Formula SAE (student formula)

Sad that there is so minimal live updates possible from the teams due to no internet connection at the event site.

Design Finals are online! Looks crazy with all the European teams in the final!
http://www.fsaeonline.com/

2012 FSAE Michigan Design Finalists Announced
10-May-2012 23:00 Eastern Time

These are the design finalists in car number order:

#001 Oregon State Univ
#002 Technical Univ of Munich
#003 Universitat Stuttgart
#004 Graz Univ of Technology
#005 Univ of Wisconsin - Madison
#011 Ecole De Technologie Superieure
#014 Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
#049 Friedrich Alexander Univ of Erlang
#094 Rochester Institute of Technology
#118 Metropolia University of Applied Science

Design winners Karlsruhe, GFR, Stuttgart

Hopefully all results will be published soon.

Our team members say they don't even have a timing board for the spectators there... :(

Michigan was a great success for the European teams! :thumbup:

Just don't get why the European teams got so beaten in the Cost Report.

Well I know for a fact that my team will be doing aero for the first time this year. Let's just say I'm excited! :D

That?s the spirit of formula student!
I?m just weary of the subject because there is discussion of my team doing it for the next car. I believe we don?t have the resources. But anyway the RP12c was my last car, time to move on to the real world I guess...

Was there someone on FG who took a previous car and put a Logitech G25 into it and turned it into a simulator? Can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, I'm in charge of taking a two-year-old chassis and making it a simulator in a similar fashion. If said person is on here let me know, I'd like to pick their brain for a few minutes.

Our school's car from last year was crazy terrible. The senior design teams were bad and didn't really care, and the fact that all their suspension geometry numbers were correct, but in the bass-ackward direction (positive camber, backwards ackerman, backwards caster, etc.). Supposedly this year's team wants to test it, but no one actually wants to drive the car it's so terrible.

I think you're thinking about the FSAE forums that's where I saw the simulator. They used Live for Speed.

I think you're thinking about the FSAE forums that's where I saw the simulator. They used Live for Speed.

Thanks for the reply, that's probably it as I remember they used Live for Speed for the software. Will search that forum now.

Years ago my team did something similar but I never saw the simulator working and I'm there now over 2 years. ;)

We used aero designed with cfd simulations but still I'm not sure if it's what we needed.

We're using CFD and a scale model.

We also have some other things that are going to be very beneficial to our design that most teams don't have. Won't tell what it is though.

Last edited:
Really happy with the progress this years car has made. It'll surprise a lot of people once it's done :)

It's a club organization at my school. Depending on your school's engineering department you may or may not get some financial backing in our case we've been running totally off sponsorship dollars. My suggestion would be to gather a group of friends/ people interested and go to your school's admin and go from there. The hardest part from what I've heard is getting the team started, and setting certain targets that are reasonable for a new team. Good luck :)

Bump how are the cars going? Our car is 97.479% as our suspension lead put it. Mainly just finishing touches to the car, and fixing problems that occurred during testing. Our big unveil is next Thursday so excited be sure to check our Facebook page out to see photos of the car when we relieve it! Thanks for the support!