Ford Recalls Trucks Because Gas Tanks Can Fall Off

GRtak

Forum Addict
http://www.insideline.com/ford/ford-recalls-11-million-trucks-because-gas-tanks-can-fall-off.html

Ford Recalls 1.1 Million Trucks Because Gas Tanks Can Fall Off

Just the Facts: ?Ford is recalling 1.1 million pickup trucks, including the 1997-2004 Ford F-150, 1997-'99 F-250 and 2002-'03 Lincoln Blackwood, because the gas tanks can fall off and cause fires, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
?The flaw has been blamed for eight fires and one injury, Ford told Inside Line.
?The recall is expected to begin on September 12.

WASHINGTON ? Ford is recalling 1.1 million pickup trucks, including the 1997-2004 Ford F-150, 1997-'99 F-250 and 2002-'03 Lincoln Blackwood, because the gas tanks can fall off and cause fires, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"We are aware of eight incidents alleging sparks or fires, three of which led to vehicle fires and one injury," wrote Wes Sherwood, a Ford spokesman, in response to an e-mailed query from Inside Line on Tuesday. "The others self-extinguished or were put (out) by onlookers."

The recall affects trucks sold in cold-weather states.

"Prolonged exposure to road de-icing chemicals may cause severe corrosion of the fuel tank straps which secure the tank to the vehicle," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "As a result of the corrosion, one or both straps may fail, allowing the fuel lines to separate from the tank, or in some cases, causing the tank to contact the ground.

"Either scenario may result in a fuel leak presenting a fire hazard."

The trucks were sold or are now registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.

Ford and Lincoln dealers will have the fuel tank straps replaced with straps that have increased corrosion protection. NHTSA says if replacement straps are not available, dealers may install a cable support under the strap as an interim repair or place a steel reinforcement over the existing strap as a permanent repair.

The recall is expected to begin on September 12. Owners can contact Ford at (866) 436-7332.

Inside Line says: If you own one of the aforementioned Ford or Lincoln pickup trucks, be aware that a recall is in the works.

What is it with Ford, gas tanks and fire?

Pffrt.....I had bits falling off my Ford Truck all the time before it was cool :p

Ford 'FlameThrower'

So a truck that is at best almost eight years old sold in cold, harsh climates is susceptible to some possible deterioration. Mind you, that's only eight trucks for every 1.1 million sold, or less than 0.001% which is a pretty good failure rate in anyone's books!

So a truck that is at best almost eight years old sold in cold, harsh climates is susceptible to some possible deterioration. Mind you, that's only eight trucks for every 1.1 million sold, or less than 0.001% which is a pretty good failure rate in anyone's books!

True, but nobody wants another debacle like the Toyota pedal recall. I'm wondering, too, if these 8 trucks were particularly used trucks, if the owners took care of them, or if they looked like hell to begin with.

How often do petrol tanks fall off vehicles? It's must be significant enough event to warrant recalling.

Meh...it's one of those "shit happens" things. Every car has a certain recall. Volvo had a similar thing with the 850 - they recalled millions because of gas tank leaks. Mine had the problem, took it to Volvo and they put a brand new tank...on a 16-year-old car. :)

I doubt this is going to hurt Ford's reputation or sales in any way.

How often do petrol tanks fall off vehicles? It's must be significant enough event to warrant recalling.

My guess is that it's something that has started happening recently (as this fault is going to happen a lot more frequently in the near future) because it takes prolonged exposure to the deicers to corrode the straps. It may be something that is only applicable to a few areas as well, but Ford really doesn't want to look like the bad guy in this situation.

This happened to a co-workers husbands F-150 about six months ago. I wonder if they'll get back what they had to pay to fix the problem.

Not suprising to see this happen where I live but in places where it takes more than five minutes for a truck to rust out I can't see it being so common.

After having two transmissions disintegrate on a '95 Windstar, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Straps is never a good idea, better to secure it from the top where the fastening is secured from weather influence. The tanks are, unless Ford is medieval, completely corrosion proof (plastic) after all.

Straps is never a good idea, better to secure it from the top where the fastening is secured from weather influence. The tanks are, unless Ford is medieval, completely corrosion proof (plastic) after all.

Psst, many Euro vehicles that carry their fuel tanks externally hold them in with... straps. Keep in mind that when we say "straps" we're talking about metal bands or struts that are as much as 10mm thick.

Also, having to remove/replace non-strapped external tanks is an enormous pain in the arse because invariably the fasteners have rusted in place and you CANNOT use a torch to break them free. By the way, this is often step one for replacing the fuel pump or strainer in many cars, so you can't say that this is something that's never going to be done either.

So, no, straps aren't as bad an idea as you seem to think they are.

Last edited:
Psst, many Euro vehicles that carry their fuel tanks externally hold them in with... straps. Keep in mind that when we say "straps" we're talking about metal bands or struts that are as much as 10mm thick.

Also, having to remove/replace non-strapped external tanks is an enormous pain in the arse because invariably the fasteners have rusted in place and you CANNOT use a torch to break them free. By the way, this is often step one for replacing the fuel pump or strainer in many cars, so you can't say that this isn't something that's never going to be done either.

So, no, straps aren't as bad an idea as you seem to think they are.
Yeah I think straps is a misleading term, it's not like we are talking velcro here.

Bogstandard truck dieseltank, these can go up to 800 liters on long haulers (meaning when full they weigh as much as half a large car), pretty sure the Americans have even bigger ones on their rigs, they are all held in with : straps.

fuel_tanks_scania_300l.gif

Last edited: