Ford moving small car production to Mexico

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...rd-shiftng-us-car-production-mexico/90355146/

CEO Mark Fields told investors the move is part of plans to make production simpler and less expensive

Ford plans to eventually shift all North American small-car production from the U.S. to Mexico, CEO Mark Fields told investors Tuesday, even though the company's production investments in Mexico have become a lightning rod for controversy in the presidential election.

"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small-car production to Mexico and out of the United States," Fields said at a daylong investor conference in Dearborn.

The news sparked a fresh round of criticism of Ford from Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump, who was campaigning in Flint on Wednesday.

"We shouldn?t allow it to happen. They?ll make their cars, they?ll employ thousands of people, not from this country, and they?ll sell their car across the border," Trump said during his visit. "When we send our jobs out of Michigan, we?re also sending our tax base."

The impact on Ford's U.S. employment will be minimal in the near-term. Ford already builds the Fiesta subcompact and the Fusion mid-size sedan in Mexico. There is an expectation that Ford will build a new Ranger mid-size pickup truck in Wayne and possibly a new Bronco compact sport-utility.

The automaker also still will make the Ford Mustang at its plant in Flat Rock, Michigan and will begin making the full-size Lincoln Continental there later this year. It also makes the full-size Ford Taurus in Chicago.

Ford isn't the first automaker to move small car production out of the U.S. Mexico has become an auto production Mecca for new industry investment, surpassing Canada in annual automotive production.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said earlier this year it will end production of all cars in the U.S. by the end of this year as it discontinues production of the Dodge Dart in Belvidere, Ill., and the Chrysler 200 in Sterling Heights, Mich.

Fields' announcement wasn't much of a surprise. Ford said in April it would invest $1.6 billion to build a new plant in Mexico and create 2,800 jobs so it can build small cars there. Ford also said in 2015 that it planned to move production of its Ford Focus and C-Max hybrids cars from a plant in Wayne, Mich., to another country by 2018.

It's an ironic twist for the Wayne because Ford spent $550 million in 2010 to convert the aging plant from a big SUV factory to one that could build the efficient Focus compact car.

The industry has known for decades that domestic manufacturers struggle to make a profit on small cars in the U.S.

In recent years, automakers that include General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota and Volkswagen have announced plans to either expand existing plants or build new ones in Mexico. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles also has said it is considering an expansion of its production there.

The number of auto jobs in Mexico reached 675,000 last year, a 40% increase from 2008. U.S. auto jobs increased 15% over the same period to more than 900,000, according to the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

In addition to the North American Free Trade Agreement, automakers are also drawn to Mexico because of its lower wages, trade agreements with 44 other countries, a robust rail and shipping infrastructure and a workforce that has proven it can make high-quality cars.

Ford's decision to shift the assembly of small cars to Mexico can reduce costs to a point. But some of these cars are over-engineered.

For example, Fields said the current Ford Focus can be ordered in 300 different configurations of options and colors. Ford wants to reduce that to 30, which will make the production process simpler and less expensive.

Americans prefer larger vehicles, especially pickups and higher-riding SUVs and crossover vehicles for their personal use.

UAW President Dennis Williams also has repeatedly blasted Ford and other automakers for investing so much money in Mexico.

There is no reason, mathematically, to go ahead and run to countries like Mexico, Thailand and Taiwan, Williams said earlier this year. "We all recognize there is a huge problem in Mexico. So we have to address it as a nation. The UAW cannot do it alone. We are not naive."

Unifor, the Canadian union that represents autoworkers, also is struggling to hold on to its automotive industry. It is currently in negotiations with the Detroit Three over a contract that expires on Monday. Unifor is worried that three plants could close in the coming years if automakers refuse to commit to new investments.

Ford has said it continues to invest heavily in its U.S. plants and isn't cutting jobs here. Last fall, the automaker made a commitment to invest $9 billion in U.S. plants and create or retains more than 8,500 jobs as part of a new four-year contract with the UAW. Of that, $4.8 billion goes to 11 facilities in Michigan.

Ford is reassessing much of its business to prepare for a future when it needs to make cars for new modes of transport, to generate money from shared use, all without jeopardizing profits still generated by many of its cars and trucks.

The future of smaller cars in the U.S. may depend on the ability to electrify their powertrains and introduce them to ride-sharing fleets where they can generate revenue from fares paid by multiple riders.

Along those lines, Fields and other Ford executives Wednesday outlined an aggressive plan to invest $4.5 billion over the next four years in new battery-powered models in such segments as commercial vehicles, trucks, SUVs and performance vehicles.

Ford also reiterated its commitment to developing an autonomous vehicle by 2021 for use in a ride-hailing service. The company believes that autonomous vehicles could account for up to 20% of vehicle sales by 2030.

Investors didn't reward Ford or other U.S. automakers when they posted record profits last year and early this year. Now that U.S. sales are leveling off Wall Street is even less enthusiastic about the sector. Ford shares have fallen 12% from the beginning of the year from $14.09 to Tuesday's closing price of $12.38.

Fields spent the first half of his 45-minute presentation assuring analysts that Ford's core business remains strong, especially in its most profitable segments such as full-size pickup trucks, commercial vans and its resurgent Lincoln luxury brand.

But he also said the company must respond to a global shift away from personal vehicle ownership to one in which personal ownership will be challenged by on-demand shared mobility.

In exploring how a traditional manufacturer can profit in a market where the vehicle becomes a service platform, Fields said the first question he and fellow executives had to define is "What?s our point of view on autonomy?"

Apparently Fields never owned a late-1990s to early-2000s VW product built in Mexico - and has forgotten that the automatic in his own Fiesta is garbage and pulling down the model (and Ford's) reliability numbers.

This sucks, I really like the Focus hatchback, but I'm not in a position to get one any time soon.

Bad decision by Ford IMHO. I live just 30 minutes down the road from the plant where Ford makes the Fiesta, and ever since it started to be produced here in Mexico their reliability has been crap, especially compared to the Spanish and German made versions we used to get. I've got friends here who are professional mechanics, and they will openly tell you to avoid the new Fiesta at all costs, due to reliability problems, i.e. they are always breaking down! So much for having "proven to build a quality product"!

I agree 100%. I bought a new Focus SE hatch in 2013. It's been an excellent car; returning 30+ MPG city, 38-40 highway and 33+ overall for 35,000 miles. The only problem I've had was the front seal in the transmission and Ford did everything except serve me champagne while they were replacing it. They even replaced the clutch pack because they were worried that some of the transmission fluid might have gotten on the discs. The first thing the service writer did was offer me a rent-a-car while they had the Focus, but I declined because I have quite a few cars and didn't feel that I needed to take advantage of them for no real reason.

I've owned about as many cars that were built in other countries as I have 'American' cars. I also don't like having ANYTHING on my windows... but... I left the little "Made in Michigan" decal on the left-rear trailing side window, just because I was proud of Ford for keeping Focus production in the U.S.

Disappointed.
SL

Edit: Just for the record, we bought a new 2010 Focus for my wife in late 2009. It has about 55,000 miles on it and has NEVER been back to the dealer since we purchased it. It's reliability was the reason we bought the 2013 when my Forester was totaled.

Last edited:
My last car (that I actually drove) was a 2003 SVT Focus. It was built in Mexico. The build quality seemed to be as good as anything else I've owned from Ford or otherwise. It had less creaks and rattles at 120k than my Frontier had at 20k.

Bad decision by Ford IMHO. I live just 30 minutes down the road from the plant where Ford makes the Fiesta, and ever since it started to be produced here in Mexico their reliability has been crap, especially compared to the Spanish and German made versions we used to get. I've got friends here who are professional mechanics, and they will openly tell you to avoid the new Fiesta at all costs, due to reliability problems, i.e. they are always breaking down! So much for having "proven to build a quality product"!

Could be worse - moving it to Mexico will mean the UAW can't screw it up like they did when the first-gen Focus was assembled here. The UAW managed to make a reliable world car into the most recalled car in American history.

Being made in Mexico doesn't automatically = poor fit and finish. I've driven a certain "cutesy" FCA product made in Mexico that had appalling fit and finish. The current car I'm driving is tight as a drum yet also is made in Mexico.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...rd-shiftng-us-car-production-mexico/90355146/

Apparently Fields never owned a late-1990s to early-2000s VW product built in Mexico - and has forgotten that the automatic in his own Fiesta is garbage and pulling down the model (and Ford's) reliability numbers.

This sucks, I really like the Focus hatchback, but I'm not in a position to get one any time soon.

Is that reliability due to Mexican manufacturing, or a shit design? Is the exact same tranny made elsewhere with better results?

Good riddance Ford. Ford last 3 or so years have really tested my fanboyism for this company as well as me being a stock holder. Huge mistake to move any vehicle to be built in Mexico. I love Mexico minus government/cartels and they do make some fantastic things like furniture and art/decor. But vehicles? Maybe not..?

I agree 100%. I bought a new Focus SE hatch in 2013. It's been an excellent car; returning 30+ MPG city, 38-40 highway and 33+ overall for 35,000 miles. The only problem I've had was the front seal in the transmission and Ford did everything except serve me champagne while they were replacing it. They even replaced the clutch pack because they were worried that some of the transmission fluid might have gotten on the discs. The first thing the service writer did was offer me a rent-a-car while they had the Focus, but I declined because I have quite a few cars and didn't feel that I needed to take advantage of them for no real reason.

I've owned about as many cars that were built in other countries as I have 'American' cars. I also don't like having ANYTHING on my windows... but... I left the little "Made in Michigan" decal on the left-rear trailing side window, just because I was proud of Ford for keeping Focus production in the U.S.

Disappointed.
SL

Edit: Just for the record, we bought a new 2010 Focus for my wife in late 2009. It has about 55,000 miles on it and has NEVER been back to the dealer since we purchased it. It's reliability was the reason we bought the 2013 when my Forester was totaled.

FYI, my 2013 Focus was a piece of shit and I don't miss trading it in after 14 months. That was my 4th and final Focus...and my worst. My 2005 and 2007 were made in Mexico and weren't actually all that bad so I feel fortunate. One was even an ex-rental car. LOL

My last car (that I actually drove) was a 2003 SVT Focus. It was built in Mexico. The build quality seemed to be as good as anything else I've owned from Ford or otherwise. It had less creaks and rattles at 120k than my Frontier had at 20k.

You may remember I also had a 2003 SVT Focus (5dr). My build quality for everything except the horrible build quality & design Getrag 6spd was great. The interior was brilliantly solid and never made so much of a creak or squeak in its ~75k miles before I traded it. If the trans repair bills and some shoddy repair work from the previous owner's accident wasn't such a nightmare I would of kept it and even today I miss him. The days where everything worked was bliss, I never had a car handle so well. I could take corners at ludicrous speeds... Makes me want to buy another one and swap out the trans for a bullet-proof 5spd as a toy car. The wife won't approve though, she hated the repair bills even with my Ford employee discount on parts so she has a negative opinion of it. :D Though she did learn to drive a manual in that car.

Last edited:
Ford moving small car production to Mexico

We've sent some techs to Mexico and its shitty. Water in natural gas lines is one the major problems we've seen.

How can a third world country be better?

How can a third world country be better?

Well if you have an adequately educated and well motivated workforce you can build high quality choochers anywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah but if your infrastructure is garbage, how is it better besides a cheaper labor rate?

Yeah but if your infrastructure is garbage, how is it better besides a cheaper labor rate?

Perhaps you need to see what one of Ford's 'third world' plants looks like. Here's the one in Brazil.

Such a plant is NOT possible in the US any more.

Makes no sense why anyone would oppose supplier integration, least of all a union interested in keeping the company profitable. How on earth is US manufacturing plants still alive without supplier integration? That's been the norm since forever. I have experience from Volvo Cars and from the point the order comes from Volvo the suppliers must fulfill delivery within four hours. So naturally all suppliers set up shop as close as they possibly can to Volvos plant, and their staff work same hours as Volvo. Johnson Controls (seats) and IAC (dashboards, door cards and interior trim (ask me about air vents)) are just outside of the fence at Torslanda. The bumper guys (Plastal) are down the road. Now if you build a completely new plant from scratch and can fit the suppliers inside the plant (like Ford in the video) then that's even better. Of course here regardless of where you work it's the same union ("IF Metall"), basically the same pay and benefits (Volvo always gets slightly better simply because their club is the largest) and everyone are interested in keeping the factory running at full steam 24 hours a day so everyone gets paid.

Question: Do American (UAW) auto plants have contractors in assembly to cope with increase/decrease in demands? I've understood it's hard to let UAW'ers go?

Last edited:
Makes no sense why anyone would oppose supplier integration, least of all a union interested in keeping the company profitable. How on earth is US manufacturing plants still alive without supplier integration? That's been the norm since forever. I have experience from Volvo Cars and from the point the order comes from Volvo the suppliers must fulfill delivery within four hours. So naturally all suppliers set up shop as close as they possibly can to Volvos plant, and their staff work same hours as Volvo. Johnson Controls (seats) and IAC (dashboards, door cards and interior trim (ask me about air vents)) are just outside of the fence at Torslanda. The bumper guys (Plastal) are down the road. Now if you build a completely new plant from scratch and can fit the suppliers inside the plant (like Ford in the video) then that's even better. Of course here regardless of where you work it's the same union ("IF Metall"), basically the same pay and benefits (Volvo always gets slightly better simply because their club is the largest) and everyone are interested in keeping the factory running at full steam 24 hours a day so everyone gets paid.

Question: Do American (UAW) auto plants have contractors in assembly to cope with increase/decrease in demands? I've understood it's hard to let UAW'ers go?

Irrelevant as long as they get all they want on the short term.

Well yes, my post is based on reasonable cooperation between all parties, I am assuming people are interested in keeping their jobs. Obviously there are the odd examples where that haven't been the case.

Last edited:
Faurceia is near the Louisville ford plant(s). They make dash panels for escap? and GM cars.

I demand to know everything!

A surprising amount of work goes into making air vents. I never thought about them until I found myself at the air vent blade inspection line. You need to check each one on both sides so there are no marks or paint drips. Then you need to place them carefully on the little foam pad in a certain pattern so they don't rub on each other. I didn't assemble them but they put the parts in a complicated jig thing that aligns them into the thingy and do stuff. Someone had to come up with the design of that too.

It's not a bad gig if you can set your brain to robot mode. And obviously you rotate so you don't spend all day with the vent blades. You get to do other things too, like checking there are no marks or paint drips and the print alignment on the window control switches are OK (then place them carefully on the little foam pad in a certain pattern so they don't rub) or tape the foam padding on the door card armrests. Put them in a box in a certain pattern, don't mind if they rub. They'll be covered with other stuff.

Also, keep the hell away from the flocking room. It was obvious that stuff wasn't healthy. Sure robots did the actual flocking of the parts (for instance a glove compartment) behind plastic enclosures but humans fed the robots the parts, and everything in that room was covered in flock. Nope nope.

Last edited:
Flock Worker's Lung? Sounds nasty, and the name doesn't give it that, you are going to die early feel. Maybe it should be Flocked Up Lung?

Also, face masks for the win.