Forum Suggestions/Issues

Just tried again but in the Random Thoughts automotive thread, same issue. Always with a photo.

1681635328809.jpeg

What's more odd is, after I delete a photo, then try "Ctrl + V" I get a photo of the Twingo with a backpack from @lip's thread from when I posted there sometime last week or before that? But if I try and do the same key command, say in Telegram, the screenshot I just took shows up.

Just tried again but in the Random Thoughts automotive thread, same issue. Always with a photo.

View attachment 3568924

What's more odd is, after I delete a photo, then try "Ctrl + V" I get a photo of the Twingo with a backpack from @lip's thread from when I posted there sometime last week or before that? But if I try and do the same key command, say in Telegram, the screenshot I just took shows up.
Might be a browser cache issue- try clearing it and post again.

Might be a browser cache issue- try clearing it and post again.

Yeah, that seems to have been the case, it's all good now. As I was posting in my Mercedes thread, I was getting double photos of what I embedded. How I upload photos is this, open Windows Explorer, find photo, ctrl-c, then ctrl-v into the post body. Photo starts uploading, but not before immediately showing the photo, the actual photo is uploading and pasting below it, I delete the first one as I feel like there's no way the first one is an actual photo and I use the one the forum uploads and embeds.

Horrible screenshot for reference:

1683020266387.png

Sometime next Tuesday August 29th, the hosting provider will be migrating the web-server to a new system. Was going to take place this past Tuesday, but for some reason it was delayed. Anyway, things may go down for a bit.
I've increased the SQL allocations so maybe the database issues will disappear?

I'd love for the forum to become invite-only and all bots/searches blocked.

But that's me.

I'd love for the forum to become invite-only and all bots/searches blocked.

But that's me.

It basically is, @thomas approves and denies people who join. The bots sometimes are able to answer the questions that are supposed to deter bots though.

It's publically readable - and that's fine.
It does mean that bots can scrape the forums, though.

We could make the meeting subforum private (accessible only for logged in users), and put the meeting photo threads (which are traditionally in the photography subforum) in there as well.

Yeah, many of us have been here for... uh. Okay, I feel old.

Point is there's a lot of info to doxx members here with such long histories. The Post Your Car section alone would be more than enough.

For some reason I thought the PYC section wasn't visible to the public. Maybe that was correct at one point. :hmm:

Edit: I think, if possible, it would be best for the PYC and Meetup sections to be only visible to logged in users. I've found my own pictures on Google Images from PYC threads before. It's not really a problem - I deliberately remove EXIF data from all images and host them myself so I could pull the plug if necessary, but if we can improve our security it would probably be worth doing.

Last edited:
For some reason I thought the PYC section wasn't visible to the public. Maybe that was correct at one point. :hmm:

Edit: I think, if possible, it would be best for the PYC and Meetup sections to be only visible to logged in users. I've found my own pictures on Google Images from PYC threads before. It's not really a problem - I deliberately remove EXIF data from all images and host them myself so I could pull the plug if necessary, but if we can improve our security it would probably be worth doing.
As a note, some of the PYC threads have been a resource in the past for attracting new members.

If there's demand to privatize/reduce visibility on any sections/content, I'd recommend starting a poll to see which direction it goes.

Sometime next Tuesday August 29th, the hosting provider will be migrating the web-server to a new system. Was going to take place this past Tuesday, but for some reason it was delayed. Anyway, things may go down for a bit.
I've increased the SQL allocations so maybe the database issues will disappear?
Server migrations are complete. Let me know if the page loading speeds up, slows down, or the errors finally disappear.

Images seem to load slowly or not at all.

1693522534205.png

At around 23:20 GMT. :(

I'm not sure how long it was unavailable for as I got distracted.

View attachment 3570249
At around 23:20 GMT. :(

I'm not sure how long it was unavailable for as I got distracted.
I think that was during the automated database backups.. I may have the host disable them because they keep setting table locks during that time, and our own automated backups don't do that.

Double posting cause it's cool.
DNS records and email/smtp stuff has been updated, so if anyone starts getting email summaries and notifications again, that's good news. Also enabled the auto-unsubscribe features that modern clients support, so one-click unsubscribe and whatever should work now.

Last edited: