Ford keeps inline 6 through to 2013

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Ford Australia has shelved plans to replace the Falcon's ageing in-line six-cylinder engine with an imported V6 in 2010, guaranteeing the jobs of 400 workers at its Geelong engine plant until at least 2013.

The plant was scheduled to close in 2010, but Ford has instead opted to upgrade the existing engine to Euro IV emissions standards, extending the lifespan of the decades-old engine.

also interesting tibit

Ford yesterday claimed the diesel option was still on the drawing board, despite the complications of fitting a V6 diesel into an in-line six engine bay.

?This announcement is about the in-line six engine only. We have a number of different announcements about alternative powertrains over the coming months,? spokeswoman Sinead McAlary said.

?We have been pretty clear that we are still working on plans for a diesel engine,? she said.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58969

:clap:

The current inline six is brilliant, especially in the F6.

yeah one of my work mates has an fg xr6 turbo and it's damn impressive in that

:thumbsup:

I6 > V6

Alloytech is poo.

Great (and very surprising) news. The V6 was never going to be a match for the torque of the I6. Yes, this news made my day.

I'm a bit oblivious, what makes the I6 better than a V6?

^ More specifically, the Falcon I6's performance (power & in particular torque) are better than the V6 it was going to be replaced with.

Smoother operation?

exactly an I6 is a much more natually balanced engine (IIRC I6 and V12 are the most balanced engines out there) than a V6 allowing for a higher redline and smoother operation. also I6 has 7 main bearings which makes it stronger than a V6 with 5 main bearings. V6 does rev faster because of less reciprocating mass (shorter lighter crankshaft) and is a more compact design

now...only if they bring that to the States.

last i checked Ford Americas policy is that their fastest/top performing car will always be the Mustang so i don't see how we will be getting any of the awesome fords unless we get them detuned... i suppose a NA I6 falcon would be a possibility

Last edited:
How about an I6 mustang, get it around 300 or 320 hp. Get the boss V8 to replace the crap 4.6

:nod:

I can understand if they want the Mustang to be on top, but that just says to me that they should make everything better.

:nod:

I can understand if they want the Mustang to be on top, but that just says to me that they should make everything better.

The other engine (Boss) doesnt need to come in. Even if they make the I6 an option above the 4.6, it would be fine with me. Im sure some other people wouldn't mind this either. A v8 doesn't need to be the top engine.
Im not suggesting they put it in some sedan, especially with the failing sales of the G8, and im not expecting the falcon to come over any time soon.

I personally would rather have the I6 than the ecoboost.

A v8 doesn't need to be the top engine.

Have you ever talked to the average mustang owner/fanboy? An I6 mustang would be an interesting idea although it would definitly be lower tier than the V8 i suppose if we atleast got the I6 in there a XR6 powerplant swap would be atleast in the realm of possiblity (without spending retarded money) Frankly i could care less about it making it to the US i am just amped they will continue to make the I6 because it keeps my hope for a 240Z with an XR6 powerplant alive in the back of my brain (i will ship that shit from AU if i have to when the time comes... if it ever comes)

It might not be that bad an idea really, especially with the exchange rate at the moment.

Klutch, I think Ford might be able to do alright for themselves if they utilize the brilliant Euro Ford models, which they are starting to.

Have you ever talked to the average mustang owner/fanboy? An I6 mustang would be an interesting idea although it would definitly be lower tier than the V8 i suppose if we atleast got the I6 in there a XR6 powerplant swap would be atleast in the realm of possiblity (without spending retarded money) Frankly i could care less about it making it to the US i am just amped they will continue to make the I6 because it keeps my hope for a 240Z with an XR6 powerplant alive in the back of my brain (i will ship that shit from AU if i have to when the time comes... if it ever comes)

The first Mustangs did have their I-6 as the base powerplant, but reviving the old base engine is going to take a helluva marketing campaign to make anyone other than the hardcore historians care. How massive is the following of the Ford Australia I6? Is it anything like the RB26 fanbase among the import crowd?