Formula SAE (student formula)

Anyone attending the FSAE West competition right now? I'm here with the UCSD team, look for the ugly ass yellow shirts. Unfortunately we didn't finish our car this year (but only just), so we are just mostly just walking around and looking at the different cars.

New car for the 2010 season. TU Munich
I am the 2nd guy bottom left.
Poster2.jpg

Anyone attending the FSAE West competition right now? I'm here with the UCSD team, look for the ugly ass yellow shirts. Unfortunately we didn't finish our car this year (but only just), so we are just mostly just walking around and looking at the different cars.

I'm at West right now, drop by the University of Calgary pit and say hi! I'm Trevor.

Hmm lemme guess...you are the guy with the tophat in your group picture?

Nice, you guys have a sweet looking and lightweight vehicle (if the event guide numbers are correct). Hope you guys are getting used to (or enjoying?) the vastly different weather here than you probably see up north.

Best of luck at the events tomorrow.

Hmm lemme guess...you are the guy with the tophat in your group picture?

Nice, you guys have a sweet looking and lightweight vehicle (if the event guide numbers are correct). Hope you guys are getting used to (or enjoying?) the vastly different weather here than you probably see up north.

Best of luck at the events tomorrow.

Yessir, that's me in the fedora. Car's kinda running like shit but we took 7th in accel so hopefully things will finish up OK but I'm not holding my breath for finishing endurance.

Yes, the GPR car is crazy. I do like your combined push-bar/rear wing design though. How did you guys do in AutoX?

Yo, I heard you dropped by the pit, sorry I was away! AutoX was OK but we were having throttle response issues and came like 27th or something. Dunno if we won the best pushbar award, we buggered off to go karting at K1 Speed before our 4 guys went to Optimum G. We wrote off 4 karts in 2 hours. One of them landed on me and my left side is just wrecked. :lol:

Scarily, it's now 2 years since I finished Uni. I competed at FSUK and FSG 2007 and 2008. 2008 was our teams most successful year in it's 11 year history and it was probably the most fun I had in my 4 years involved in the team. Amazingly, very little went wrong at either comp....the only regret being later that we realised we could have gone much much quicker at the UK event. As it was (having not finished an endurance and scored in 8 years!) we nursed the thing round at fairly average pace!

This was me driving our car at FSG 08:

4e737a67c6.jpg

Since last year, I've decided to help give something back, so am now a judge and will be again at FSUK in a few weeks. It really makes you appreciate the hard work everyone puts in, and it's fascinating to see how beautifully engineered many of the cars are.

I now race in club motorsport here in the UK in a Caterham, and it really highlights just how professional FSAE/FS/FSG is. You don't realise when your doing it, but it probably shares more in common with F1 than national motorsport! It really is incredible that a load of students organise themselves to be there and organise some amazing engineering.

Anyone at FSUK come and say hi. Just look for my name on my badge....Mike Hart.

last years car:

IMG_8271_resized1200_%236_WWU_ps.jpg

3682058188_a3c172056b_o.jpg

This years (which I guess is actually last years since it already competed):

2823r.jpg

2823l.jpg

After two weeks of holidays spent counting every fracking bolt in the workshop, cadding random bits and pieces and generally being everyone's bitch I get to do fun stuff next week :D materials testing, ho!

(our comp isn't until december hence the not having finished the car yet)

I saw one of these in my (former) university of Coimbra here in Portugal..
I have to say, they look like caricatures! :D
But I bet they're a blast to drive, and a good project to get some extra practical knowledge (aka fun).

HELL YEAH, TUFAST IS CLASS 1 WINNER IN FSUK!!!!

Only thing that sucks is that I didn't participate in FSUK as I need to cram for some important exams next week.
I nearly regret that decision now. I sure bet my team is having the time of their life right now.
Ah well, I guess I have to party when I go and help unload the truck when it comes back.

Hockenheim is next month so see you there. Here's hoping for some great results there as well.

Has anyone done, or know anyone who has done, FSAE-related work/research in graduate school?

I'm looking to be more involved with FSAE than in the past (now that the bug has bitten, so to speak), but I've only been heavily involved up to about year or so ago and can still by and large by counted as a newb/work-monkey, and I got the general vibe that FSAE was largely an undertaking done in undergrad (altho I could be wrong). I'm looking into doing some research at the uni I just got my B.S. in ME for the summer, and hoping to turn that into a graduate school opportunity. However, I'd like to tie/correlate that into FSAE-related work as much as possible, as our school isn't huge on automotive-related areas, altho FSAE can be seen as a broad conglomeration of a broad spectrum of specialities anyways.

Anyone know any research topics/projects that grad schools have done that have been tied to FSAE, either directly or indirectly? Examples and/or even papers would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've just discovered that my university has a Formula Student team... and I was just wondering: I'm studying Computer Science/Automation at the moment, is there any hope for me to be part of the team if there's a possibility? :| I'm speaking in terms of general fields of expertise, there has to be something related to electronics which would fit my field of study.

Find out where on your campus they hang out, go over there and simply ask.
I know that my uni's team includes economics people, mech engineers and electrical engineers at least, so the spectrum is relatively broad.
Depending on what exactly your course deals with it's very much possible that you could be of some use. And I think as long as it's not one of the huge teams (Munich, Stuttgart etc.) they're probably grateful for every helping hand they can get.

Last edited:
At our uni, there was an abundance of Mechanical engineers, so they will most likely welcome any electrical help they can get :)

I've just discovered that my university has a Formula Student team... and I was just wondering: I'm studying Computer Science/Automation at the moment, is there any hope for me to be part of the team if there's a possibility? :| I'm speaking in terms of general fields of expertise, there has to be something related to electronics which would fit my field of study.

Hells to the yes. I'm thinking Data Acquisition or other electrical systems.

A formula SAE team can always do with more electros.

Coming third in the UK is pretty cool too :p