Ford hints at 400 HP Taurus SHO.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/..._campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

Blue Oval execs rolled out the red carpet for Taurus SHO owners last week in Dearborn, MI to welcome 100 privately owned examples and many more enthusiasts to town for the 19th annual national Taurus SHO convention. Ford would love nothing more than to win the approval of the already rabid SHO enthusiast community, many of whom appreciate the performance potential of two turbos and all-wheel drive but aren't necessarily on board with the new super-sized model. To that end, Ford dropped some not-so-subtle hints on what could be in store for the next SHO, a model rumored to be on deck for 2013.

"The SHO is at the top [of Ford's performance sedan lineup] and we're going to keep it there," said Steve Ling, Ford's North American car marketing manager during a Tuesday lunch presentation at Ford World Headquarters. "365 horsepower is good. 400 is better."

Advanced Engine Design and Development Engineer Brett Hinds spoke at length about the EcoBoost V6 during the Tuesday presentation, noting that the 3.5-liter engine had the potential for considerably more power, as we'll likely see later this year between the fenders of the F-150. That version of the EcoBoost will definitely produce more torque than the SHO's mill, but if the rumors of 400 horsepower for the F-150 are true, a more muscular SHO could indeed be just around the corner.

I'd be more interested in a Fusion SVT.

400hp? That's passing the power-to-weight of an Evo X at that point.

True, but power/weight is only really important in straight line speed and acceleration. For cornering lightness typically trumps muscle (unless you have a really, really good chassis).

MAYBE this means they'll put the 365 HP version in the Fusion, and the Taurus gets the 400 HP one so it has more power.

(Wildly interpreting things in the hope of moar powah.)

The 365 hp V6 going in the Fusion, combined with some chassis improvements, would make that car a real fire-breathing asphalt smoking monster.

It would have to be AWD with heavy RWD bias, like the Taurus.

Apples and Oranges, mate. The Taurus SHO isn't even on the same planet at the EVO.

And nobody mentioned the EVO.

/still wants a V8 Taurus.

400bhp is indeed better. :D Still, I'd rather have a Fusion SVT with 365bhp or more. That and AWD would make the Fusion THE sport saloon.

Every review I've read of the car said that it felt heavy, even for its size.

I want to like the Fusion and the Taurus, but they are both way too fat. I'd like to see them both drop weight before adding horsepower.

Car companies that make light cars should start advertising that more I think. I'd love to see a lightness war in the car industry, as well as a horsepower war.

I want to like the Fusion and the Taurus, but they are both way too fat. I'd like to see them both drop weight before adding horsepower.

Car companies that make light cars should start advertising that more I think. I'd love to see a lightness war in the car industry, as well as a horsepower war.

Not going to happen as long as mainstream cars have to be affordable and meet ever increasing mandatory equipment lists and obey ever increasing crash safety regulations.