Ford reports nearly 1 Billion dollar profit

Well done Ford ... I?ve always said they just needed a bit of a push and they?ll be fine while GM was and still is beyond saving ...

GM-failed-lifeboat.jpg

Ford, the only Detroit automaker to dodge direct government aid and bankruptcy court [...]

I see what they did there! :shifty:

Nice, it seems fairly obvious that buyers have more confidence in Ford than the other two. I wonder if they've picked up any marketshare from the Japanese?

Ford seem to have a pretty decent lineup too (although the Focus is aging a bit).

I still can't beleive that GM and Chrysler have their heads so far up their asses that they can't see what ford is doing and say to themselves, "perhaps we should try something similar"

Are they just not wanting to put in the effort? or are they really that dense?

Yes it seems so - many years of trying to fix the NA market instead of building better more relevant cars has led to this me thinks - Ford do really seem to have got the message.

Go Ford! Horray for self-consciousness!

Good for Ford. Now all they need is a Mustang with the EcoBoost engine, a 6 speed and IRS ...

Are they just not wanting to put in the effort? or are they really that dense?
Chrysler was screwed no matter what; but GM is definitely that dense. Rattner, the former "car czar", said that even by Detroit's low standards GM's management style and finances were the most fucked thing he'd ever seen. And he was working for the US government.

Also, GM has still not given up their rhetoric of "WE BUILD THE BEST CARS IN THE WORLD". Really? Even Mercedes managed to swallow their pride and beg customers to come back. I'm sure that the GM execs think that they can turn out a few new cars, keep talking about hybrids, and things will eventually go back to normal. Then they can go back to blaming everyone else for their problems.

Also, GM has still not given up their rhetoric of "WE BUILD THE BEST CARS IN THE WORLD". Really? Even Mercedes managed to swallow their pride and beg customers to come back. I'm sure that the GM execs think that they can turn out a few new cars, keep talking about hybrids, and things will eventually go back to normal. Then they can go back to blaming everyone else for their problems.

Sad really. I do like GM, I just wish there was some way to get some competent management in there.

Lutz is probably the most competent person they have, but he isn't a turnaround guy. If you look at the cars he helped bring into the world, none of them are really the top sellers GM needs: BMW 3 series, Ford Sierra, Viper, Solstice, etc...

Unless they find a Ghosn they will just languish under government control until the plug is pulled.