Formula SAE (student formula)

I've just discovered that my university has a Formula Student team... and I was just wondering: I'm studying Computer Science/Automation at the moment, is there any hope for me to be part of the team if there's a possibility? :| I'm speaking in terms of general fields of expertise, there has to be something related to electronics which would fit my field of study.

You could help setup some servo/pneumatic powered paddle shifters, or help out with a traction control system. I'm sure they'll find something for you to do.

University of Toronto has FSAE. As does McMaster, Western, Waterloo, and Windsor. However out of those I don't know how many actually go to the competitions. I don't know about York and the other universities in Toronto. Also, Queen's isn't really southern Ontario but they're worth a mention since they've got a really good car.

The UofT Shootout at Mosport is next weekend. Is anyone here going to be there?

I've just joined the FSAE team Clear River Racing at Karlstad University, Sweden. I've never done anything that has anything to do with engines, mechanics, or engineering*, but the team seems really nice and welcoming, and I've been told I'll learn all about that as I go along, so yeah. I've a feeling this is going to be an awesome year, and the main event for us is at Silverstone, and just going there is a whole lot of awesomeness in itself.

Also, this is the incentive I needed to get a driver's licence, 'cos I won't get to drive the car unless I have that. Hmm. I live in the rally capital of Sweden, and I am of Finnish blood. Learning to drive - how hard can it be?

*Things I've studied/am studying: Art, design, creative writing, comics, music, English. I could be a Top Gear presenter, me. :p

RMIT Racing's at the Top Gear Live Melbourne event right now...they've set up a little track with about 120 cars doing hot laps. It's really a good track for FSAE cars because it's pretty tight and twisty. We've been getting times in the top three all weekend ahead of the usual Fezza/Lambo/Porsche crowd, which is a nice feeling :)

196611_10150103674647797_685622796_6869568_434984_n.jpg

188385_10150104981132797_685622796_6880427_6477551_n.jpg

Stefan Millard is our little pocket rocket/resident frodo.

That's pretty cool. I'm continuing with the team again this year with Adelaide Uni. Though it's going to be tough.. being in 4th year with an FYP and so many projects. And I've been tasked to redesign the steering gearbox that just broke outright during our last endurance stint.

In what aspects can one get involved in Student Formula if you're studying electronical engineering?

Just go talk to the guys at your school. There's probably tonnes of stuff to do, like ECU/engine management, data acquisition, etc. We don't have any electrical guys on our team but I assume it would be helpful for an electrical engineering major to set up a good data acquisition system.

Yeah, there's plenty to do - most of the team here is Mechanical. There was only one Electrical guy - tasked with building the entire system. We could have used a few more!

Can't wait until I get into our program, which is at another campus. I think we made one of the lightest cars ever (Penn State)?

In what aspects can one get involved in Student Formula if you're studying electronical engineering?

Definitely Data Acquisition, ECU and what Ferrari_Freak said. Wish we had a decent electron on our team...our loom is a complete POS. We have an electrical team too and they don't even have an electrical engineering student on their team and god knows they could use one...so maybe you should move to Melbourne and come to RMIT :)

ETA: Just read Penn State's FSAE website and it does seem like they've entered the lightest car ever, 285lbs/129kgs...that's a seriously light car! I think our lightest has been something like 150 or so kgs.

Last edited:
Yeah they had a really light car last year too. I was at the Michigan competition last year and unfortunately they didn't finish endurance because their exhaust fell off or something, don't remember exactly. Hopefully they'll do better this year.

That's pretty cool. I'm continuing with the team again this year with Adelaide Uni. Though it's going to be tough.. being in 4th year with an FYP and so many projects. And I've been tasked to redesign the steering gearbox that just broke outright during our last endurance stint.

Be prepared to kiss goodbye to any notion of sleep for the year. It'll be worth it though.

Plenty. There's always a need for people to wire up the electrical systems (Engine management, data-logger, etc).

ETA: Just read Penn State's FSAE website and it does seem like they've entered the lightest car ever, 285lbs/129kgs...that's a seriously light car! I think our lightest has been something like 150 or so kgs.

Hooooleeee shit. That's impressive.

Our car is coming along pretty well, chassis will be completed next week but we're playing the waiting game on a lot of materials and machine work. Our machine shop was given the drawings and 150lbs of aluminum plate on Tuesday for our uprights, diff mount should be out of the shop next week, etc. etc. Anybody else here going to Cali this year?

Our car is coming along pretty well, chassis will be completed next week but we're playing the waiting game on a lot of materials and machine work. Our machine shop was given the drawings and 150lbs of aluminum plate on Tuesday for our uprights, diff mount should be out of the shop next week, etc. etc. Anybody else here going to Cali this year?

Sweet! Love it when shit finally starts coming together. Unfortunately we won't be taking last year's car o/seas this year because we barely got it running. This year hopefully we'll kick ass though. Anyone using the Standard Impact Attenuator design this year? I've had a look and unfortunately it doesn't fit our car, so I've been tasked with designing a new one.

Be prepared to kiss goodbye to any notion of sleep for the year. It'll be worth it though.
Aye. But I'm usually pretty good with time management, so I think I'll do ok.

As for the weight, we posted a car around 250kg with driver and juice, which is pretty average. The electric cars were around 360kg, which is seriously heavy.

zephyrus17, I'm wearing the t-shirt of your avatar right now!

further to nsx_23s comment, try not to be in a relationship, because FSAE will kill it. Mine just ended because of it...so far this week I've spent nearly 50 hours doing FSAE stuff, and it's only Friday...