Forza Motorsport 3

Got a 59.750 second run last night. All assists off and clutching with left bumper. Let's just say my hand hurt like hell after I was done playing.

+1 for vanilla McLaren F1.

^ How do you remap the controls?

I don't think you can remap them in the demo. I was playing with default controls. In any case, I don't know what people are complaining about. The only thing that seems different is the the damage/tire temp icon is now right on the D-pad instead of on the left bumper.

P.S. Did only 3 laps today but I somehow got it down to 59.631s. I'm going for a sub 59 but that'll have to wait after midterms. I was ranked 1,346 in the leaderboards right after I'd done that race.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/1/2994342/ShowThread.aspx

I'VE GOT THE FANATEC WHEEL - SECOND OPINION!!!
Hi guys, The Fanatec Porsche Wheel arrived today to Beta test on my door-steps. First I thought I should use the other thread to share my thoughts about the Porsche wheel but some info might get lost, so here I go...

I only testet the wheel for a few hours on Forza3 demo and Forza2.

To start with, this is a very luxury package The Porsche Fanatec Wheel, when you open it you really feel special, like you just bought a Porsche for real...they even send a screwdriver in the package

On top of the package it says: "Take a deep breath"..., next "Relax", after that "Not yet..." and "Go Go Go". This kind of gets you really in the mood for racing

The package weight is 10kg, pretty heavy and everything feels solid!

Next stop, hook it up...it took me about 10minutes, I had to work with the shifter to mount it on the side of the Playseat, otherwise it would take propably 3 minutes.

The Pedals: They are on par with G25 (I do own a G25 which I will be selling now), the Clutch has a good stiffnes(strength), the Break is much stiffer as it should be, the gas is a bit too light for my taste but it gets the job done well. The quality feels good. You don't have the option to change the pedals, make them stiffer or lighter.

On testing the pedals on both Forza3 demo and Forza2...the pedals are not combined which means you can't use heel-toe. Either you break or gas maybe there will be a setup for this on Forza3, let's hope so

The Wheel: The wheel is BIG, when you race you almost feel like you are driving a real car. I really really like it. You have almost all the buttons of the controller on the wheel and you got some options to change your driving settings on the fly directly from the wheel.

1) You got 5 setups you can save...5 different games or 5 different setups example: 1 for Racing, 1 for Drag and 1 for Drifting, very good feature.

2) Sensitivity, 210-270-540 and 900...on the fly, even when you are in a race, you can change it...no problem

3) FFB, you can change the FFB strength both in the game and on the wheel 33%, 66% and 100%.

4) Shock sensitivity, this is the strength of the rumble in the wheel.

The Shifter: This one was the biggest surprise. On the pictures it didn't look nice but they are! Unlike G25 shifter you actually have to use FORCE to change gear (Thanks Fanatec, very much appreciated )

It works like a dream and when you mount it, it is very solid.

FFB in game: One word, Awesome! I allways felt that the MS wheel was to light but the Fanatec wheels FFB strength is an ANIMAL

It is very strong at the same time it is very smooth...you really feel the weight of the car in Forza3 demo, you feel if the car slides, back-front, the friction, everything. It works great with Forza2 and Perfect with Forza3 demo.

It works very very good on Forza2, but there is something speciall when you drive Forza3 demo with this wheel. You don't know what you are missing until you use this wheel!

I used the Clutch on Forza3 demo and I got 1,5 second faster time with the Porsche wheel on my third lap, the clutch and the shifter works perfect. You even have neutral support on the shifter...in case you want to save some gas when you're racing downhill on Fujimi

There is no delay in Forza3 demo!!! On some of the E3 videos I saw some delays between the actual racer and in the game movement but that's all history, no delay

Offcourse, everything isn't perfect with the Fanatec!

1) The Shifter pads behind the wheel are too small for my hands. They work fine, just gotta find them so I can shift

2) The price...even though I think it is worth every penny, a wheel at 330 euros can be a bit too high for some.

Tomorrow is a new day and I will test the wheel further with Forza3, Forza2 and some other games

All in all, I was very surprised that the Fanatec wheel works this damn good....esspecially the FFB, I love it

For $400 it better be good. How to get the extra $400?

Actually you can still get it for $300... you can buy the "Pure" edition for 200, then get the pedals and shifters (50 each). Then you can pass on the wireless dongle, because the wheel has a USB connector now for PS3 and PC.

I just wish the "on the fly" rotation adjustment had more than the 4 settings. 360, 720 and 450 are missing (all pretty common steering locks). I don't even know why they have 210 in there... that's like a kart! It'd be pretty hard to control a fullzise car like that.

Last edited:
You know what's fun? Teaching an 8 year old girl how to play the game. I set up my wheel and she loves it!

3 weeks 1 day till launch :D!

I'm going to get it and play it the ENTIRE damn weekend it comes out.

You know what's fun? Teaching an 8 year old girl how to play the game. I set up my wheel and she loves it!

Careful. Before you know it you'll be buying a 10 grand kart... with Forza 2 when I got my wheel I just had to have a go in a real one and now look at me.

screw that, im gonna buy a rusty shifter for 200 bucks at a flea market, slap a 12hp diesel generator motor in it and have plenty of fun, 10 grand my ass :p I'll be in last place, spending all my money :D

screw that, im gonna buy a rusty shifter for 200 bucks at a flea market, slap a 12hp diesel generator motor in it and have plenty of fun, 10 grand my ass :p I'll be in last place, spending all my money :D

Yes but for ten grand you get more like 50 HP and 110 MPH. Worth it!

My main question is...

Who thought it was a good idea to zoom in the cockpit view so much!?!? You can't even SEE the bulk of the steering wheel..period!!

Do you guys think it's because of the lack of attention to detail we've seen in a lot of the cockpit screens that have come out recently? I mean...we've decided they were less than stellar. Do you think the camera is zoomed in so much so we cannot see the rest of the interior?

I'm really confused on this one.

Call me gullible, but I do believe them that it's because they want the road to be visible. For example the first time I played GTR I had to move the seat way up because you couldn't see anything outside the car. This wasn't too bad in Test Drive Unlimited, but in simulators like GTR and Forza it's crucial that you see as much of the road as possible. Secondly, some of the interiors are garbage, but others are really nice (like the R8, although we all know why that one is the best). You can see the inside detailing of the car from the outside views and from garage view anyway, so any shortcuts that they might have taken in modeling the interiors would be noticed right away so there's no point trying to hide them by putting the camera so far up. Of course no one would be complaining if they made the camera adjustable.

I would have liked if they allowed you to look around more though. They were parading the whole thing about "we even modeled stuff you don't notice like radio buttons!" but what's the point if you can't even lower your camera view to look at them?

My main question is...

Who thought it was a good idea to zoom in the cockpit view so much!?!? You can't even SEE the bulk of the steering wheel..period!!

Do you guys think it's because of the lack of attention to detail we've seen in a lot of the cockpit screens that have come out recently? I mean...we've decided they were less than stellar. Do you think the camera is zoomed in so much so we cannot see the rest of the interior?

I'm really confused on this one.

I hate it. I can't see anything to the sides. GT5 and Need for Speed had great cockpit views and I never felt like I was blind or anything.

Call me gullible, but I do believe them that it's because they want the road to be visible. For example the first time I played GTR I had to move the seat way up because you couldn't see anything outside the car.

Funny thing is for me..I actually moved the cockpit view BACK when playing GTR/Race/Evo for the most part! I guess it's just a preference in personal style/taste?

I hate it. I can't see anything to the sides. GT5 and Need for Speed had great cockpit views and I never felt like I was blind or anything.

Yeah I'm used to the adjustable views of SimBin games.. Even NFS Shift was too close for my liking...but I could still deal with it because it was just a BIT further away than the Forza demo.

The only thing I can think of is... Forza has a lot more cars and they just don't have the space memory wise to fit that detailed of interiors to all the cars. Does that make sense to anyone? Or should that not be a problem?

It was for visibility purposes, people are still on CRT TV's and they have to cater to those as well as people with 60" plasmas. I tend to think it helps with not having shifter animations as well. I think either way the community has told them they want an adjustable option, which would be the best solution.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXzrJ4o-tOA&feature=player_profilepage#[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is... Forza has a lot more cars and they just don't have the space memory wise to fit that detailed of interiors to all the cars. Does that make sense to anyone? Or should that not be a problem?

It's not a memory issue because almost the entire interior is mapped for each car, the big issue is being able to see properly.

Grrrrr. what the fuck is the point of having fully modeled interiors if we cant see any of it. fuck. pisses me off.

Sorry. im sleep deprived as hell and a bit cranky

Grrrrr. what the fuck is the point of having fully modeled interiors if we cant see any of it. fuck. pisses me off.

Sorry. im sleep deprived as hell and a bit cranky

Dude, I feel ya. Supposedly people are getting their "special" copies already and I haven't heard anything about adjustable cockpit views... there seems to be little hope for us "immersion junkies".

EDIT: LOL!

"After a solid week of playtime I feel the Forza 3 Demo is ready for review. I?d like to start off with the bad because I want this review will be generally positive and free of bias."

:rofl:

Last edited: