Forum Suggestions / Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, that's new. :lmao:
36zaAqh.png

Armedcats won't be coming back functionality wise. The code behind the scenes refuses to operate on any current/supported versions of PHP. I've asked for years if anyone wants to take over the project and had no responses. It will run read-only and serve the images best possible, cached via cloudflare. If you want a copy of your uploads, PM me and I'll make a zip file.

Armedcats won't be coming back functionality wise. The code behind the scenes refuses to operate on any current/supported versions of PHP. I've asked for years if anyone wants to take over the project and had no responses. It will run read-only and serve the images best possible, cached via cloudflare. If you want a copy of your uploads, PM me and I'll make a zip file.

Frankly with sites like Imgur and stuff out there, I'd argue it's not worth the trouble of running an image host. It's awesome that you're still serving existing images so we don't get broken ones, but outside of that...

We could enable attachments here, but I'm not sure what DreamHost's storage limits are like.

EDIT: Oh! Maybe the ability to upload attachments could be one of the donor perks!

Loose_Unit has set up imgear.eu.

Minor one - we used to have an auto-thumbnail thingy that would show reduced-size images with a click-for-original function for when watermelon-sized images got posted. Any way to get that back?

Also, go-to-latest-post button beside thread titles would be great to have again.

This post needs more hyphens

Frankly with sites like Imgur and stuff out there, I'd argue it's not worth the trouble of running an image host. It's awesome that you're still serving existing images so we don't get broken ones, but outside of that...

We could enable attachments here, but I'm not sure what DreamHost's storage limits are like.

EDIT: Oh! Maybe the ability to upload attachments could be one of the donor perks!
Yeah, I strongly dislike having twelve years of uploaded images and history disappearing forever (we started in 2007 when photobucket was a pile of trash, and imageshack banned the forums from hotlinking. Now they went ahead and deleted everything... and we are still serving the old content. Not 100% reliably, but it's all still there.)

No storage limits on DH, so go right ahead and enable upload/attachments. Most people will opt to external providers.

Not a forum issue, per se, but affecting the forum for me so I figured I'll ask for help here since I've exhausted my personal IT knowledge and Googlefu. Can't open the forum on either of my laptops, or either of my phones when connected to my home wifi. Forum works fine on my phones when on the cell netwok, and works fine on my laptop when tethered to my phone. Also works fine when I get on the local Xfinity Wifi Hotspot. Can't find a single other website affected. I've cleared the cookies and cache on my laptop, reset my router and modem. Getting consistent connection time outs.

Xgcvb97.png

When I run a tracert, it seems to get to the forum just fine

f09NQxe.png

So I'm out of ideas as to why suddenly, the forum, and only the forum doesn't work on my home network.

Does it work in any other browser? And just to verify, my personal blog works, right? I think it uses the same-ish security settings. https://alex.blog/

Does it work in any other browser? And just to verify, my personal blog works, right? I think it uses the same-ish security settings. https://alex.blog/

Your blog works in both Chrome and IE. FG doesn’t in either. It has to be something with my hardware since it works on my phone and on the hotspot, I just can’t for the life of me think of what it would be. For reference, I have Xfinity so if it was their problem, it theoretically wouldn’t work on the hotspot either, but it does.

Maybe I’ll just use this as a sign that I should go to sleep, put my phone down, and unplug my router for the night.

Last edited:
Only thing I can suggest is to ditch Comcast's crappy DNS server and use Google's instead:

However that doesn't explain why you can tracert to the forums. Weird.

Only thing I can suggest is to ditch Comcast's crappy DNS server and use Google's instead:

However that doesn't explain why you can tracert to the forums. Weird.

It just started working again...... weird. Who knows what gremlin or ghosts in the machine inhabited my router. As far as DNS servers go, I've been using OpenDNS for years. Don't remember why I switched from Google at this point, but IIRC there was a good reason.

EDIT: And its gone again. Going to take that cue to go to sleep and see whats going on in the morning.

Last edited:
It just started working again...... weird. Who knows what gremlin or ghosts in the machine inhabited my router. As far as DNS servers go, I've been using OpenDNS for years. Don't remember why I switched from Google at this point, but IIRC there was a good reason.

EDIT: And its gone again. Going to take that cue to go to sleep and see whats going on in the morning.

I'm not a fan of OpenDNS as they do weird stuff when an entry can't be found or they try to stop malicious sites or something. I'd rather have unfiltered results and rely on my browser to block stuff.

Forgot to check FG at home this morning, but got a new error at work

1V3ceBB.jpg

Still works fine on my phone, and insterestingly enough works fine on my work phone on work wifi..... probably should do work instead of FG....

EDIT: And its back. Interesting thing is that this time tracert and nslookup didn't work. The jury is still out on if FG will work when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
I’m getting this too, on every device. It’s very hit and miss. It’s almost as if I’m being blocked for a certain amount of time after some event.

Status
Not open for further replies.