Ford Taurus ST to arrive early next year

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
http://img137.imageshack.**/img137/4862/fordtaurusbbc36fagv3.jpg
For the last few weeks, the internet has been abuzz with rumors about the possible return of a performance-oriented Ford Taurus for the 2010 model year, when the large sedan will receive a major redesign. So, is a hotter version of the 2010 Taurus really coming?

SHO enough.

First things first. You may not actually see the return of the "SHO" nameplate. Sources indicate to us that Ford may very well take a cue from across the pond and adorn the sedan with an "ST" badge.

The regular 2010 Taurus that Alan Mulally said they "should have made originally," is confirmed to debut at NAIAS 2009 and on sale a few months later. We feel pretty confident that the ST model will also debut in Detroit. However with NAIAS more than half a year away, things could certainly change. We wouldn't be shocked to see the ST model held over to debut at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show.

When the ST does debut, it's going to be packing Ford's new 3.5-liter, twin turbo, V6 motor. Previously known as the "Twin Force" motor, Ford has now re-branded it with the much more sedate "EcoBoost" name. Even with its less aggressive name, this forced-induction V6 will be tuned to produce 350 horsepower. This will put the Taurus in a heated battle with Chrysler's 340hp 300C, and will far exceed Chevy's 303hp Impala SS, if falling a little short of the Pontiac G8 GT's 361hp. We've been told to expect a zero to 60 time in the low-to-mid 6-second range.

Suspension-wise, the ST will feature a sport tuned version of Ford's new SR1 (Shock Ratio 1) suspension. The SR1 setup is a new independent rear suspension that will debut on Lincoln's MKS. Inside sources tell us not to expect huge hood scoops and massive spoilers. Rather, the ST will continue its role as a "sleeper," rolling on 20s and sporting a few moderate chrome accents in the front and rear fascia.

At the factory, Ford will be hoping for a return to the cult following that the SHO enjoyed in the '90s. Roughly 12-15% of the 2010 Tauruses that come down the production line will wear ST badges.

The last major nugget we hear about the ST concerns the drive wheels. If you're like us, 350hp to the front wheels sounds like a supremely bad idea. We're talking Crystal Pepsi bad. Instead of having you spin your tires through first and second gear, the ST looks ready to come with an AWD setup only. If not, we anticipate a fresh hole in the ozone layer solely from Taurus ST tire smoke.

Look for the Taurus ST to be available by next summer.

Words by Chris Doane.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-taurus-st.html#more-7531

I am liking this, especially the sleeper aspect of it.

Taurus ST just doesn't sound quite right. I personally like the SHO name better. It'll be intersting to see if Ford will muck up the new Taurus.

Go Ford, about time they get back into making something half way interesting. Though I wonder if the timing is a bit bad with people going ape shit over gas prices and all.

Go Ford, about time they get back into making something half way interesting. Though I wonder if the timing is a bit bad with people going ape shit over gas prices and all.

That seems to be messing with the sales of trucks and larger SUVs more than anything else. For those kind of people this car will get great gas mileage.

Super High Output!

1810xmpl.jpg

Way freaking cooler than the wimpy "ST".
limpwrist.gif

That seems to be messing with the sales of trucks and larger SUVs more than anything else. For those kind of people this car will get great gas mileage.

It won't get great gas mileage. The Taurus itself is a pretty car. Along with a big V6 and two turbos attached to it, I doubt that it'll be more economical than the current Taurus. Sure it'll have more power, but I don't really think it'll be more economical than say a Modular 4.6 V8 on the highway (maybe a bit in the city, look at the G8 V6 compared to the V8).

It won't get great gas mileage. The Taurus itself is a pretty car. Along with a big V6 and two turbos attached to it, I doubt that it'll be more economical than the current Taurus. Sure it'll have more power, but I don't really think it'll be more economical than say a Modular 4.6 V8 on the highway (maybe a bit in the city, look at the G8 V6 compared to the V8).

I have a 4.6 SOHC V8 in my truck, there isn't very much bottom end grunt, so the mileage isn't that great. The pontiac G8's V8 gets such good mileage because it has so much torque that you can drive around at 900 rpm all day long.

Also, what if they put turbos on the old Yamaha V6 from the old SHO? :drool:

Ford is specifically engineering their "ecoboost" V6 to provide the power of the mod motor while getting much better bottom end torque and superior fuel economy. They've already announced claims that in testing they provide the same fuel economy as the n/a v6 with a nice bump in power.

Compared to a truck or large SUV it will, that was my point.

That really isn't aiming very high now is it. I still think a V8 with cylinder deactivation will get similar economy. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if the eco-boost can match the economy of a normal V6.

That really isn't aiming very high now is it. I still think a V8 with cylinder deactivation will get similar economy. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if the eco-boost can match the economy of a normal V6.

^Cylinder deactivation doesn't really work, you know. I won't bore you to death, by explaining it. Basically, the most efficient way is to have the power low down and cruise at the lowest revs possible.

Chrysler claims 15% gain, but you're still dealing with all the friction. Something people don't seem to realize is that a turbo is essentially displacement on demand, except it is far more efficient.

Chrysler claims 15% gain, but you're still dealing with all the friction. Something people don't seem to realize is that a turbo is essentially displacement on demand, except it is far more efficient.

What they claim and what you actually get, is another matter. I've talked to other people who deal with racing engines, they all say it doesn't work.

What they claim and what you actually get, is another matter. I've talked to other people who deal with racing engines, they all say it doesn't work.
It's really hard to stay out of spool range with a turbo. Considering that ecoboost is a twin turbo setup that has a very tiny boost threshold I don't think it would be all that easy to stay out of boost :) It would require either a very intellegent automatic transmission or someone REALLY good with a stick.

It's really hard to stay out of spool range with a turbo. Considering that ecoboost is a twin turbo setup that has a very tiny boost threshold I don't think it would be all that easy to stay out of boost :) It would require either a very intellegent automatic transmission or someone REALLY good with a stick.

A turbo or supercharger is still better than effectively shutting off half an engine, you don't get problems with friction or vibration. When you think of it, the idea is silly.

If a car needs a certain amount of power to go a given speed, the most efficient way is the simplest, use the lowest revs possible. For example, say you need 15hp to go 50mph, a V8 at 1,200rpm is more efficient than a smaller I4 at 2,000rpm. That's what happens with cylinder deactivation, it's just marketing nonsense.

They really need to work at reducing weight. Extra weight ruins everything.

Apparently Ford is also going to produce a small "EcoBoost" I4.

Apparently Ford is also going to produce a small "EcoBoost" I4.

That was announced before the v6. It's going to be the base engine in many of their SUV's (like it is in the Mazda CX7). It's essentially the MZR DISI engine from the CX-7.

IIRC Ford is expecting to build 500,000 of these particular engines A YEAR world wide when they fill the range with this engine. Which makes us junkyard hunters happy people :thumbsup:

A turbo or supercharger is still better than effectively shutting off half an engine, you don't get problems with friction or vibration. When you think of it, the idea is silly.

Yep. A belt driven blower can have the clutch disengaged, and as I said before, the turbo just won't produce boost. The added benefit is the engine can run with more throttle, reducing pumping losses, and improving combustion.