Forums have been upgraded to vBulletin 5

opening a thread in a new tab is definately faster for me
browsing notifications, messages etc is as slow as before

Nabster;n3546164 said:
I had $100 in my paypal balance I forgot I had. So I just donated it all to the forum fund as well. Whatever updates/software/hosting costs we need to keep things going around here are well worth it.

Z3qpwYs.gif

bone;n3546212 said:
opening a thread in a new tab is definately faster for me
browsing notifications, messages etc is as slow as before

This. Its definitely a step in the right direction for the time until we get the new software up.

Forums seem a lot faster today, except the main page.

At Timti I feel that most bits outside the main page are quick, but then I am being pinishpu for thinking that by slow ass responses from the server regardless of where I am on the board...

thomas;n3546415 said:
At Timti I feel that most bits outside the main page are quick, but then I am being pinishpu for thinking that by slow ass responses from the server regardless of where I am on the board...

ORnR3uS.jpg

"Pinishpu" sounds like a Suomi word

I don't even.. But I notice that using autocorrect on the forums sometimes just corrects half the word, or only on the second try... Not sure why that is, and it feels recent (more recent than vb5 but not as recent as the minor update here in question).

since autocorrect is a feature of your keyboard, that makes no sense
your keyboard doesn't care if you're posting on a forum or typing a text

That's what I thought. But it seems to be an issue with the forum specifically. I can replicate it easily. And it appears to be a difference between what I see and what the text box here actually keeps. For example if I typo "type" as "tyoe", it attempts to correct it to "type", but visually the text remains "tyoe". When I start deleting letters, it randomly reverts to suddenly showing the correct word and auto correct also does no longer think there is something wrong. I have that issue exclusively here and on no other forum or app. Running Android 8, Chrome and the Google keyboard.

thomas;n3546436 said:
That's what I thought. But it seems to be an issue with the forum specifically. I can replicate it easily. And it appears to be a difference between what I see and what the text box here actually keeps. For example if I typo "type" as "tyoe", it attempts to correct it to "type", but visually the text remains "tyoe". When I start deleting letters, it randomly reverts to suddenly showing the correct word and auto correct also does no longer think there is something wrong. I have that issue exclusively here and on no other forum or app. Running Android 8, Chrome and the Google keyboard.

This is roughly when it started:

RdKetchup;n3545870 said:
SwifSwif is nownunusanow .
​​​​​​
This was "SwiftKey is now unusable" btw, started acting up on finalgear yesterday.

In my case, Google keyboard is not too bad, but swiftkey is completely unusable. Only on FinalGear, only since I wrote that post, and no changes after clearing cookies.

The keyboard does receive input from the text field. Some fields (like usernames and passwords) force no auto correct. I wonder if something similar is happening.

Der Stig;n3547095 said:
Just threw in $50 :)

Thanks!
I'm got XenForo installed locally and I'm currently importing the ~5GB database file to see how it goes as a trial run. I'm really liking and preferring XenForo so far. ?

Code:
Starting import from vBulletin 5.x (Beta)...
 - Step  1 of 26: User groups               00:00:01 [38]
 - Step  2 of 26: Custom user fields        00:00:02 [10]
 - Step  3 of 26: Users                     00:18:21 [64,531]
 - Step  4 of 26: Avatars                   00:00:00 [0]
 - Step  5 of 26: Buddy and ignore lists    00:00:18 [1,014]
 - Step  6 of 26: Paid subscriptions        00:00:00 [0]
 - Step  7 of 26: Custom BB codes           00:00:01 [12]
 - Step  8 of 26: Private messages          00:00:31 [1,989] 97.07%

Last edited:
Viper007Bond;n3547140 said:
I'm really liking and preferring XenForo so far. ?

THIS part means so much more than the progress right now to me.. the one thing I was afraid of, was suggesting something that you then spend time and money (well.. we are..) on and you just dislike it in the end.. Especially since I've only ever used it from a moderators perspecting, not full on admin.

hLapOxb.png

I'm 99% sure we're switching to it. I just need to coordinate with PacketCollison about when he wants to be around for the migration. There will be downtime while we do it but it'll be worth it.

The test import took 21 hours on my local machine but I suspect it'll be a lot faster on the live server.

Wonderful, glad there's good progress and you're happy with it.

Is there anything else where help is needed or does everything seem to be taken care of at this point?

Squeeee

Viper007Bond;n3547199 said:
hLapOxb.png

I'm 99% sure we're switching to it. I just need to coordinate with PacketCollison about when he wants to be around for the migration. There will be downtime while we do it but it'll be worth it.

The test import took 21 hours on my local machine but I suspect it'll be a lot faster on the live server.

Will there be any posts lost or will part of the downtime be another export of the database? Or is it even possible to hook into the existing one and convert that instead of first exporting, then importing?