Forum Suggestions/Issues

Just got back in town, but the TLDR:
To re-enable search, I need to migrate the forums hosting and rebuild the databases.
Colour me curious about the technical background on that.
If you can explain it in sufficiently little time, that is. No pressure. :)

Colour me curious about the technical background on that.
If you can explain it in sufficiently little time, that is. No pressure. :)
Our hosting platform decided to put a hard size cap on the database, and the search table by itself used twice that number. So dropping search functionality buys us some time to migrate or fix.

Our hosting platform decided to put a hard size cap on the database, and the search table by itself used twice that number. So dropping search functionality buys us some time to migrate or fix.
Today I learned a thing!

Forums will be down tomorrow, Saturday December 18th 1PM-2PM GMT for a software upgrade. Should be closer to 5 mins of downtime, but expect the unexpected.

Still working on resolving the search issue-- haven't given up on a solution.

Forums will experience an outage around 8AM GMT Tuesday morning(tomorrow)- migrating the database and rebuilding the search indexes. Search functionality will be restored a bit later in the day once the indexes are built.
Edit; Expect the forums to not load at all, display "offline", or database connection messages for several hours.

Last edited:
*Slaps the hood of the server*
This here baby's got several gigablyats of mulepower, ready to hit the road in style.

Fully migrated to the new(expensive) SQL storage platform. Search indexes are being rebuilt, with the exception of the "game" forum. Search should be re-enabled within a few hours.

1641529543362.png

dammit. :D

Is there anything I can try to get Twitter links to unfurl on my phone? It works fine in Firefox on my laptop, but Safari on the phone shows only the URLs.

Same here, Firefox on Android.

And also on Desktop Firefox, but I guess that's because I locked down cookies pretty tight on that one.

Last edited:
Same here, Firefox on Android.

And also on Desktop Firefox, but I guess that's because I locked down cookies pretty tight on that one.
Is there anything I can try to get Twitter links to unfurl on my phone? It works fine in Firefox on my laptop, but Safari on the phone shows only the URLs.
Had the same problem but on Firefox desktop/work laptop and Firefox desktop/personal laptop. It has something to do with Twitter consent. IIRC the first time twitter tries to embed on the forum it asks for permission and if you deny... URLs it is.

Twitter unfurling is pretty painful, I made some adjustments to how the code is used on the site.. give the threads a refresh and see if they appear, or if I really fucked it up.

Edit; Enhanced Tracking Protection in firefox prevents twitter embeds from loading, so you (could) add the forums to the exemptions list if you want those to load completely.

Last edited:
I demand this goes to trial.

1642531436873.png