Forget the Veyron. Test the Mach 5!

STrRedWolf

Car(s)
Looking for one.
Road and Track review the Racer Motors Mach 5. And yes, the same one in the cartoons, made real for the up-coming live-action movie Speed Racer.

Put your doubting hats on, here's the specs (more details in the article):
Motor: 8.0L quad-sequential turbocharged V12
Horsepower: 1700 bph @ 8000 RPM
Torque: 1400 lb-ft @ 5500 RPM
Gearbox:
0 - 60 MPH: 0.6 secs
0 - 100 MPH: 1.0 secs
Top Speed: 305 MPH
1/4 mile: 2.7 secs @ 197.1 MPH
Lateral Grip: 6.0g

Color me curious but I think they need to get the Mach 5 onto the Top Gear test track and see if the Stig can top the charts with it.

Special thanks to Warner Bros. Studios for supplying the car; Yokohama Tire Co. for their support arranging the photo shoot; Willow Run Airport for renting us a hangar, and Polyphony Digital Inc. for creating a virtual simulation of the Mach 5 that we used for our performance tests.

1/4mile in 2.7sec my arse.

Never understood why anybody would overinflate their stats like that. I mean its funny when the Russians do it, but otherwise its just annoying.

Never understood why anybody would overinflate their stats like that. I mean its funny when the Russians do it, but otherwise its just annoying.

Not to make you feel bad or anything, but from the actual review:

...I decided to do the unthinkable: steal it. Without warning, I flung the car around and sped toward the exit. The door was closed so I activated the saws. As if expecting this to happen, Hobart and his crew drew out AK-47s and started firing as they jumped into their own souped-up machines. The bullets bounced off the Mach 5's body like hard raindrops, and a race to the border ensued... This last part, and much of everything else, is a re-creation of what may happen in a Speed Racer episode and the upcoming movie. As for driving a real Mach 5, I'll just have to keep pretending.

It's okay, we all make mistakes sometimes :mrgreen:

Edit: I love how thorough the reviewers were in acting like this was real. They even did a full-on technical spec sheet. http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0408_rt_mach5_chart.pdf

Last edited:
Was that a comedy website or anything? Because the address looked pretty standard, can anyone fill me in on this? When they started about those rediclous statistics I knew it was a fake because those would kill a man not to mention the fact that it's open topped. Also, assuming this was real, then don't looks count for anything? The Veyron looks far nicer and cooler than that old fashioned machine. I'm still in a state of confusion over what the article was, it isn't april the first or anything so what the hell is going on?

Lol, D-Fence. Can't +1 you atm, but still...

Was that a comedy website or anything? Because the address looked pretty standard, can anyone fill me in on this? When they started about those rediclous statistics I knew it was a fake because those would kill a man not to mention the fact that it's open topped. Also, assuming this was real, then don't looks count for anything? The Veyron looks far nicer and cooler than that old fashioned machine. I'm still in a state of confusion over what the article was, it isn't april the first or anything so what the hell is going on?

It's a real (popular) magazine, it's a real website, it's a real car (kinda), it's a real article. The review / performance stats were fake. Read the article.

On a serious note, I wonder what the real specs of this thing are. They probably only have a small block V8 or something in it sadly I bet. :(

Once again the main point of the Veyron goes unnoticed. The Veyron has as many toys as an S-Class or 7er but also happens to be epically fast. But it's a luxury car... I don't give a damn if some dragster made in someone's back yard can beat it.

Yeah I read the article,couldn't quite work out L.O.L. Thanks for the props ;)

Shawn said:
Once again the main point of the Veyron goes unnoticed. The Veyron has as many toys as an S-Class or 7er but also happens to be epically fast. But it's a luxury car... I don't give a damn if some dragster made in someone's back yard can beat it.

And the looks! Don't forget the looks!