Forza Horizon

They are making their own TDU.

Don't know how much TDU you've played but I'm easily one of the most active members in the TDU community. I've spent every day since the release of TDU in 2006 in the community. I know TDU in and out and NOTHING will ever be like TDU except TDU itself.

It's a damn shame they are shutting down the TDU servers. It would be nice if they'd hand over the server build to the community for us to keep the game alive for them but sadly, Atari won't do that.

Last edited:
Of course TDU was a great game no denying that. But if you break TDU down to its core components, the huge open world, large number of cars and handling which was arcadey but leaning towards simulation., Horizon is just that from what I have seen.

Nothing will ever be like TDU? Why not? Atari didn't use magic pixie dust to make the game, someone else could take and improve on the same formula. TDU was great but it had a couple of glaring flaws, notably the road surface.

From what we've seen so far of Horizon, TDU is the closest franchise to compare it to. Some of the NFS games might be similar as well but they don't go for any realism in the driving.

TDU2 was like TDU. It was just worse. Actually the more I think about it, it was barely tolerable.

It was a fucking slap in the face from Atari. The game was absolutely shit. A fucking joke. Then they tear apart the only two companies keeping it up, Eden and Cryptic Studios.

Gameplay and Q&A, starts around 6.30 minutes in.

I think it's safe to say from that video that we can't expect too much from the physics, though Andy may have been driving on full arcade mode. At 25:30 he gets quite a favorable bump off a wall, and I do not like the look of it. And taking a lambo onto dirt like it's asphalt? Really? I also find myself unable to take people seriously when they drive in 3rd person mode or with music blaring, but that's just me.

They seem inspired by the Dirt serious, 3 in particular. The flash of the festival, rather than the cars, seems to be taking precedence, and that really bothers me. It doesn't even look like they are taking a TDU approach, where they emphasize the combination of cars and scenery to create setting. Driving through traffic on a highway in a Lambo spyder, where you don't feel like you are the only soul in the world, I don't get that sort of feeling from that video.

But, not being able to see what kind of work Andy is needing to do with the control hampers the ability to judge how driving is.

And no Porsche again???

Last edited:
Yeah, there's a strong Dirt feel to the overlay graphics and non-gameplay camera action.

As far as the physics go, it looks like they have increased the grip levels during slides by a massive amount, which means the cars never really break traction, only four-wheel-drift around corners. From that video it's quite hard to tell since it's in third person view, though.

Don't know how much TDU you've played but I'm easily one of the most active members in the TDU community. I've spent every day since the release of TDU in 2006 in the community. I know TDU in and out and NOTHING will ever be like TDU except TDU itself.

You may be the longest active member, I doubt the most active though. Up until 2010 I was involved with the modding scene in TDU, helped organize meets and was consistently in the Top 40 world rankings.

It was time to move on though...

You are right about TDU2 - it was a slap in the face. I still see it as a beta game - something that was never finished. They promised us something bigger, better and more detailed than TDU. They spent way too much time improving a few aspects of the game and then completely neglected everything else.

Edit: Also, Colorado fuck yeah!

Last edited:
No, you're right. Hate to say it, but I'm going to pass on it for now. I'll get it when the price comes down. I can't buy into the whole "club lifestyle" aspect they have put in it.

Joystick said:
Forza Horizon demo pulls into Xbox Live October 9

Forza Horizon launches on the Xbox 360 October 23, but a few weeks before then you'll be able to get behind the wheel early with a demo on October 9. Available free to Xbox Live Gold subscribers for the first week and everyone else after, the Forza Horizon demo will feature a few missions, several of which will be Rivals mode-compatible ? you'll be able to compare demo deeds with your Xbox Live friends.

A section of Forza Horizon's sandbox map will be unlocked in the demo and all those who download then purchase the game on October 23 will get a custom 2013 SRT Viper GTS "designed to highlight Forza Horizon's 'gone-gold' status."

I'll give it a whirl just as I did with the TDU2 beta, not expecting to be blown away though.

What I'm reading is what could be expected. Toned down Forza4 physics. The stuff I'm reading has been very positive though. And I think toning it down is the way to go, I honestly don't think full on Forza4 physics would work very well in this setting. This is a game more about having fun than being challenged. I like that.

Downloading the demo right now, looking forward to trying it out :)

It's fun. Very TDU style in terms of scope and extremely Dirt-esque in terms of visuals and music. But it could very well be a great game in it's own right.

Just tried out the demo and i'm very surprised. The physics which worried me the most is pretty darn good (after you turned off all crap like TCS and ABS). They did a good job with the music, fits this game perfect. The only thing that was annoying me was that the narrators talk swedish and it is really chessy swedish aswell, i'm hope that you are able to change that in the full game.

Just tried out the demo and i'm very surprised. The physics which worried me the most is pretty darn good (after you turned off all crap like TCS and ABS). They did a good job with the music, fits this game perfect.

Exactly the same thoughts as me. I'm pretty much sold, it's beautiful. The only thing I don't like is how the AI drivers seem to constantly go around aimlessly, but that will probably change in the release.

Exactly the same thoughts as me. I'm pretty much sold, it's beautiful. The only thing I don't like is how the AI drivers seem to constantly go around aimlessly, but that will probably change in the release.

I found that the AI drivers consistently aim for the back of my car. I overtook a Renault and then pulled over and stopped to check my map. I sat there for a second, and I noticed him coming straight at me, actually turning off the road to aim for my bumper. I stayed stationary and he hit me going full speed.

I lol'd.

Game's pretty fun though.