Ford lasers. Any good?

I had a 1988 KE Laser for 4 years (had it from 1996-2000). The only problem I had was a ruptured radiator tank, but that could happen to any car made in the last 20 years. The tank is plastic and eventually will go brittle.

Other than that, you can't kill them with an axe so long as you change the usual stuff (e.g. oil, coolant, timing belt etc) regularly.

Last edited:
Hmm, I decided to advise against the Laser due to its lack of safety equipment. Told my colleague to stop being such a cheap skate and get something like an old camry with at least 2 airbags in it.

I would avoid the older hatchbacks if you're really concerned about the kid doing something really stupid and injuring himself. Try to find something a little newer, if possible, with some better safety features perhaps (ABS, SRS, etc).

The only way you're going to get those features for similar money to a 1990 Laser is by buying a mid 90's Falcon or Commodore. Then you've got the whole 'big six cylinder rear drive car in the hands of someone fresh off their learners' issue.

Your Laser was sold in the US as the Mercury Tracer. They're almost all extinct now. I haven't seen one in almost 10 years now.

It did not hold up at all and died fast.

OH OH I have
We used to have one, It was bad :lol:
Made my bug look fast and it stalled out all the time

Hmm, I decided to advise against the Laser due to its lack of safety equipment. Told my colleague to stop being such a cheap skate and get something like an old camry with at least 2 airbags in it.

If safety is such a concern, I would have suggested a Volvo 240. Again, it's an old car you can't kill with an axe. But it's very safe old car. And they're kind of cool, in a really uncool way. A lot like the stupid haircuts kids have these days that look really wrong, but they're kind of right because they look so wrong ...

You can all get off my lawn while you're at it, too ... :p