Forum Suggestions/Issues

Search is temporarily disabled. Need to migrate the forums to another host because the current host platform decided "your database is now magically too big and you need to pay us 3x more or move elsewhere".

Did a bit of database cleanup work and optimization.. search still disabled.

For how long will the search be disabled?

Xenforo introduced "progressive web application" support, which is a fancy way of saying "we added more shit to break". You may have noticed random "page could not be loaded" errors; I've added some additional scripting to auto reload the pages in the event it occurs. The server doesn't show any errors, so troubleshooting it may take a while.

Xenforo introduced "progressive web application" support, which is a fancy way of saying "we added more shit to break". You may have noticed random "page could not be loaded" errors; I've added some additional scripting to auto reload the pages in the event it occurs. The server doesn't show any errors, so troubleshooting it may take a while.

I'm noticing every post gives me an "oops, we ran into a problem," but the bullshit I post still shows up as posted, so the warning is more like a confirmation.

I'm noticing every post gives me an "oops, we ran into a problem," but the bullshit I post still shows up as posted, so the warning is more like a confirmation.
lol same. If I try to post again after getting this message, it double-posts:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 1.43.36 AM.png

Anyone else not seeing new posts showing up on the alerts bell up top?

Yeah, me too. The post you made that comes up in error shows up as if you weren't the one posting.

I'm rolling the PHP version back, should resolve the PUSH error. As for the not-loading pages, I'll keep digging into it.

Any idea for how much longer the search function will stay disabled?
Quite a while, I had to purge the database search tables. If there is something specific content wise you are looking for, you can append "site:forums.finalgear.com" to most search engines.

Quite a while, I had to purge the database search tables. If there is something specific content wise you are looking for, you can append "site:forums.finalgear.com" to most search engines.
Well, alrighty. I hope the What's That Song section will remain intact as I still use it to this day. I'll try that other search method for the time being, thanks!

Using your favourite web search engine this way works better than most sites' own search function.

Not having search within the forums is becoming difficult.

[blunt]

I'd like the search function to come back. I get it, life gets in the way and that's totally fair. It's not like this forum is as active as it was years ago.

[/blunt]

I've forgotten it wasn't working a couple of times recently, and couldn't find it, then remembered reading this thread.

Not having search within the forums is becoming difficult.

[blunt]

I'd like the search function to come back. I get it, life gets in the way and that's totally fair. It's not like this forum is as active as it was years ago.

[/blunt]
Just got back in town, but the TLDR:
To re-enable search, I need to migrate the forums hosting and rebuild the databases. It's a big move, and would result in 4x the hosting costs per month at a minimum. I just don't have the time to handle that right now..

I've had no problems using a search engine, I've used that method for lots of other sites for years and it works pretty well. Definitely doesn't sound like it's worth a massive hosting cost increase.