Forum members royally pissed after Hot Rod Magazine's "Corvette Hack"

So they're removing weight from the car to see if it goes faster? Isn't this more of a no-shit-sherlock sort of thing?

Too see HOW much faster it will go. Similar in fashion that they and SCC did years go by trimming off some weight and doing a pass, trim off more, do another pass, rinse and repeat.

Removing many parts would make it faster, but at high speeds removing panels and making it an aerodynamic nightmare would make it right down scary to drive...

Too see HOW much faster it will go. Similar in fashion that they and SCC did years go by trimming off some weight and doing a pass, trim off more, do another pass, rinse and repeat.

And that is useful information how...? Would you do the same thing and ruin either of your cars for that extra bit of speed? I think it's a bit pointless when you start removing vital parts of the car. It's one thing to strip the interior, trunk, remove the spare tire/tools, etc and see how fast it goes then. But tearing the car apart until there is nothing left but an engine, chassis, and steering wheel? It would no longer be street legal and I seriously doubt any race track would allow you to drive it due to well placed safety concerns. It's all pretty pointless in the end. And they're not even the first to do it.

And that is useful information how...? Would you do the same thing and ruin either of your cars for that extra bit of speed? I think it's a bit pointless when you start removing vital parts of the car. It's one thing to strip the interior, trunk, remove the spare tire/tools, etc and see how fast it goes then. But tearing the car apart until there is nothing left but an engine, chassis, and steering wheel? It would no longer be street legal and I seriously doubt any race track would allow you to drive it due to well placed safety concerns. It's all pretty pointless in the end. And they're not even the first to do it.
Actually, they ultimately were the first to do it. SCC did it after they did.

And it's not a pointless exercise. It's not the most practical exercise, but it's a humorous exercise. It's watching sanctioned destruction of a shitty car in the name of making it fast.

I must be confused about the timeline for these things. I remember the Sentra one from years ago, did C&D do this before?

Ohh, I thought this was a Car&Driver article. I'm all messed up. I'll shut up now. :p

Actually, they ultimately were the first to do it. SCC did it after they did.

And it's not a pointless exercise. It's not the most practical exercise, but it's a humorous exercise. It's watching sanctioned destruction of a shitty car in the name of making it fast.

I see practicality in it. As it does give people a rough idea of how much you can gain from shaving weight. And as a lot of very heavy modern cars have shown, for straight line speed it seems as though a few extra ponies is a lot better than trying to cut out 10 more pounds.

I was checking out the latest issue of Hot Rod today with the actual Vette Hack article in it. There is a small spot at the beginning of the magazine where they talk about the Internet Backlash to their viral video with a bunch of quotes from different sources on the net including this specific thread. I will see if i can get pics or scans but the quotes i remember mentioned are:

That said, I might subscribe to Hot Rod Magazine as a thank you for getting another one off the road.

Good lord, the eight people that frequent the C4 part of that forum sure are angry.

The C4 is the only car named after its preferred manner of destruction.

Way to go guys you are all mildly famous

Fuck we're 1337.

I went to B&N to take a look at the mag, and it doesn't seem like its the Oct 10 issue. I assume its the Nov 10 issue thats been sent to subscribers and not on the stands yet.

I was quoted for something I said on the internet? Its not in print... is that 1337 or just sad? :)

Last edited:
I went to B&N to take a look at the mag, and it doesn't seem like its the Oct 10 issue. I assume its the Nov 10 issue thats been sent to subscribers and not on the stands yet.

I was quoted for something I said on the internet? Its not in print... is that 1337 or just sad? :)

It's definitely the November issue has a cool looking rat rod pickup on the cover. The quotes can be found on Page 10 sadly my cousin's scanner is out of commission so i can't get a scan.

also i checked it out again today to be sure i got everyone and i missed one

Its last three laps were no doubt infinitely more glorious than the sum total of the bottom 99% of all C4 Vettes.

At 4 quotes i think we are just as well represented as Vetterforums and Jalopnik. Now the real question is finalgear sufficiently high on google search that they googled "vette hack" or something and found our site or are Hot Rod staffers secretly lurking on here?

Haha, that's awesome!

I thought the same thing :lol:

And I am totally buying a copy next newsstand I stumble by. This sort of "fuck the fangirls" attitude must be encouraged.