economy minded except for the mileage readings. On that score, the Fusion topped the others, turning in a 34-mpg score card for the overall 300-mile test run."

In our time behind the wheel of the Fusion Hybrid, we quickly came to a similar verdict. The Fusion Hybrid corners with as much agility as its conventionally-powered cousin - one of the best-handling cars in the midsize class. With standard SYNC technology, it allows the driver to control Bluetooth-enabled phones and music players through the car's speakers with voice commands. And its standard leather and high-quality stereo give it an upscale feel for an affordable price. Ford has a hit on its hands.

We had one minor complaint. Ford's SmartGuage instrument cluster does a great job coaching the driver to drive more efficiently with information-rich displays, but the cutesy display that grows leaves as the driver reaches peak efficiency is distracting and can draw your eyes from the road. Still, following the device's prompts, we hit 37.7 mpg in city driving on the first try.

The Fusion Hybrid qualifies for a federal tax credit of $3,400 until the end of March, but few of the cars will reach dealerships by then - if you're in the market, you might want to consider ordering yours before the credit disappears.

Way to go Ford!

Yup, of that class, I like the Fusion the best...

It is worth noting that one of the reasons why the Fusion doesn't suck is that they didn't let the UAW drones build them. They're ALL built in Mexico.

Though they did screw up a bit - they're saying this is a selling point on the new Fusion Hybrids and promoting it heavily.

IMG_2984.JPG

Yes, that's a stock audio system made by Sony in the Fusion. That's going to be a huge letdown after the older Pioneer systems. Sony car audio is absolute fecal matter.

Last edited:
Woo, go Ford. What may become the only American car company.

And you know that I hate Ford, so praise from me is no little thing.

They're the only one of the Three that has a clue, a plan and resources to execute it.

While it may not be the most efficient hybrid, it is the most exciting by miles.

That's great news. More proof that the Big Three didn't necessarily need bailout money. At least Ford was prepared (I know they declined it).

Yes, that's a stock audio system made by Sony in the Fusion. That's going to be a huge letdown after the older Pioneer systems. Sony car audio is absolute fecal matter.

Can't be worse than Toyota's corporate stereo...

Scions come with Pioneers. It's not bad, but I would kill for three or more EQ bands, two just doesn't cut it.

And it does it with out looking idiotic!

I think it speaks volumes for the car when the only thing a board full of gearheads can find to complain about is the stereo.

I'm used to the shitty paper speakers that come stock in most econo-boxes.

It is worth noting that one of the reasons why the Fusion doesn't suck is that they didn't let the UAW drones build them. They're ALL built in Mexico.

Though they did screw up a bit - they're saying this is a selling point on the new Fusion Hybrids and promoting it heavily.

IMG_2984.JPG

i dunno here in the UK the sony systems fitted to the newer focii are a damn sight better than the standard OEM ford schtuff they used to put in (and still do if u dont spec it or the car doesnt have it on the std opt list). theyre supposed be quite heavy on the bass, but apparently thats what we want....sony are usually known for giving that slightly bass heavy, warm living room hi-fi sound, fidelity wise not the best but definately on a par with anything the prospective owner is going to have listened to.

i really like ford, im a bit of a blue oval boy, for me they really arent doing much wrong..... the focus, mondeo, new fezza, kuga, etc are all quality products, and very well engineered considering their asking prices. its almost like you'd be stupid to buy anything else but fords only problem is that there is just so many of the damn things about!!!! i see focii left right an center on a daily basis and i only cycle a few miles per day!

not only that, hire car parking lots are rammed with the things.

Last edited:
i dunno here in the UK the sony systems fitted to the newer focii are a damn sight better than the standard OEM ford schtuff they used to put in (and still do if u dont spec it or the car doesnt have it on the std opt list). theyre supposed be quite heavy on the bass, but apparently thats what we want....sony are usually known for giving that slightly bass heavy, warm living room hi-fi sound, fidelity wise not the best but definately on a par with anything the prospective owner is going to have listened to.

i really like ford, im a bit of a blue oval boy, for me they really arent doing much wrong..... the focus, mondeo, new fezza, kuga, etc are all quality products, and very well engineered considering their asking prices. its almost like you'd be stupid to buy anything else but fords only problem is that there is just so many of the damn things about!!!! i see focii left right an center on a daily basis and i only cycle a few miles per day!

not only that, hire car parking lots are rammed with the things.

I never used to like ford but here we're finally getting a good mix of cars from them, I never thought i'd say this (I've always been a Holden man) but the new falcon is pretty damn good as well.

If I had to buy a hybrid...it would be the Honda Civic Hybrid. It's about the same size, has the same comfort level, might be a little slower but it has a 42MPG combined rating.

34MPG from a Hybrid Fusion seems a bit half-assed. Cars in the past were much more economical, but it seems that the whole world has forgotten about this.
For example, 1983 Honda Accord (1.8 I-4) was rated city 32/hwy 45. Granted, it was a lot lighter than nowaday cars, but what's wrong with that.

If I had to buy a hybrid...it would be the Honda Civic Hybrid. It's about the same size, has the same comfort level, might be a little slower but it has a 42MPG combined rating.

34MPG from a Hybrid Fusion seems a bit half-assed. Cars in the past were much more economical, but it seems that the whole world has forgotten about this.
For example, 1983 Honda Accord (1.8 I-4) was rated city 32/hwy 45. Granted, it was a lot lighter than nowaday cars, but what's wrong with that.

It was also less safe, less powerful, and less luxurious. Might be okay for an Elise, but not what most people want in a daily driver.

Also, these now-reported numbers are in the NEW EPA cycle which is much more realistic, and it affects hybrids even more.

Not sure if the rest of Europe uses the UK gallon or the US-spec gallon, but 34mpgUSg = almost 41mpUKg.

Last edited:
The great thing about this car is it drives like a normal car. I felt the Civic hybrid was the same way. The Prius however didn't really drive well at all. If I were looking for a "normal" car it might make my list.

IMG_2984.JPG

Sony audio is a damned sight better than the Bose bullshit that's been stuffed in Audi's. Bose is shit.

Nissan's managed to get quite a few decent systems out of Bose, but yeah, I don't think anyone else has ever been able to get a good one from Bose.

"No highs, no lows? Must be Bose!"

As for the Pioneer stuff in Toyotas - that's because Toyota deliberately cripples the spec for Toyota audio - so they can upsell you to Lexi.

I got bose headphones that are damn good (in ear ones).
I think Mercedes managed one or two good systems out of them back in the day (or I was too little a kid to know the difference of good and bad quality during the 90's in the mercs we had)

I'm a large fan of the Pioneer/Panasonic combo that Acura put in my car...but yea, the JBL in my dad's Toyota not quite as good as it could be especially considering the number of speakers it has.

Last edited: