Forum Suggestions / Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much. Can't see an error on my end either. It's not in the spam folder and other mail is coming through just fine.
Yeah, I think it's because we moved to a new server. I'll be poking at it tonight or tomorrow.

I'm starting to really hate the way the forum tacks "edited by..." on seemingly every post where I make the tiniest little minor edit. IMO there should be at least 30 mins time to make additions / correct typos without the post getting all cluttered.

There already is a window in which you can edit your post without having that show up. :)

However I purposefully set it to only 2 minutes. The purpose of the edit button is to fix spelling mistakes, etc. If you want to make changes after those 2 minutes, you really should be making a new post instead of editing your existing post. Someone else may have replied by then, read your post, etc.

In short, it's how it is right now in purpose. :)

Yeah, I think it's because we moved to a new server. I'll be poking at it tonight or tomorrow.

OK, I fixed things (I hope). Let me know if problems persist.
There already is a window in which you can edit your post without having that show up. :)

However I purposefully set it to only 2 minutes. The purpose of the edit button is to fix spelling mistakes, etc. If you want to make changes after those 2 minutes, you really should be making a new post instead of editing your existing post. Someone else may have replied by then, read your post, etc.
Yeah, I know it's on purpose. I happen to often think of something else I want to add before anyone has replied but after 2 minutes have elapsed, so the "edited by..." thing shows up, but I just ignore it. No big deal.

but then you get hit on the head for double posting... :|

but then you get hit on the head for double posting... :|

I think double posting is fine as long as it's been a while (in time) since your previous post. People may have read your previous post and if you were to edit it, they wouldn't see the changes.

I think like an hour or so is fine.

Is the DST Correction setting working? I have the Time Zone setting set to GMT+1, and "DST Correction" set to "Automatically detect" but this post will be dated shortly after 17:30 according to what I see, when it's a little after 16:30.

Last edited:
E-Mail notifications for subscribed threads and PMs stopped working for me sometime during monday.

OK, I fixed things (I hope). Let me know if problems persist.

Since the server move I haven't received my usual email notifications. 'Twas fine during Monday, but nothing since about 9pm GMT Monday.

Since the server move I haven't received my usual email notifications. 'Twas fine during Monday, but nothing since about 9pm GMT Monday.

OK, it should be fixed for real now.

[nerdy explanation]
Turns out I had the wrong nameserver specified in the /etc/resolv.conf, which meant that the DNS name of our mailserver was resolving to its external IP, instead of its internal one. It's set up to reject forwarding mail from the external address (otherwise it would be a so-called open relay, and probably be exploited to send spam), which meant the webserver's mail was getting rejected too. Now that our internal nameserver is in use, it resolves the mx to the internal IP, which allows relaying mail.
[/nerdy explanation]

OK, it should be fixed for real now.
Thank you! I'll let you know if I still have problems.

[nerdy explanation]
Turns out I had the wrong nameserver specified in the /etc/resolv.conf, which meant that the DNS name of our mailserver was resolving to its external IP, instead of its internal one. It's set up to reject forwarding mail from the external address (otherwise it would be a so-called open relay, and probably be exploited to send spam), which meant the webserver's mail was getting rejected too. Now that our internal nameserver is in use, it resolves the mx to the internal IP, which allows relaying mail.
[/nerdy explanation]
:blink: Okaaaaaaaay!

Well, mine was working fine up until last night.

Well, mine was working fine up until last night.

Yes, last night I "fixed" it, which actually made it worse. I re-fixed it this morning properly.

hehehe

It's working now, so once again, a million thanks.

We need a shooting-yourself-in-the-head emoticon for when the funny picture thread gets derailed by talk of historic keyboards or mathematics.

Last edited:
The parsing error when people use certain emoticons still exists.

Is anybody else having trouble loading Finalgear on their phone? Everytime I try and load the forum I just get a blank page in stock Android browser and Firefox. Something tells me its to do with me using the mobile version of the site (maybe a preference file or something) but I've tried deleting all data and that didn't solve the issue.

I had it happen to me too, with the stock browser, DolphinHD and Firefox.

The main page loads fine, but if I click the Forums link or just write "http://forums.finalgear.com" on the address bar, it loads and gives a blank page. :dunno:

Ah, I haven?t tried that.

You'll get an invalid redirect error after you log in, but just hit a link and it works.

I said that quite a while ago, but I still can't access a thread from an email notification message on a mobile device (iPhone or Android), it just redirects me to the forum's main page. I tried the stock brother and Dolphin on Android with the same results.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one to access the forum from a phone, what do you guys do to make it work?

I said that quite a while ago, but I still can't access a thread from an email notification message on a mobile device (iPhone or Android), it just redirects me to the forum's main page. I tried the stock brother and Dolphin on Android with the same results.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one to access the forum from a phone, what do you guys do to make it work?

Yep, it's crap :(. Turn off the mobile theme and I think it will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.