Forums have been upgraded to vBulletin 5

https://forums.finalgear.com/privatemessage/index is all kind of janky at the moment (screencap attached).

Also, I second the calls for a theme more like the last one. The text is too small and there's too much white space. If there's a way to tweak the background to a light cream/grey by default (like the last FG Classic non-dark theme) and up the font size, my old fart eyes would love that!

Oh! "Cars" in profiles apparently cuts you off if you have too many bad ideas to list (what? I bought a VW).

Also, I miss the little page links off the forum index where I could skip right to the last page, or the last unread, or a specific page more easily. (The 1,2,3,4...Last Page dealioes.)

Looks like 500 errors are back.

Cowboy hates change...

"My Subscriptions" on the main page only ever shows two threads by RickHamilton. And apparently this is what posting links looks like now. And you only get one.

I'm thinking of leaving the like button on. It's tiny and an easy way to thumbs up a post.

We tried it once. It didn't work. IIRC there are still some people with a red "dislike" on their sigs as a parody of it.

XYZviper;n3541549 said:
Is it possible to upgrade back? :)

The old version was unsupported and insecure. We were hacked because we were using it. So no. :)

More of a question than anything else:

How does this upgrade affect the rep system? I can't see a way to +rep other users, but the "Like" button is back on the lower left corner.

I don't really care too much about the rep system, but it was a nice way of quietly rewarding high quality content and spotting contributors or trolls at a glance. I also know you have your hands full with getting everything configured again (which has to be a massive pain in the ass), so this is, at best, a low-priority question.

Last edited:
I looked into it some. Negative reputation was removed (good riddance, it was impossible to police) and giving positive reputation is done via the like button.

Viper007Bond;n3541544 said:
I'm thinking of leaving the like button on. It's tiny and an easy way to thumbs up a post.

If it was up to me I'd make it even more prominent... like next to the time stamp. Or at the bottom left of the post text area. Would be even better if a well-liked post was highlighted somehow.

Anyway, I really like a simple one-click thumbs up system.

In one important way it's different to the old rep system - it's not anonymous anymore...

Jupix;n3541562 said:
If it was up to me I'd make it even more prominent... like next to the time stamp. Or at the bottom left of the post text area. Would be even better if a well-liked post was highlighted somehow.

Anyway, I really like a simple one-click thumbs up system.

In one important way it's different to the old rep system - it's not anonymous anymore...

The old one wasn?t anonymous. You exactly who repped you, for what post, when, and the comment they left.

CrzRsn;n3541564 said:
The old one wasn?t anonymous. You exactly who repped you, for what post, when, and the comment they left.

But it was private in that only you and they could see it. This is 100% public.

Thanks Viper, PC and everybody else I might be forgetting.

RdKetchup;n3541571 said:

Thanks Viper, PC and everybody else I might be forgetting.

Back-ish. I'm not sure that uploading works yet. Still poking at it.

Still problems with the large threads in Tapatalk. No memory error now. But no posts show when I go to the longer threads.

Was adding to/editing a post in the Latest Non-Tech Purchase thread (https://forums.finalgear.com/forum/g...rchase/page619), added an incorrect link by mistake and hit save, got a message that my post had been classed as spam and was selected for moderation; it will require an administrator to okay it before it will be visible. Then it made the post vanish so I couldn't fix it. Looks like a new 'feature'.

Also, there are some non-working links to posts on the forum list. Be right back with pics of that.