Autoblog: Ford shows off Police Interceptor Stealth concept ahead of SEMA debut

nsx_23

Forum Addict
I like it.

In addition to the raft of Mustangs and F-150s that Ford will be debuting at this year's SEMA show, this special Police Interceptor Stealth concept will be on display in Las Vegas this week. Ford designer Melvin Betancourt took inspiration from the SR-71 stealth airplane used in the 1950s and 1960s to create a Taurus-based Police Interceptor that manages to be flashy yet still able to fly under the radar.

Compared to a standard Police Interceptor sedan, the Stealth concept is lowered by one inch and rides on sinister 22-inch wheels. The rest of the car has been blacked out as much as possible ? smoked taillamps, tinted windows and black trim all around the car make for a package that, as Betancourt says, gives the illusion of "there, but not there." Hit the jump to read the full details, and scroll through our high-res image gallery to see the concept for yourself.

pistealthcncpt12.jpg

pistealthcncpt11hr.jpg

pistealthcncpt13hr.jpg

pistealthcncpt01hr.jpg

pistealthcncpt02hr.jpg

fordpistealthcncpt05hr.jpg

pistealthcncpt03hr.jpg

pistealthcncpt04hr.jpg

fordpistealthcncpt06hr.jpg

Agreed. Heck I wouldn't mind having a Taurus (SHO of course) that looks like that.

Love the blacked-out look. I wouldn't mind if the wheels looked more like steelies, but that's just a minor detail.

may they be hugely successful and be purchased in the millions so that in 6 years hundreds of thousands will be available used for short money.

Looks badass, sure, but don't you want your stealth car to look, well, stealthy?

Guess they'll have to start selling blacked out regular Tauruses.

Last edited:
Love the blacked-out look. I wouldn't mind if the wheels looked more like steelies, but that's just a minor detail.

Yeah, aren't big alloys bad for cop cars, because they bend easily?

The whole thing, as has been pointed out above, is brilliant as a show car, but completely useless as an unmarked vehicle cause all the blackness... stands out.

meanwhile in Europe......

1295637211_606f9acb51.jpg

*sigh*

If you live in an area that has quite a few customized cars, it wouldn't stand out one bit.

Yeah, then you can hand it over to a young hotshot cop and send him undercover to join a group of street racers who also are suspected of armed robbery.

dude, if you don't like it here, you can always leave. i'm sure they have it a lot better in redneck country, you and your stupid ram won't be missed!
we're better on every fucking level, so stop complaining!!!

Especially your government!

Yeah, then you can hand it over to a young hotshot cop and send him undercover to join a group of street racers who also are suspected of armed robbery.

But if the leader of the street racers has a hot sister, you'd better keep an eye on said young cop.

The car looks magnificent - is it fit for purpose i.e. Stealthy Police Interceptor?

I think not, stands out way too much.