Forum members royally pissed after Hot Rod Magazine's "Corvette Hack"

Maybe, but you don't see people moaning and threatening to riot over the XJ40 and it's widely acknowledged as the worst of the lot.

Maybe, but you don't see people moaning and threatening to riot over the XJ40 and it's widely acknowledged as the worst of the lot.

Granted, but they've still got the Jag cool about them, even if they're not very good. C4s sort of don't have that.

^
Actually didnt the C4 have the greatest pop-up headlights ever? They spun 270 degrees?

For those of us who remember the 80's, the C4 (even the early one) was very, very cool in its day. Also, the 85 was FAR from the worst vette ever. The worst vette, ironically, was the best selling vette of all time, the 1975, with an earth-shattering 165hp! But then again, you have to realize that this was the heart of the dark ages of cars, and with a 0-60 time of 7.7sec it was still one of the quickest cars available at that time.

The vette got a lot better in '91. I never thought that it should have still been called a C4, since there were at least as many differences between those cars as there are the C5-C6. I'm not a vette fan by any means, I just want to put my 2 cents out there that there are far worse vettes than the 85.

You cant compare the two. Nobody cares because nobody cares, plain and simple :)

For those of us who remember the 80's, the C4 (even the early one) was very, very cool in its day. Also, the 85 was FAR from the worst vette ever. The worst vette, ironically, was the best selling vette of all time, the 1975, with an earth-shattering 165hp! But then again, you have to realize that this was the heart of the dark ages of cars, and with a 0-60 time of 7.7sec it was still one of the quickest cars available at that time.
<anorak>
I wouldn't say '75 was the worst year. The base L48 did only have 165hp, but that was only because apparently Chevy didn't know how to cope with adding a catalytic converter, and it still had the C3 style to make up for the lack of higher-end power.

My dad drove an '86 Corvette from new to 160,000 miles in 6 years with nothing but regular maintenance. I have nothing against it.

I'm not about to go flaming the magazine, though, it's a cool experiment.

EDIT: there was nothing wrong with it when he sold it, either, except that it didn't have a back seat.

I don't like cars being destroyed at all really, it's a bit sad when TV shows and the such take it upon themselves to wreck cars that were perfectly good.

I've seen several cars i'd not mind having get smooshed on Mythbusters, like the Legacy they threw off a cliff, or the C4 they stunk up.
but such is life, I ain't gonna start an outrage, i still like Mythbusters, just seems unnessesary to me to do that.

Also, i like the C4, but then again... i have an odd taste in cars :p

I don't like cars being destroyed at all really, it's a bit sad when TV shows and the such take it upon themselves to wreck cars that were perfectly good.

I've seen several cars i'd not mind having get smooshed on Mythbusters, like the Legacy they threw off a cliff, or the C4 they stunk up.
but such is life, I ain't gonna start an outrage, i still like Mythbusters, just seems unnessesary to me to do that.

Also, i like the C4, but then again... i have an odd taste in cars :p

Plus this could have been done much more professionally with a socket set and some beers. I have nothing against ruining a ruined corvette for some extra speed, but cutting it up and throwing wrenches at the doors is just immature. Corvette parts are not cheap, and someone could have used those fenders/doors/windows/window motors/switches/wheels/gauges/dashpad (on and on)

Yea yea, chevy fanboy, i would honestly say the same thing about a honda accord. I dont think the C4 vette has some kind of bald eagle endangered protected status (other than the harbinger of the holy almighty LT1 engine), there are plenty more where that one came from. This is stupid, but not because its a 'vette.

Last edited:
i just saw this and decided to read the Vette forum. i have always had this hatred for corvette people that goes back a long way. ill say, im not at all surprised, this is just proof that they seem to think they are driving the greatest thing ever invented. its just another american muscle car. i love my Mustang, but, if i saw someone doing this to a mustang (unless it was an old GT500 KR and im sure most of you can agree with me on that) i would be laughing. just sad that someone would cancel because of that. it kinda reminds me of some of the reviews TG gets on here every week! lol, sad.

I think the big issue here is that the car was damaged to begin with. There might've been some salvageable parts, but there are a kazillion of the things out there that would probably have a better piece that hadn't been cracked/submerged/etc./etc. It's not exactly a rare car.

I have a huuuuuuuge soft spot for 'Vettes (albeit less so the uglier C4, but I can see the appeal), but I still stand by my "nothing of value was lost" on this. The Corvette forum guys are just being overly butthurt.

Looks like a fun project, even if the same thing's kinda been done before.

Last edited:
It might have made a nice Lemon (which is an honorable death) - but with a trashed interior it never would have made it under the budget limit, or some wanker's wet dream restomod (which is a fate worse than death) - as far as ways for a car to go out, this one isn't that bad. Its last three laps were no doubt infinitely more glorious than the sum total of the bottom 99% of all C4 Vettes.

Last edited:
Looks like to me the car mythbusters destroyed was way better condition really. That test was rather depressing as they took a perfectly good car and made it into something that was so smelly you could barely use it for scraps. That's a sad thing to do to anything better than like... a saturn.

Funny you should bring Mythbusters up actually. What does this look like to you?

mythbusters17.jpg

Did anyone shed a tear?

Edit: Apparently a few did: Oh the humanity!

I was kind of annoyed about that, it looked like it was in pretty good condition. And of all the cars they could have stuffed a dead pig in, why a Corvette in the first place? :dunno:

Granted, that was the first episode of Mythbusters I ever saw. The fact that I still love the show may say more about my opinion of C4s instead.

IIRC, they chose a Corvette because in the original myth, it was a Corvette.

One thing I did like about the C4 was the engine bay access. A lot like an E-Type.

In essence, the most talented designer on the team was given the hood. It's a quality hood.